Close

Thread: Seat Fabric

Default Seat Fabric

Long story short, I want(ed) to re-cover my pair or Recaro LS-C's to match my original 85GT seats. My originals are the light/dark grey with red piping. After talking to TMI, it looked like the total bill for fabric alone would be over $350. Is there any alternative to going with TMI?
    '85 1E GT ~ Terminator swap in progress

$350 for fabric is a good price, and unfortunately, it's going to be your best option. There isn't a company (besides tmi) that makes aftermarket covers for those seats (w/ the Pace Car pattern..but they are almost $900) so your only other option would be a local upholstery shop. They are going to be a lot more expensive though.

You could scrap using the Recaros and just find some nice used GT seats, but even that will run at least $150-200. Look at what it cost for TMI covers in the grey with red piping for regular GT seats, they run about $300-350, so $350 plus the cost for TMI to stitch custom Recaro covers (which is an extra $100 I believe) is a bargain.

I would move forward with your original idea. Having Recaros made to look like GT seats will look killer and set your car apart. If you can afford to do it, it will be worth the cost.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear86 View Post
    $350 for fabric is a good price, and unfortunately, it's going to be your best option. There isn't a company (besides tmi) that makes aftermarket covers for those seats (w/ the Pace Car pattern..but they are almost $900) so your only other option would be a local upholstery shop. They are going to be a lot more expensive though.

You could scrap using the Recaros and just find some nice used GT seats, but even that will run at least $150-200. Look at what it cost for TMI covers in the grey with red piping for regular GT seats, they run about $300-350, so $350 plus the cost for TMI to stitch custom Recaro covers (which is an extra $100 I believe) is a bargain.

I would move forward with your original idea. Having Recaros made to look like GT seats will look killer and set your car apart. If you can afford to do it, it will be worth the cost.
    I agree.

I think I made it a little confusing. I have all the original seats from my car, But I dont plan on using them. The Recaros I have are MUCH more comftorable, and arent really in bad shape, they're just all black. They arent the pace car seats, I dont really like those TBH. I might still go ahead with this idea, But not any time soon. To be perfectly honest, I wasnt looking to spend this much money on this project.
    '85 1E GT ~ Terminator swap in progress

FEP Senior Member

Amazing! Like your idea I might have to try that. The price seems fair as well.
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

I understood you perfectly. You want to recover your Recaros in the GT seat material because you want the original look of the GT seats with the comfort of the Recaros, but you want to see if there are any alternatives to TMI because the $350 you were quoted for materials alone was more than you wanted to spend. What I was saying is that $350 is a good deal for the materials and you won't find anywhere that will do it cheaper. I believe they charge an extra $100 to make the covers, so this project would run about $450...which is a good deal. The only other options you have would be a local upholstery shop, but I guarentee they will charge more than $450 just for the materials.

I think the idea is awesome and I really hope you go through with it.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

$350 for cloth material for two buckets is on the high retail side of things. With a little investigation you can find a good match to the OEM GT material. You are going to have to do the back seat as well to keep everything uniform so a little variation of material from the original isn't going to make that much of a difference to notice.
    I would contact a local upholstery shop, swing your car by them and see what they quote you. You may be shocked as not every shop is looking to run you thru the mill so to speak. We will do a complete recover for $1000 if we have the patterns already on hand for the seats you are wanting covered. Good luck with it
    four 5 Customs - Custom Upholstery StL

85 Hatch 5oh EFI transplant
    93 LX Vert.... Deceased