Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Been a little bit since I updated this.
    We brought the block down to the engine builder. He said he basically couldn't do anything with it since the main bearings were already bored .20
    He did say he had another (new) block sitting in one of his storage containers. He was going to pull it out and see what kind of condition it was in and let us know.
    The heads had two intake bolts broken off that I didn't notice. He was going to try and get them out. So we are basically sitting waiting for info from him.

I did however make a contact with one of my customers who has an 85 tbird that he is pulling the block and putting a newer roller block in it. He said I could have the existing engine.
    I went over to take a look at it and he started it up. Ran very smooth and quiet. So we have a few options just waiting for the engine builder.

Talked to the engine builder Saturday night... He was able to get the broken bolts out of the heads "just barely" he said.
    Block was sent out to be cleaned to see just how bad it really is.

I traded a puppy to one of my friends in exchange for fabbing and installing subframe connectors and torque boxes in the car and fixing the hole in the floor. He's coming by to pickup the car this week sometime.

Stripped the sound deadener out of the interior this weekend and moved the large parts out of the car into the trailer. Found what was left of the build sheet any info has been long faded from the paper.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  40.7 KB
Views: 96
Size:  47.2 KB
Views: 99
Size:  40.6 KB
    Last edited by Yeeha racing; 08-06-2013 at 10:24 AM.

The carnage has begun...

We started prepping the car to install the Subframe Connectors and Kick outs for the roll cage.

The entire interior has been stripped out, The front clip has been removed and repairs have started on the rust.
    Name:  IMG_0813.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  60.0 KB

We cut a section out of the shock tower to fix some rust.
    Name:  IMG_0828.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  67.8 KB

The Rear has been dropped to get access to the torque boxes.
    Name:  IMG_0827.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  62.5 KB

We cut the tunnel out for a couple of reasons, The car will have a C4 and there was rust around the seam in the tunnel.

Name:  IMG_0826.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  73.3 KB

Got some stuff today from upr. Upper and lower torque box reinforcements.
Views: 86
Size:  55.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  84.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  116.4 KB
    Work is on hold for now. My buddies mig decided to eject the lining with the wire. We're waiting for the mig parts to arrive to continue.

Sand blasted and painted the pedal assembly.
Views: 78
Size:  70.5 KB

Dup post

Some more progress...

Trans Tunnel has been fabbed and welded in.
    Name:  IMG_0856.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  85.4 KB
    UPR Upper and Lower Torque box reinforcements have been installed
    Name:  IMG_0857.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  102.9 KB
    Subframe Connectors are completely installed.
    Name:  IMG_0855.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  117.8 KB

We also cut the rot out of the passenger rear quarter in front of the wheel and welded in a patch. No pics of that but I should have a pic by the weekend.
    One more small hole to patch in front of the drivers door hinge then we apply the rust converter to the bottom of the car and paint it.
    Once the paint is dry we will reinstall the rear and interior to make it a roller again and move it back to my house.
    Also I picked up my first Autometer gauge for the dash (found a Cobalt AFR wideband gauge for $78 new couldn't pass up the deal).
    Got some news from the engine builder he finished inspecting the block and found a few issues. The channel were the distributor gear rides is chewed up and there is an issue with one of the timing cover bolts. Just waiting on a chance to get down there and discuss options. Hopefully that will be soon.

Guess it's time to update this as we've made some significant progress.

Purchased a new gas tank... old one was about to crumble. My buddy Charles has been going through things as he gets bored at night... He's rewired all the lights in the car and wired up the fuel pump relays. Cleaned up and installed the sending unit.

He also surprised me with a C4 Trans last night so we now have a transmission for the car. In the coming weeks we are pulling the trans apart and rebuilding it. I hope to be able to get some pics up here. Unfortunately due to our schedules working on the car now happens after dark as it's getting dark around 5:30- 6 pm. here now. Can't get any decent pictures.

Had a Saturday without the wife and kids so I mocked up the gauge cluster in between doing laundry and telecommuting.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Yeeha racing; 10-28-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Well went to visit the old girl at my buddy Charles' house. All the welding is done, the car is back together and is a roller again. He started rewiring the car. The wire harnesses in the car were all chopped to pieces. Especially the wires under the dash. He surprised me with a C4/5 Transmission he got from a coworker. Told me I don't have to worry about a trans.

We started tearing it apart Tuesday night and knowing it had issues when he picked it up we found what was wrong. It was apparently recently rebuilt and the builder left clutches out of the trans. So there were several Steels next to steels as well as the thrust washers put in backwards which had the clutch pack under constant pressure. The clutches that were in there were toast so we are looking for a rebuild kit and hopefully re-assembling the trans in the near future.

Plan for this weekend is to clean the cases and paint them.

Still looking for a good short block and drive shaft for the car.

Well, it was a busy week last week.
    With Halloween and Mischief night we were busy around here.
    Family Tradition on Mischief night we go across the street and screw with my in-laws cars. Wrapped their van in toilet paper, we got yelled at last year for shrink wrapping the whole car with pallet wrap because they were late for work. This year the got us back as well packed our door handles with Vaseline.
    Name:  IMG_1012.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  65.3 KB

He also disassembled the C4/5 trans and inspected it. Found that the front pump is basically brand new as well as most of the bushings the solenoid and fluids were new as well. We figure it was rebuilt recently by someone who didn't know what they were doing. The only thing wrong with the trans was the thrust washers were put in backwards creating a lot of pressure on the clutches and steels. Which subsequently burned up. So... I will be ordering a rebuild kit in the near future to rebuild the trans and beef it up some with Kevlar clutches and bands. Plans are to install a TCI Streetfighter valve body or a Transbrake valve body.
    I picked up the cases to degrease and paint but haven't gotten around to it. With it getting dark early now and no garage to work in it's tough to get things done.
    Name:  IMG_1018.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  151.6 KBName:  IMG_1019.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  127.5 KBName:  IMG_1020.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  130.0 KB

Wife ordered a portable garage for me it should be here on the 12th... She's so awesome. This weekend will be mostly tearing down the pool, swingset, and pulling a tree so we can put the garage up. The beast is a roller again, Charles put the skins back on and wired up the headlights.
    Name:  IMG_1016.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  90.6 KB
    Last edited by Yeeha racing; 11-06-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Name:  IMG_1023.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  98.9 KB
    My buddy Charles and I trouble shot a few electrical issues and rewired the entire dash as well as the power windows in the doors.
    Took us two hours to figure out the proper wiring for a DPDT switch to work with the power windows, but we got it!

Blasted and painted the transmission cases today.

Chris Wood

Looks awesome, like what you are doing so far, keep the pics coming!

Like I said in the beginning of the thread. I'm surrounded by an awesome family and awesome friends. My friend Charles called me up the other day said he found an engine. I told him I wont have money for a couple of weeks. He said ok. Tonight he asked if he could come over and work on some parts for his race car. When he got there he opened the trunk of his car and said I've got a surprise. Pulled out a short block roller 302. We spent the rest of the night tearing it down and cleaning it with the help of another friend Russ and my step son Emil. Everything was in great shape so I think this ones a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wood View Post
    Looks awesome, like what you are doing so far, keep the pics coming!
    Thanks Chris. Nice to see someone is reading this. Lol I've been talking to myself for months.

You are not alone. You have been doing awesome work on your car. Keep it up.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Nice build thread.
    85 ford mustang gt 5.0 h.o.5 spd
    68 chevy nova SS 350 (slightly modded)
    92 ford ranger prerunner

Chris Wood

Quote Originally Posted by Yeeha racing View Post

Thanks Chris. Nice to see someone is reading this. Lol I've been talking to myself for months.
    I am following it, the whole "family project" concept makes it worth it. Many on here are turned off by modifying these cars, you would get more post in your thread if you were painfully searching for every wire, nut, and bracket that was stock. I can assure you though, people are watching, check out the "view counter".

Keep up the awesome work!

We'll not exactly work on the car but mustang related indirectly. Now we have a place to work on the car.
    My step son, son and friend helped start building our garage.

We finished it today. My buddy Russ doing some last minute tweaking. Definitely would have been tougher to do this with out Russ. His experience in assembling them in the past came in handy.
    Last edited by Yeeha racing; 11-30-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Well It's a new year... The car is progressing not a whole lot to show though.

Alot of parts gathering at the moment. The engine is at the builders and we are awaiting word from him as to when he gets it cleaned up and if he thinks we should go .030 over. I'm gathering parts for the Trans rebuild. A high performance rebuild kit was ordered from Jegs along with the line lock system. Should be ordering the Valve body, servo and Pan this week. Bidding on a bellhousing on ebay, just waiting for that auction to be over.

My buddy Russ and I stopped by Charles' house yesterday and picked up the new gas tank that was purchased a while back to do some modifications to it. Russ and I will be making a sump for the tank. We grabbed some left over sheetmetal from the floor repairs to build the sump. I purchased two -10 AN weld in bungs to install into the sump. Russ is an awesome welder and mechanical engineer, who is going to be teaching me how to TIG weld while we build the sump. He's also learning as he just purchased a metal break and wants to play with it.

While we were there I snapped a pic of the old girl since I don't have any pics of her with headlights or in the daylight. She's a bit dirty due to the extreme amounts of rain we've gotten lately. But still bad ass looking.

its already pain ?
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

Killagt,
    I'm not sure what your asking here.... Lol If your asking if its already painted the answer is no. It's got a rustoleum rattle can paint job from the previous owner.
    I kind of like it gives the car that mad max look. But I'm planning on restoring the paint on the car as it's fairly rare 1 of 249 from what I've been told. The car was originally Midnight Blue Metallic. That's a ways down the road though.

If anyone has any pictures of what a Fox looks like in Midnight Blue Metallic please post them.
    Last edited by Yeeha racing; 01-04-2014 at 03:15 PM.

Buck tag as decoded by fox chassis:
    MUSTANG = Mustang model line
    226922 = 126,922nd 1985 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    61B = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    M = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    0219 = rotations # 0219
    3LL = Midnight Blue Metallic exterior paint color
    DF
    ST
    AC = manual air conditioner
    02 = rear glass with defrost, no wing
    HB = heated backlite (rear defrost)
    PW = power side windows
    MBW = manual Borg Warner transmission (5-speed T-5)
    01 = no hood scoop
    EL
    A = Charcoal/Grey interior trim color
    02 = rear glass with defrost, no wing
    X
    NLR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast