Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

already spent close to that on the GT,RS
    money goes fast on cars

Quote Originally Posted by jessew View Post
    Buy a 66 gto. Best looking piece of steel ever built!
    I'm not seeing your photo, but I think I figured out why.

Without the tags, your inserted code looks like this:

[QUOTE=jessew;1546918]Buy a 66 gto. Best looking piece of steel ever built!
    http:// http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...077018469.jpeg

Notice that you have http:// showing up twice. I removed the duplicate http:// tag to have this show up now:

Now THAT is a sexy car.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

[QUOTE=IDMooseMan;1547210]I'm not seeing your photo, but I think I figured out why.

http:// http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...077018469.jpeg

Notice that you have http:// showing up twice. I removed the duplicate http:// tag to have this show up now:

Now THAT is a sexy car.

is 25k enough ???? I doubt it

[QUOTE=capri jimmy;1547215]
    Quote Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post
    I'm not seeing your photo, but I think I figured out why.

is 25k enough ???? I doubt it
    As a Pontiac guy I can answer that. The answer is that it depends.

Back in the 60's you could order your Musclecar so many different ways. That's why guys who say that 60's Musclecars were slow, really don't know the history of the cars. Here's what I mean:

Back in 1966 you could walk into a Pontiac dealership and order these 2 GTO's.

GTO #1....a 66 GTO with a 389/335HP, 4bbl carb, 2 speed powerglide trans, and factory A/C with 3:23 gears.

GTO #2 This 66 GTO had a 389/360HP with tri-power, a 4 speed trans, and a 3:90 rear

One of these cars was capable of high 13 second times right off the showroom floor with just minor tweaking and one was in the 15 second range.

Today $25,000 would probably score you a somewhat decent 66 389 4bbl GTO but if you want a 389 tri power, 4 speed car you better be prepared to pony up about double that $25K.
    Greg

95 Bronco 4WD 5.0, auto, 3:55 rear- daily driver

86 Mustang GT T-tops 5.0, 5 speed, 3:27 gears

68 Firebird 400, ported 6X heads, 068 cam, Muncie 4-speed, 3:55 gears

I would consider buying this if the reserve isn't too high...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-...t_60469wt_1026

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I did put $25K into my fox and I've enjoyed every penny of it during the past 13 years. I wouldn't change a thing and I won't ever get rid of the car, so I guess I won't lose any money.

If I got another $25K to use, I'd build the stroker motor for my Cobra and put the rest on my mortgage, bringing my 8 year loan down to about 5.
    Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 05-19-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

If we are dreaming, and it was handed to me ...

Mine would end up in a Fox (or a variant). That would cover about what I had figured out as a budget to put together a class Coyote Stock car. I'm not sure i would build that on a true fox, or go to SN-95 / New Edge platforms (better tire clearance). LOL, that actually deciding on a chassis has been the hold-up from any progress on it.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

Both SVO's would be 350+hp at the wheels, and I would buy one of these too, with a 440 of course.

KIT

Formerly ISS SVO

"Money is like manure, of very little use except it be spread."

Francis Bacon

1984 SVO 1C #875
    MAYBE 1986 SVO 2R GTA ED. It was a theft recovery car.
    2011 GT premium 401a package KONA BLUE 6 speed manual

Interesting that almost everybody wouldn't spend the cash on restoring their fox. I'm not making any value judgements one way or the other but I just find it interesting. Sometimes, like yesterday, when I'm struggling with my car (dash pad this time) I experience a brief moment of sanity and I think "this is bull****" I should just get a used Miata and spend more time driving! But then the insanity comes back and I'm fine! It got me thinking that probably by the time I get this car to the place I want it to be I'll have spent close to $15,000.00 on it and, of course, it won't be worth that much to sell. I'll never get my money back out of it. What the heck am I doing. It's like people who spend $25,000.00 trying to make their Fox handle like a Porsche when they should have just bought a Porsche!

I would spend a little to get my student loans under control, put back a little to go toward buying some land, and keep the remaining $10k or so to fix the Twister II. $10k won't finish that car, it would take the whole $25k and then some, but if I could get her road safe and the rest of the work is easy. While I like to think that car will be worth the money I'm going to have to sink in it, the truth is it probably wont be and I have no desire to sell it ever unless dire straights happen. Even then it would probably be one of the last things to go. I think I would sell my house before I would hand over it or my '89. My cars are part of my family. Anything goes when it comes to family.
    '03 Explorer Limited
    '85 LX
    '85 Twister II
    '89 LX
    '98 v6
    '77 Mach 1.....and I still own them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mohacsy View Post
    Interesting that almost everybody wouldn't spend the cash on restoring their fox. I'm not making any value judgements one way or the other but I just find it interesting.
    My feeling is this. 99% of the guys on this site are into Fox Mustangs because they truly love the cars regardless of what the costs are. That being said it appears to me that 98% of the guys on this site are just like me. They have a little extra coin here and there for their hobby, but they're not rolling in dough where they can just spend countless dollars on whatever they want.

If you are like me you also have a wife to answer to. HA HA I've found all kinds of creative ways to convince her that I need a certain part or a certain car for that matter and I also have a little cash envelope in my dresser drawer that she knows about but doesn't really know how much is truly in there. If I dig into that cash and buy a part, she doesn't care....if I'm tapping MAC sometimes she would like to know what I'm spending and why. 98% of the time she's on board with my car hobby but every once in a while she has to hit the "STOP" button or I'd have about 20 cars.

