Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I REALLY NEED HELP!!! 1981 mustang need help passing smog

I was told my car 1981 ford mustang with a boss 392 engine doesn't pass smog because I have no emission control parts or parts to pass smog like valves canister nd other stuff, does any one have a diagram of parts or know where I can buy parts in the Bay Area for four eye mustang

I really need help my permit to drive ends next month

For anyone else in this situation, Summit is still selling them

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6007d392rt

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel707 View Post
    I was told my car 1981 ford mustang with a boss 392 engine doesn't pass smog because I have no emission control parts or parts to pass smog like valves canister nd other stuff, does any one have a diagram of parts or know where I can buy parts in the Bay Area for four eye mustang

Start planning a fall back option right know. You have three options, and maybe a fourth option, the rolling 25 year period from which the specific emission calibration for you car does not have to be cross checked with you engine.

Option 1: Take a leaf out of Ak Millers book and Convert it to Propane Gas, with an Impco CA 300 A5 270 HP 432 cfm carb and its feedback system to mate with a Duraspark or TFI ignition system.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    The octane rating of most commercial propane blends by Anti Knock Index (AKI is RON+MON/2 as per std US pump label) is 95, or by Research Octane Number, its 99 RON.

The advantage is that any time you strike crude oil via exploration, propane is a cheap by product of the cracking process, it is after all called Rock Gas by most petrochemical engineers, so it has to be gotten rid of some how, so why not sell for BBQ's and propane torches...

The price varies. See http://www.arrowheadlpgas.com/docume...as%20facts.pdf

Once pressurized, it becomes Liquified Petroleum/Propane Gas (LPG or LP Gas, or just propane), Chemical Formula. C3H8. LP gas requires an ignition source of over 900 degrees F to ignite, Boiling Point. -44 degrees Fahrenheit.

Propane is actually huge in North America, you guys are in fact the world experts in it but on a percentage basis, less so than Australian, New Zealand and the Netherlands.

See http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...0688&showall=1, and for the best forum, hook on to the "Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10" forum. It rocks! http://fuelsforum.rasoenterprises.com/viewforum.php?f=5

Now, about those Ak Miller items. There were four Fox kits, only one factory, the other three FX'S

The first kits were 2.3 A code 1982 Granadas

1. That engine above in Jays book is posted here in its splendor

It was in an 82 Red Ak Miller RS Capri with 351W conversion, and then twin CA 425 Impcos for 920 cfm, and two E series converters able to flow 650 horsepower, and two nice big turbos. The kit was a 1982, I think, gave 15 mpg US highway.

There were three other kits.

2. The factory 2.3 non turbo A code, which is as above in the previous post

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...psf8b0ed3e.jpg

See
    http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8176/...2fd3d5eeca.jpg
    http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8321/...297936c15e.jpg

3. Very importantly, a 1980 Capri Turbo Carb and Propane Dual fuel item, which had the EFI Turbo/SVO exhast manifold and T03 blower with all the stock A code EGR gear and no internal mods. It gave 33 mpg highway on gasoline, and 22.5 mpg US highway on propane, but was fully California compliant. Range was 1000 miles with one tiny 1980 fuel tank and another 46 liter (12.1 US GAL) tank.

Then there was the fourth Fox kit, the neatest, which was one kit which took the stock 4.2 Windsor from 119 hp to about 210 hp with just a propane carb and a turbo. It was dual fuel, gasoline and propane, with RWHP up from 85 stock to 150 turboed. There's a Fox XR7 Cougar with the kit in the book.

All the kits were operative, and fairly simple Impco based kits. I've used these kits in my 1984 250 Falcon,

http://kastang.tripod.com/fsp/xecute.html

my 1982 Cologne V6 Cortina, and my mates 1974 350 Chevy powered Holden pickup, and they are the worlds easiest carb and converter set ups ever.

