Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 85 lx 5.0 - Family Project

If you've seen my intro post you've seen the car and know quite a bit about my history with mustangs.

Here's what I picked up about two weeks ago. It's an 85 mustang lx 5.0. It's a family project as my wife, step son, and son are helping me work on it along with some friends and my brother in law (he has the garage and lift) lol.

Her history as I know it from the PO.
    It was purchased by him as a 4 cyl. converted to 5.0 roller drag car. He threw a 5.0 in it and drove it daily and raced it on the weekends for about two years. In the fall of 2012 he pulled the motor and trans and sold them off to fund a 351 swap. Fortunately for me he lost interest in completing the job. He put the car on Craigslist for 1000. It has some rust issues but is fairly solid through out. He stripped the interior from the front seats back to save weight. I got it for half what he was asking. After getting it home I found out that it is a 5.0 car by decoding the vin.

He did tell me about a hood flying up at the track which was evident by the slight dimples in the cowl panel. Fortunately it was the fiber hood that. Blew off so damage was minimal. Although in inspecting the car when I got it home it looks like he may have kissed the wall as well because the bumper is bent.

So... This is we're we are at.
    I started working on it Monday night. With the help of my step son we installed one head light in an hour and a half. Lol holy pain in the ass. I mainly did this to sort screws that were laying in the trunk. To try and figure out what is there and where it goes. We then pulled the passenger seat and pulled the carpet up. Floor feels solid by the rust. I have to pull the sound deadener up yet but I couldn't poke a screw driver through the floor so that's a good sign.

Need to pull the interior for a couple of reasons.
    1. To assess the rust in the floors. So far I've only found some surface rust about the size of my palm around the front drain plugs on each side.
    2. Fix any rust and paint with por15. Inside and out.
    3. Fabricate and install subframe connectors.

Been talking to a guy through email. He has a 302 and trans from his 86 he needs it out of his garage so he gave me a real cheap price. Hopefully going to pick that up this weekend.
    Last edited by Yeeha racing; 05-23-2013 at 10:45 PM.

I have a couple of questions...
    1. Rear seats - what years will fit our car?
    2. Anyone know where I can find a bumper? Not the bumper cover the actual bumper..

Any of the 84.5-86 split rear seats from the Mustangs/Capris will work without any modification. The 87 and later rear seats may work, I'm not sure if any modifications would need to be done. I believe the lower cushion shouldn't be a problem. The upper sections may be smaller due to slight difference in the 87 and later inner panels. Also, at some point (don't know what year it was), they started putting in rear shoulder mounted belts. I believe the rear lower cushions in these cars had two holes at the back center where the seat belt receptor was fed through.

You would be much better off posting a question in the "Body Shop and Interior" forum section about this.

The bumper itself was the same for 80-86 Mustangs/Capris. It was a steel bumper, the Ford part number is EOZZ 17757-B. While you probably won't find the Ford part, there are reproductions made...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-e0zz-17757-b

http://www.npdlink.com/store/product...5920-6289.html
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Tbird thanks for the info that helped out a lot.

86 50CPRI

Best of.luck on this build..ready to see more

Well updates are coming soon. Waiting for my brother in law to finish the major work on his trans am. Today we used his half of the rust dissolver from Eastwood on his car. I helped him apply it. Works awesome. Surface rust runs off the car after a few minutes. Deeper rust takes several hours but it too runs right of the car. We have a few really bad spots soaking right now. Waiting til tonight to clean it up. Then paint his engine bay and finish assembling his 355. Once the engine and trans are in we can pull my car in and start the same process over. I'll post some pics of his car tonight or tomorrow. This stuff is amazing.

Got a little bit of work done. Nothing to show though. I pulled bot seats and the console out. Spent about two hours washing the console in the bath tub. PO apparently had a cup of coffee explode inside the arm rest storage area of the console. Crusty two year old coffee.

Debating on whether to put the console back in or not. Today we are pulling the seat belts and the carpet comes out for the wife to shampoo the coffee off of.
    Then my step son and I will be stripping the sound deadener off of the floor.

Good luck!! Looks like a fun project
    Amy MCA #81079 3rd generation gold card judge, 1993 Ford Probe GT
    1979 Cobra
    1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1993 Yellow /black feature convertible 14k miles
    1993Yellow/black feature convertible AC delete
    1995 Cobra hardtop convertible
    1998 GT convertible

Well it's been pouring all day today. It stopped for about ten minutes after dinner so I ran out and unbolted the seat belts. That's about the extent of the work for this week. Have to work my other job tomorrow and Thursday night. Then the weekend has been spoken for. Monday maybe my next chance to work on it. Tough working two jobs and balancing family plus work on the car.

Hey man keep up the good work.

Well I've come up with a short list of things to do while I look for an engine and trans. If you have any suggestions of things to check or do to add to this list post them.

Todo:
    Remove seats. - done
    Remove center console. - done
    Remove seat belts. - done
    Remove carpet -done
    Remove sound deadener - done
    Apply rust converter - done
    Fabricate and Install SubFrame Connectors - done

Pedal assembly
    Remove clutch pedal -done
    Disassemble -done
    Media Blast -done
    Paint -done
    Reassemble -done
    Reinstall -done

Seats
    Remove covers and wash -Threw seats out
    Paint frames

Shampoo carpet
    Last edited by Yeeha racing; 03-02-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Well, about two months ago my Grandmother passed away. She was a great lady. She by some strange coincidence was my current wife's kindergarten teacher.