I think the thing is this. Every guy here knows that our cars are just a hobby. If the fit hits the shan in our financial life and our family's financial security was in question, we all know that we would sell our cars to protect our families. That goes without saying. Even though we all know cars aren't a great investment we have to know that we won't lose our shirts if that emergency ever hits home.
    Greg

95 Bronco 4WD 5.0, auto, 3:55 rear- daily driver

86 Mustang GT T-tops 5.0, 5 speed, 3:27 gears

68 Firebird 400, ported 6X heads, 068 cam, Muncie 4-speed, 3:55 gears

As lame as it sounds...buy a nice DD and bank the rear...

DD would be a Chevy Cobalt SS
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 5.7
    1993 Civic Coupe JDM B16A1
    1982 Mustang GT 5.0
    1980 Mustang Notchback 5.0
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1
    1978 Honda Accord CVCC 1.6
    1983 Camaro Berlinetta 2.8
    1981 Mustang Notchback ...Engineless...again

This is why I sometimes buy other guys projects that they've given up on finishing. I get their complete inventory of parts as well as the project car usually for a decent price.

I can then sell off stuff here and there at a later date to either help pay bills or fund other projects. I can also keep and use some of the parts on my other projects.

I had a complete 64.5 D code 289 5 bolt block with correct top loader 4 speed that eventually found it's way into a 65 R model Shelby restoration. It had the correct casting date and 5 bolt block so it would be considered "correct". I had originally bought it to go into my 55 Willys Jeep. It sat in the garage on an engine stand for about 10 years. Got a whole lot more credit for it than I originally paid.

I traded it along with a 65 A code fastback project and other parts I had laying around on the 86 7B resto. While I had bought these things years earlier my out of pocket on the 7B was reasonable.

It's kinda fuzzy math but it works for me.

Here is the 65 A code fastback project and then the 65 Shelby that the D code engine eventually went into.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Go on a cruise, take the kids to mickey land, (me too) pay off house, get intake and new heads, sure goes quick.

Pay bills and pay off the house
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

Probably buy a brand new car outright. No monthly payments would plenty of cash around for the mustang and whatever else I want. If I was in a different place as far as age and job it would definitely go towards a house.
    85 Mustang GT
    Engine build in progress
    Build Thread: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=137091

Build a 81Cobra T-top.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-G View Post
    My feeling is this. 99% of the guys on this site are into Fox Mustangs because they truly love the cars regardless of what the costs are. That being said it appears to me that 98% of the guys on this site are just like me. They have a little extra coin here and there for their hobby, but they're not rolling in dough where they can just spend countless dollars on whatever they want.

If you are like me you also have a wife to answer to. HA HA I've found all kinds of creative ways to convince her that I need a certain part or a certain car for that matter and I also have a little cash envelope in my dresser drawer that she knows about but doesn't really know how much is truly in there. If I dig into that cash and buy a part, she doesn't care....if I'm tapping MAC sometimes she would like to know what I'm spending and why. 98% of the time she's on board with my car hobby but every once in a while she has to hit the "STOP" button or I'd have about 20 cars.

I think the thing is this. Every guy here knows that our cars are just a hobby. If the fit hits the shan in our financial life and our family's financial security was in question, we all know that we would sell our cars to protect our families. That goes without saying. Even though we all know cars aren't a great investment we have to know that we won't lose our shirts if that emergency ever hits home.
    And note how many love other pristine US muscle cars. Yeah, true car nut s here!

That's because unless the car is an
    SSP
    T top,
    Convertible,
    GT or Cobra
    or SVO or
    carb Turbo 2.3
    or Saleen
    or M81
    or GT350
    or ASC
    or LX
    or White or Black Lightening
    or the other special Fox bodies (Durango, SSP or perhaps a Propane LTD),

it isn't really worth anything!. If the base car is a collector item for which the premiumums go up, if the car is no longer pristine, it won't meet the returns unless you really good with the spending the right points.

For anything else, a 4.6 mod, 5.0 mod, 5.0 carb or 5.0 EFI or perhaps a 2.3 turbo conversion to a stock 2.3/3.3/3.8/4.2 will just consume money, and then make a nice car which won't be worth any more than a collectable, but will be a nice ride. People love the look of the right Fox body. They are quick and light. The nicest cars aside from the stock specialty model Foxes are a really nicely turned out early Fox t top with big wheels, tires and nice paint, and someone will always pay 50% of the cost of the rebuild to drive around in it. Compared to any other car, a Fox is a modern day classic that will always be the cheapest rebuild around.

I would spend 25 k on my Fox if it was a prototype of something that made me money by helping other people get 5.0 GT style performance and looks. If it is an original T, B or X code, it'll give the maxium benfits for the least cost if you just slap on a special head or triple carbs. Like this little 4-bbl Classic Inlines 3.3 1980 Fox notch by one member here. A huge draw card at a Fox body car show, and practically all orginal bar some simple American/Aussie sired hop ups.

The world over, from Argentina to Britian to Japan to Zealand, foreign left hand drive right hooker export Foxes and most really good early T top notch show cars were more often than not 3.3;s, and they are loved and reworked on a regular basis

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thre...-mustang-3-fox

Untill you've zoomed around in a light hi po Fox, you haven't experienced the true fun of a mundane Fairmont based car which suddenly behaves like the incredible hulk when you stand on the gas.

That's why specialty Mustangs like the Saleens or LTD LX 5.0 CFI's and 4-bbls are so loved, they are still standout muscle cars for not much money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12