I guess the reason it never got further is Ak swapped to the Over the Hill Gang OHG carbs after the Impco 2.3 normally aspirated kit. All that Fox V8 I4 stuff never went further, Ak and Marilyn and AME just did personal conversions for the California market, and they were always CARB exempt. I guess there was no option for 50 states dual fuel kits, and so the LPG dedicated factory Fox options sort of died out. Buick and Impco continued the work when the GM3800 got rolled out, but the Factory Impco/Ford kits were all over by 1984. Maybe it didn't pay off for a cash strapped Ford rolling out the Diesel LSC and Lincoln Mk VII compact, and especially the Toyo Kogo Diesel Tempo, they were the obvious econo and fleet vehicles, which Ford was pushing hard

The reason for the comparitive lack of propane vehicles in the US isn't a surprise, even though Impco and OHG and Century are US companies who are leaders on equipment design. Its basically that you've got LNG and CNG and diesel and the two or three grades of petroleum, so it requires a perceived need in the market. The growth in port fuel injection and turbos and Diesel engines has limited its appeal in the US, and now hydrogen fuel cell and electric options, so there are other competitive options unless the price of propane drops some, it'll be a niche market. Its different in Australia, New Zealand and Holland where its sales are massive because of cheap Bass Strait and North Sea rock gas right to refineries. The US gasoline industry is just better structured for petroleum rather than LP Gas.

Where its good is in forklifts and fleet vehicles, but Chrysler has done some really cool work with the 130 RON Compressed Natural Gas (methane), and it remains to be seen if LPG is as good as some of the new

You have to put a toroidal 11 US GAL at 80% full tank where the spare wheel was, and run it as an LPG dedicated car. You can run it as a gasoline car "off road", but it cannot be run as an Unleaded or leaded gasoline Boss 392 car in CA because

a)the block is not newer or the same year as your car
    b) the block and engine combination has never received an California model emission calibration (cam timing , ignition timing, 50000 mile durability test required), as it has no authorized code from any model legal for CA state use
    c)its heads don't have EGR crossover ports or a valid CARB or EO number. If you use 351M heads from a 1981 truck, it would pass the visual inspection if you used a reworked version the authorized 4-bbl Windsor or 351m Edelbrock intake manifold with 4180c hOLLEY 4-BBL. You'd have to cut either one down to suit the 9.206" Boss 351 block, the 351w 4v HO Windsor was 9.469" tall and the water filler neck could be used if the small port 2v 351m heads were matched to the 351 W 4V HO intake, the 251 m is much harder as its made for a 10.306" tall block.
    d)its induction package is not emissions area V8 Mustang spec in any form. (If it was Coyote 5.0, or Crate 5.0 Cammer, or Boss 5.0 or newer 5.8 Quad Cam spec, then you can upgrade to ODBII, and you can have a conformance check, and your good to go, but not an OHV pre 1981 engine block).
    e) At the very least, 1981 D code, or subsequent 1982 to 2013 model year emissions equipment must be present. So the Department of Transport are expecting all the 4.2 D code , or subsequent 5.0 2V/4V/CFI/EFI F or M code ear to be present

Option 2: Sit the tests, and pass it. Generally, CA makes you sit an IM test, a visual inspection for all original gear listed on a California state approved emission decal, and after a certain age, you are able to change the engine to a post 1980 regular production option (RPO)model unleaded engine as long as its paper work is updated and then vehicle is then assessed as if it were that car with that RPO code engine. You are not allowed to put an older engine in, unless you recertify it againt an alterantive Propane (LPG) or Natural Gas (CNG) fuel option, and apply for an exemption. If it fails, you have to do a full emissions test and go to Option 1 or 3

Option 3: Copy a valid RPO/DSO spec emissions package to pass the visual inspection. Your car was originally able to be optioned with a factory D code 4.2 V8, then the later F and M/E and T code 5.0 and, for a few years, a 5.8 road burners. They were in 2 and 4-bbl carb, CFi and EFI. Minimum requirement for a visual inspection is all the original 1981 to 1995 pre ODBII castings or excepted SEMA interchanges with EO (Executive Order calibration code for that years D code engine), then you need those emissions parts ASAP to be legal on the street with a gasoline Boss 392 block. CA spec Catalyst, a Charcoal canister, air pump, evaporative emissions, AIR, cam spec and EGR valves as per the standard optioned D, F, M/E/T and C code engines. There were certain F 600 370 and F250 460 unleaded engines with 4-bbl combos in trucks which can be made to be emissions legal in 80'S Mustangs if certain emissions equipment is present and testing takes place.

You can do a block change from Windsor OHV back to Cleveland Boss, but you have to have non canted valve heads and factory or aftermarket EO coded castings, no exceptions. You can swap in a larger engine legal if its brought to a regular production option spec, like the 1995 C-code, 5.8L 300hp V8 (SVT Cobra R) Saleen 5.8/351 Windsor OHV SN 95

See http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/p...e&comm=&page=1

Take a look at this. It's a special C-code V8 built especially for the Cobra R. This engine is a 5.8L engine that pumps out 300 horsepower. It's a marine block with aluminum pistons, forged steel rods, GT-40 heads and special intake manifolds. This engine has a couple of modifications to the original configuration.

Interior Color: tan saddle
    Visible Options: C-code V8
    but a Cleveland Boss 351 taken out to 392 cubes is technically like making a 1988 De Tomaso Pantera legal in CA. Its possible to do so only if you walk through the methods that they used in the late 80's to get the 1987-1990 Ohio assembled Panteras to pass.

No-one remembers the Amerisport Pantera grey imports, as they were CKD (completely knocked down kits, not CBU, completely built up). From Round at the ends and HI in the middle Ohio. Cleveland rocks.

They had ballistic Aussie made Cleveland NASCAR/SVO blocks, and were sort of forgotten as everyone thought they were just reheated 75 Pantera L's.

You know, the one Elvis was reputed to have shot with his gun when it wouldn't start due to vapor lock. "A 168 mph car fails to get you away from your fans", or. "Nice guy shoots Panther" isn't a great Lincoln Mercury sales line.

Well, the Aussies were making US 1973 Emissions compliant 216 hp 5.8 Cleveland 4V's for De Tomaso, and even organized a restart of the production four years after the last Cleveland tooling engines were cast in Geeolong back in 1982. Ford Motorsport sold the Aussie blocks for a while, so bonafide Panteras with 351C were around 10 to 13 years after the engine was pensioned off in the US. Having said that, some Broncos and F150's and some Excalibur's were running the tall block 351M and even the 400 till 1983, so it wasn't like there weren't US options around for it.

From 1987 to 1990, the over seas Panteras had all sorts of engine, be they good old 351 W truck engines, or Aussie Motorsport blocks, then the ill fated but much improved 5 liter versions came out in Europe, which technically flopped, but had 305 hp 5.0 GT40 style roller cam engines with all the good gear.

For the US, since the 351C could use 351M 400 Ford spec heads, the unleaded gas issues were easy fixed. The US 4180 600 cfm carb used in the 5.0 HO and 460 4v engines was a cinch. Cat exhausts and getting emissions passes was a case of blending the 351m F150 stuff into the 351C format. And since the Super Cobra Jet and 351 HO engines of 1973 and some non compliant 74 versions had a good EGR intake manifold, it wasn't a problem getting the vital 13 emissions structures organized. TFI ignition and all the hard stuff was ex Lima 460, so it all bolted in.

Its forgotten that 7200 of these often badly welded, but awesome beasts got released. GT40 gearbox, Pinto rack and pinion, Ansa quad exhausts, Cleveland engine and Ghia styling, what's not to like? Even arrest me red and 335 P7's sort of make a Lamborghini LP400S look...tame!

In both Aussie at the Toy Shop and in Ohio, Italian Panteras were made up better than the original. Awesome, forgotten rides, e.e.e.e, the most eddible eightees exotica eva!

Damn xctacy you need to take a trip to Boston so we can talk, you have the most informative, one off, ADHD posts of anyone I know.

Manuel707, I'll translate, he said without a lot of time and money you're screwed.
    Sorry man.
    83 GT w/ T-Tops (JeffCleaned)
    2021 Turbo Blue Audi S5

This is why I'm glad I do not live in CA.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

Quote Originally Posted by Mgino757 View Post
    CA isn't really the problem. The problem is the people who live in CA and assume that they can remove the emissions equipment or install an engine that wasn't originally available. Craigslist is full of Mustangs like the one that the OP is dealing with, and the sellers either don't understand how things work, or they just lie. Either way, most of the cars end up in the Pick-N-Pull yard. And the fault lies with the people who modified them without thinking about the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel707 View Post

Even if you could collect the necessary emissions parts, it wouldn't make a difference. The largest engine available in '81 was a 255 V8, so no matter what you do with a 392, it won't ever be able to pass a smog check. Mr Joshua is right; unfortunately you're screwed. Your only option is to install a smaller engine with all of the proper emissions equipment.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

Glad my cars never fail!