Anyway, this past weekend we got a mangled envelope in a bag from the post office with her return address on it addressed to my wife and I.

Inside was a check for $1000. She did this often to surprise her grandchildren and help them get through. She'd rather give out her inheritance piece by piece so we knew we could count on a check from her on occasion.

Well my wife said she saw that I was happy to have a mustang again and sent us a check from heaven. My wife handed me the check and she took the envelope and framed it and hung it up next to the pictures of the family an my old cars. Now I have the money to buy an engine and trans for the car.

^^ very cool story

Nice to see another person fairly close to me...there is an 85 GT sittin in blaceys in new egypt...I say somewhere you needed a bumper...they might have other stuff too
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 5.7
    1993 Civic Coupe JDM B16A1
    1982 Mustang GT 5.0
    1980 Mustang Notchback 5.0
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1
    1978 Honda Accord CVCC 1.6
    1983 Camaro Berlinetta 2.8
    1981 Mustang Notchback ...Engineless...again

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

I think that is so cool that you are working as a family! Good work!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Thanks. My wife is a car nut. She has dreams of owning a muscle car and a Tacoma or f350 with 35's. god I love her.

For my birthday she had the cams upgraded in my Harley. Which I keep at her brothers house. The cams had went the summer before and it wasn't running. At my birthday party my neighbors and brother in law went for a ride before the party. I was really jealous but figured I would get it running soon. Then they all pulled into the driveway my brother in law was riding my bike.

My step son wants to do a 43 merc after the mustang. (He's ten). My son is not really a car nut but loves mustangs and was crushed when we had to sell the 68.

I have awesome family and neighbors. My ex had literally destroyed the house before the divorce. To the point the town declared the house unsafe due to the toxic air quality inside the house. The night of the divorce being final my brother and I went and got Sheetrock to redo the walls and ceilings in the house. When we pulled up to the house my neighbors where standing there with screw guns in hand. 3 of us pulled Sheetrock off the other 4 cut and hung the Sheetrock. We had the entire house down to studs and back in 7 hours.

I'm truly blessed by those around me.

80 notch. Thanks for the heads up. What town do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeeha racing View Post
    Thanks. My wife is a car nut. She has dreams of owning a muscle car and a Tacoma or f350 with 35's. god I love her.

For my birthday she had the cams upgraded in my Harley. Which I keep at her brothers house. The cams had went the summer before and it wasn't running. At my birthday party my neighbors and brother in law went for a ride before the party. I was really jealous but figured I would get it running soon. Then they all pulled into the driveway my brother in law was riding my bike.

My step son wants to do a 43 merc after the mustang. (He's ten). My son is not really a car nut but loves mustangs and was crushed when we had to sell the 68.

I have awesome family and neighbors. My ex had literally destroyed the house before the divorce. To the point the town declared the house unsafe due to the toxic air quality inside the house. The night of the divorce being final my brother and I went and got Sheetrock to redo the walls and ceilings in the house. When we pulled up to the house my neighbors where standing there with screw guns in hand. 3 of us pulled Sheetrock off the other 4 cut and hung the Sheetrock. We had the entire house down to studs and back in 7 hours.

I'm truly blessed by those around me.

80 notch. Thanks for the heads up. What town do you live in?
    im in Ewing....pretty much Trenton

heres the car in the jy like i aid...might have what you need
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 5.7
    1982 Mustang GT 5.0
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1

Sucks that the sunroof is gone... I probably would have taken the whole car as I need interior parts too. Kinda liked to turbines too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeeha racing View Post
    Sucks that the sunroof is gone... I probably would have taken the whole car as I need interior parts too. Kinda liked to turbines too.
    ive been taking stuff off this car for a while now...i grabbed the head wrests hood scoop dash pieces and moulding pieces lol
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 5.7
    1982 Mustang GT 5.0
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1

Picked up a 302 block off craigslist for $50
    Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  75.6 KB
    And a set of GT40P heads for $100
    Name:  Heads.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  23.2 KB
    tearing the block down this weekend then both go off to the machine shop early next week.

i could use that driver side door
    85 ford mustang gt 5.0 h.o.5 spd
    68 chevy nova SS 350 (slightly modded)
    92 ford ranger prerunner

Powerwashed and Stripped the block down yesterday. Hoping to be able to bring it down to the builder on Wednesday night. Waiting to hear back. Have to work both jobs everyday this coming week so no time to do anything else.

4eyed. You can give them a call and see if they will crate it up and ship it to you. Probably not worth it though.

Ok goals have changed. The boys want to race. They have decided we will build it as a street strip car after their uncle started talking trash about how his trans am was going to beat our mustang. So the plan is to build the flat tappet motor for now with the gt40 heads to get the car running and some weekend passes here and there. Once that is done a roller block 302 or a 351 will be built up to replace it. The first motor will be moved into my ranger and the new motor will go into the mustang. With our car being about 700+ lbs lighter I think we may give him a run for his money.

FEP Senior Member

No reason to go flat tappet. Just build it solid and then throw a 150 shot of N2O on it and you'll be doing fine at the strip!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast