Close

Threaded View

Default 85 lx 5.0 - Family Project

If you've seen my intro post you've seen the car and know quite a bit about my history with mustangs.

Here's what I picked up about two weeks ago. It's an 85 mustang lx 5.0. It's a family project as my wife, step son, and son are helping me work on it along with some friends and my brother in law (he has the garage and lift) lol.

Her history as I know it from the PO.
    It was purchased by him as a 4 cyl. converted to 5.0 roller drag car. He threw a 5.0 in it and drove it daily and raced it on the weekends for about two years. In the fall of 2012 he pulled the motor and trans and sold them off to fund a 351 swap. Fortunately for me he lost interest in completing the job. He put the car on Craigslist for 1000. It has some rust issues but is fairly solid through out. He stripped the interior from the front seats back to save weight. I got it for half what he was asking. After getting it home I found out that it is a 5.0 car by decoding the vin.

He did tell me about a hood flying up at the track which was evident by the slight dimples in the cowl panel. Fortunately it was the fiber hood that. Blew off so damage was minimal. Although in inspecting the car when I got it home it looks like he may have kissed the wall as well because the bumper is bent.

So... This is we're we are at.
    I started working on it Monday night. With the help of my step son we installed one head light in an hour and a half. Lol holy pain in the ass. I mainly did this to sort screws that were laying in the trunk. To try and figure out what is there and where it goes. We then pulled the passenger seat and pulled the carpet up. Floor feels solid by the rust. I have to pull the sound deadener up yet but I couldn't poke a screw driver through the floor so that's a good sign.

Need to pull the interior for a couple of reasons.
    1. To assess the rust in the floors. So far I've only found some surface rust about the size of my palm around the front drain plugs on each side.
    2. Fix any rust and paint with por15. Inside and out.
    3. Fabricate and install subframe connectors.

Been talking to a guy through email. He has a 302 and trans from his 86 he needs it out of his garage so he gave me a real cheap price. Hopefully going to pick that up this weekend.
    Last edited by Yeeha racing; 05-23-2013 at 10:45 PM.