I get all my cars to pass California emissions

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    CA isn't really the problem. The problem is the people who live in CA and assume that they can remove the emissions equipment or install an engine that wasn't originally available. Craigslist is full of Mustangs like the one that the OP is dealing with, and the sellers either don't understand how things work, or they just lie. Either way, most of the cars end up in the Pick-N-Pull yard. And the fault lies with the people who modified them without thinking about the consequences.

Even if you could collect the necessary emissions parts, it wouldn't make a difference. The largest engine available in '81 was a 255 V8, so no matter what you do with a 392, it won't ever be able to pass a smog check. Mr Joshua is right; unfortunately you're screwed. Your only option is to install a smaller engine with all of the proper emissions equipment.
    I just saw a CL ad in the bay area that had a modified car for sale. In the ad, the seller had the following comment:

"This car won't pass smog, so if that's a problem, then this isn't the car for you..."

I had thought to myself that the seller made.the car unsellable to anyone here in California that needs the car to be street legal.

I agree - the OP is in quite a pickle. The only way for his car to pass the emissions test is a is going to prove quite difficult. The car has to pass a visual inspection as well. I'm just glad that I've kept my car completely stock - passing the test was a breeze for me.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Mgino757 View Post
    Really?
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

No smog checks here!
    1983 Mercury Zephyr Z7 AM Radio, no a/c, 200 3.3l I6, C5 Automatic, Police scanner, 40 Channel Cobra 29LTD CB radio, PA system mounted under bumper

2008 Ford F150 XL 2wd v6, 5 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by jessew View Post
    No smog checks here!
    No rusty cars here!
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

That's not entirely true. You can put any -automobile- engine you like in that '82, so long as
    it's the same year or newer than the body, and you include all the emissions gear from
    the car the engine came from. Once the swap is done, you have a one-time trip to the
    referee, where if everything is in order, you get a sticker on your door post that tells the
    smog station to test your car according to the requirements of the car the engine came
    from. Now the trick here is, you have to know of an '82 or newer automobile that came with
    a 351 and 4V carb. You can't swap in a truck engine.

Between the engine swaps and EO parts, California emissions are not that big a burden if
    people just take the time to educate themselves. The sad part is, most of the stuff people
    ignorantly strip off their cars doesn't affect performance at all.
    Last edited by JACook; 05-25-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    That's not entirely true...
    Considering the OP's situation with a 392, I don't see how anything isn't entirely true. But nevertheless you're naturally right about the potential for legal swaps. Unfortunately too many guys either don't know about or don't care about the ability to install or replicate a newer engine.

On that topic, here's something that I've wondered about: Were the '95 Cobra Rs street legal?
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

Best bet for the OP is to install a bone stock EFI roller motor or to find someone that will "pass" the car, the 2nd option being much easier. As soon as you leave the DMV, reinstall the 392.
    82 Mercury Capri - 11.99 @ 112, AFR headed Mountaineer motor
    86 Mustang LX Coupe - the original Coyote swap 4-eye. Gone but not forgotten!

So, glad I don't live in CA, for many reasons. Emissions B.S. are just one, the others are verboten topics on this forum.

Even here in NYS we have a rolling 26 year exemption. I can do anything I want to my '79, as long as the brakes, lights, and horn work.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

So looking around a bit this morning, I see that one could get a Grand Marquis in '81 with
    a 351. Now, granted it's a 2-barrel engine but at least it appears to have been available with
    dual exhaust. Carb swaps are much easier than exhaust swaps...

BTW, I'll take 50% humidity and our every-other-year emissions tests any day over 95˚/
    95%, road salt, and having to get state and/or city inspection stickers. Everyone gets it one
    way or another, no matter where you live.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

Very true! This is why I retained my emmisions and went to SEFI on mt LTD LX. Will be doing the same to my 85 GT 4bbl 5 speed at some point.

He could try. Doesn't hurt to try. Though, you are right, probably wont make a difference. I tried with the 331 in my 85 GT. Leaned the living hell out of the carb.... came close to passing... but I didn't have any cats on it. I'm thinking mine would have passed IF I had cats on it. He MAY pass if he puts a 86-93 4 cat'd h-pipe on it, all the smog equipment and goes for a long drive to get the cats hot before smog. However... the VISUAL would be the issue. But also, the Cubes are more than what my 331 is. It's a chance... and it COULD be worth the risk.

Or, he can find a shop that will pass it for a couple bills.
    Last edited by Marz; 05-26-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    So, glad I don't live in CA, for many reasons. Emissions B.S. are just one, the others are verboten topics on this forum.

Even here in NYS we have a rolling 26 year exemption. I can do anything I want to my '79, as long as the brakes, lights, and horn work.

Jess
    We have an exemption here in CA, but at this time, it applies to pre-1975 models.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    So looking around a bit this morning, I see that one could get a Grand Marquis in '81 with
    a 351. Now, granted it's a 2-barrel engine but at least it appears to have been available with
    dual exhaust. Carb swaps are much easier than exhaust swaps...

BTW, I'll take 50% humidity and our every-other-year emissions tests any day over 95˚/
    95%, road salt, and having to get state and/or city inspection stickers. Everyone gets it one
    way or another, no matter where you live.
    What he said!

I dont like the politics here, but te weather is second to none(well pretty close!)

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

FYI- I just passed my POS '88GT through this craptastic new "Star Certified" program that the state is using to try & exterminate all pre-OBD2 vehicles with. The car is mostly stock; only having power pulleys, 3.73 rear gear, a cat back w\dumps, & a K&N panel filter in the stock airbox. The car failed the 1st time with the stock 4-cat h-pipe. Interestingly, he had no problem with me running a more modern 2-cat (3-way monolith) BBK h-pipe & it passed. He stated that all he cared about was that it had catalytic converters on the car when I asked. So, there does seem to be a little leeway with these guys; but not much.... i watched him fail the guy before me for simply having an aftermarket cold air intake installed....
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

FEP Senior Member

The best way to get a good rust free four eyed car in California is by waiting for suckers to strip all the emission parts off, then let them realize the mistake they've made, and buy the car for super cheap. Nobody wants to mess with a car thats hard to pass smog with, so the cars are almost unsellable on craigslist. This also leads to an incidental accrual of backfees at the DMV, another death nail in the foureyed mustang in California.

I bought a 4 cat magnaflow legal pipe I use only for passing the test, then take it off immediately to preserve it for the next time. I have 4 foxes and they all get the same pipe when its time for the test. Its an expensive part, but the hassle of gross pollouter status is far worse than the price of a pipe divided by four cars.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

The Magnaflow 4-cat pipe is a good piece, unlike some of the aftermarket cats that barely
    last till the next test cycle. I run the Magnaflow pipe on my '85 hatch year 'round. And it
    performs better than it did with the Catco 2-cat pipe that was on it before.

As long as the engine isn't running too rich, the Magnaflows last.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

Whith all the technology out there you would think some company could make a simple bolt on emission system for carbed cars, For built motors,Most emission stuff dosent work on theses old cars anyways, After 20 years.Can you even buy replacment emissions parts today.I mean everything. Just a thought.

Ask around, everybody "knows a guy" that makes things pass. Seriously, I do not advocate breaking laws, but i'm just pointing out that for $200, including all paperwork, "any" car can pass if you go to the right person. And that is here in sunny Los Angeles, CA. I'm sure there are others in the bay area that can do the same.
    Last edited by 83glxdroptop; 05-27-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: misspelled words

Quote Originally Posted by 83glxdroptop View Post
    Ask around, everybody "knows a guy" that makes things pass. Seriously, I do not advocate breaking laws, but i'm just pointing out that for $200, including all paperwork, "any" car can pass if you go to the right person. And that is here in sunny Los Angeles, CA. I'm sure there are others in the bay area that can do the same.
    what he said, then dont tell people that you know a "smog" guy

Considering the OP's situation with a 392, I don't see how anything isn't entirely true. But nevertheless you're naturally right about the potential for legal swaps. Unfortunately too many guys either don't know about or don't care about the ability to install or replicate a newer engine.

On that topic, here's something that I've wondered about: Were the '95 Cobra Rs street legal?

Yes, it passed fully, eventually!!! In a crazy twist, Ford waited until the last year of the Mustang's pushrod engine to offer a production Mustang with a 351. Only 250 units of the '95 Mustang Cobra R were produced with the 351W. That R's engine produced 300 hp at 4,800 rpm and 365 lb-ft of torque at 3,750 rpm.

Read more: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...#ixzz2Ua7Y3Ijo

You can get 400 hp with 9k fairly easily, not sure about CA legality.

http://www.fordcobraengines.com/engi...tang-fox-body/

The engine had already been given at least 5 solid years of development after Roush cobled one up for an export Aussie Falcon 5.8 project

Jack Roush had a 305 hp/350 lb-ft engine calibration for 50 states compliance in 1990, and it was previewed by Ford Australia before being a non starter for the release of the 1992 EB Falcon.

It was a 1990 EA Ford Falcon 351 GT development 'hack'

which was suposed to be written off. Instead, it is proof of just what Jack was up to for the Ford motorcompany world wide.

Windsor 5.8L 351 CID V8
    305 hp, 350 lb-ft
    0-62 mph - 7.3 seconds
    Standing 1/4 mile - 15.4 seconds after factory emiisions and durability test 50 000 miles. The engine was way down on power, and was on LTD rims with 205 65 15 tires in a 3500 pound car.

It was a factory Ford prototype. The car never got released, or sold to the public. The concept car was shown around the motor shows then disappeared (they thought!) but the late Adrian Ryan and some helpers from inside Ford Australia, took this and put it away. Like all certified pre production developement hacks, Ford Australia wanted it crushed. After many years later and long forgotten, it was returned when the Discovery Centre Opened. It was red when Wheels tested it in 1990, then got EB updates and blue paint for the Melbourne Auto show.

Now back to the OP.

Take a leaf from my book.

One torodial tank. See Canvaspaul's Lavato Renzi set up in his 1981 Mustang 3.3 Notch

one Impco CA 300 A5 carb on a honed out Holley carb base,

and an E series converter and VFF40 vac lockoff, and for about 500 bucks, you'll get CA emissions certification.

You'd have to dip into some 1976 LTD II or 1977-1979 Thunderbird emissions bits, as well as the stock F code 1982 parts, which should cover off the D code 1981 spec emissions parts.

There is no such thing as a "392 Boss" block unless its some kind of aftermarket concoction, so if its just a Boss 302 or Boss351, it'll be pre October 1971, and the LP Gas conversion 'Should' cover it all. The original emissions parts for a 302 GT should be applied to ensure you don't get a reject. You can rehead a Windsor block easily to become a 302 Boss or Nascar spec 351w with Boss heads, but you have to run LP Gas to consumate an emissions legal package. The post 1980 block rule isn't hard, even an earlier engine would be okay if its alternative fuel.

If its LPG dedicated, you can run gasoline in off road (drag race or autocourse) situations. You've gotta run the 351M/400 emission headers, air pump, Gas tank, evap, aftermarket good exhast with compliant 302 cats and have the fuel pump blocked off and tell them the gasoline tank is to removed when tested will allow the testing authority to perform an impartial test. You can run serpentine belt drive if you use the 351 Truck balancer. If they get screwy over the engine year, there are plenty of 1982 Aussie 4.9 or 5.8 Cleveland blocks which would cover off your requirements. Almost every 1982 Australian Fairlane and LTD and 1982-1985 Australian F100/Bronco ran one, with the blocks better quality than the early US 1970 to 1973 engines.

Australian Police Force "Police interceptor" H & T code 200 HP XE 5.8 Falcons come up often, and blocks are still around

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-2111080/?Cr=5

Any of the DSO/VIN H,B,T or P code Aussie heads engine block will meet your 1981 to 1982 age engine requirements.

The New South Wales Leaded RON 97 Emission XD engine codes* undisclosed HP loss
    H = 5.8 Cleveland 4V 2V head 200 hp DIN net single exhaust
    B = 4.9 Cleveland 4V 2V head 188 hp DIN net single exhaust,

The XE leaded 97 RON engine codes
    T = 5.8 Cleveland 4V 2V head 200 hp DIN net single exhaust
    P = 4.9 Cleveland 4V 2V head 188 hp DIN net single exhaust,

The New South Wales Leaded RON 97 Emission XE engine codes* undisclosed HP loss
    H = 5.8 Cleveland 4V 2V head 200 hp DIN net single exhaust
    B = 4.9 Cleveland 4V 2V head 188 hp DIN net single exhaust

Ak Miller used to do the lpg things all the time. Go in to succeed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast