Close

Default Hood/Breather modification

Can someone post how the hood was modified to be functional? It looks like they just cut holes in the lid, is that correct?
    A wise man said "Post counts don't mean a thing if you don't know what you're talking about".

PAST 1986 Mustang GT, 1996 Mustang GT
    PRESENT 1984 Mustang GT "FANTASy" 1976 F100 Stepside FE390

That is one part of what they did. They also cut a hole in the hood and mounted an 82 GT scoop on the hood. Why do you ask?
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

I want to mimic it on my 84. I am not cloning a Dominator, just taking inspiration from cars I like to personalize mine. They are not only era correct but carb'd Mustang correct.
    A wise man said "Post counts don't mean a thing if you don't know what you're talking about".

PAST 1986 Mustang GT, 1996 Mustang GT
    PRESENT 1984 Mustang GT "FANTASy" 1976 F100 Stepside FE390

Here is what it looked like.

Steve
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Anybody know what that rubber on the air cleaner is made from, are what factory car it came from?? 71 mustang, 70 Chevelle, 81 z-28 etc??

Rubber from the bottom of a garage door stapled into a loop and glued to the air cleaner.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Quote Originally Posted by bluesfannoz View Post
    Rubber from the bottom of a garage door stapled into a loop and glued to the air cleaner.
    High tech!!!
    2011 Mustang GT Track Day car
    1985 Mustang Dominator GT

Previous cars:
    1979 Mustang 5.0 upgraded to a 351W (1987 - 1991)
    1985 Black Mustang GT Dominator T-Top (bought from Bluesfannoz In 1992 sold in 1993 RIP)
    1990 Mustang GT Titanium hardtop w/black leather (1993 - 1994)
    2004 Mustang GT w/a few bolt ons 255 RWHP (2004 - 2006)
    1985 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red Factory Sunroof 32,000 miles - Sold to the right person (2013 - 2016)

Wonder if any rainwater drains were added to the a/c housing.
    prob not.
    past owned daily driven many memorable times with all
    1967 Mustang 'verti Sports Sprint 289 Holley 4vC4 2.79 lime gold blk vinyl (6/70-4/73) 100k
    1970 VW 113 Beetle modded 1650 5200 2v 4sp Hurst 4.13 grn blk leathette (1973-1977) 200k
    1975 VW 1303 S Beetle LaGrande 1600 EFI 4sp Hurst 3.88 lime grn tan cloth (1977-1980) 90k
    1985 LTD LX 5.0 CFI HO AOD 3.27 gray gray (1987-1990) 75k
    1986 Ranger XL 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5 sp 3.45 gray burgundy cloth (1990-1994) 180k
    current owned now weekly driven totally enjoyed
    1979 Mustang Cobra 61R 2.3T Holley 2305 2v '92 T5 Hurst 3.45 black orange decals (7/80- )
    1993 Ranger XLT R103 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5sp Hurst 3.45 calypso green gray (3/94- )

factory lid/air cleaner might have been a little restrictive, yes? I actually made ducts to ram air into the stock 85 AC housing, then finally ditched it and put on a open element type.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Nope You just don't drive it in heavy rain or park it facing up hill!

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    prob not.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Nope You just don't drive it in heavy rain or park it facing up hill!

Or car washing. Leave car show or cruise early if chance of rain. At work? Out and about? well...
    I should have said water drains.
    No outdoor winter parking (snow). Or near trees in fall (leaves). Bugs in summer (forward facing scoop). Screen?
    If a daily driver, could use a little more protection.
    Simple to do. Copy setup off a shaker style scoop.
    Most also had some sort of flap to open and close off the inlet.
    Would be possible to fab with cable control to interior.
    Last edited by gr79; 06-05-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Speaking of air cleaners, what do you think of this?Attachment 72054

Not bad! Did you make it yourself? Or locate it at a swap meet?
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Honestly I drove mine back in the day in all sorts of weather and never had a problem. Goes through your regular filter. That takes the brunt of debris so its life gets shortened. Other than that never had a stall due to water. Like I said just don't park it so the water runs down hill. Most of the rest of the time it evaporates before it makes it past the whole in the hood. Which btw is not completely to the back of the scoop.

Or car washing. Leave car show or cruise early if chance of rain. At work? Out and about? well...
    I should have said water drains.
    No outdoor winter parking (snow). Or near trees in fall (leaves). Bugs in summer (forward facing scoop). Screen?
    If a daily driver, could use a little more protection.
    Simple to do. Copy setup off a shaker style scoop.
    Most also had some sort of flap to open and close off the inlet.
    Would be possible to fab with cable control to interior.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Not bad! Did you make it yourself? Or locate it at a swap meet?
    Actually just dumb luck! Guy was advertising some parts and I asked him what else you got? "Oh yeah, an air cleaner from a Dominator that I stripped down to make into a drag car. I still have the hood too I think." SCORE

Spit hot chit right there
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

Yes very Nice Score!

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    Actually just dumb luck! Guy was advertising some parts and I asked him what else you got? "Oh yeah, an air cleaner from a Dominator that I stripped down to make into a drag car. I still have the hood too I think." SCORE
    Steve
    Previously owned:

prob not.
    So I just picked up this air cleaner (A/C) assy and hood from a 84 Dominator. I was cleaning it up when I noticed that there were 2 drain holes drilled in the base of the A/C assy and they were drilled at the low point, at the mouth of the snorkel opening. This is from a 84 Dominator and is slightly different from Steve's (bluesfannoz) 85. I checked it against a 83 A/C assy and there were no holes. A previous owner could have drilled them I guess but I'm betting Summiit Ford did it as 84 was the first year for the functional hood scoop. I noticed my hole pattern does not match the 20th Anniv Dominator's pattern on the lid. Here are pics- Steve, does yours have these holes?
    Attachment 72125 Attachment 72126 Attachment 72127 Attachment 72128 Attachment 72129
    Last edited by 83GTJIM; 06-09-2014 at 12:42 AM.

The shaker scoops in the muscle car days usually had small hoses added to route any water to the ground away from engine.
    A factory detail noticed at car shows.
    New flap kits can be found for certain cars like a Firebird Trans Am.
    I ducted air from the cowl area with no water problem. Duct is removed for the winter.
    Removed the fender intake long ago. It sucked up asphalt pebbles.
    Last edited by gr79; 06-09-2014 at 12:31 PM.

I will have to look for those holes on mine. Never noticed. The pattern of holes depended upon the tech who drilled them. I have seen that pattern on a couple of other cars. Mine are somewhat evenly spaced all the way around. That can been seen in the pictures in this thread as that is my car in the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    So I just picked up this air cleaner (A/C) assy and hood from a 84 Dominator. I was cleaning it up when I noticed that there were 2 drain holes drilled in the base of the A/C assy and they were drilled at the low point, at the mouth of the snorkel opening. This is from a 84 Dominator and is slightly different from Steve's (bluesfannoz) 85. I checked it against a 83 A/C assy and there were no holes. A previous owner could have drilled them I guess but I'm betting Summiit Ford did it as 84 was the first year for the functional hood scoop. I noticed my hole pattern does not match the 20th Anniv Dominator's pattern on the lid. Here are pics- Steve, does yours have these holes?
    Attachment 72125 Attachment 72126 Attachment 72127 Attachment 72128 Attachment 72129
    Steve
    Previously owned: