Close

Default Best shift rpms for '86 GT?

Just what the title says. I have light bolt ons, (under drive pulleys, no smog no AC, x-pipe,cat back and 3.73s) is 5,800 pushing it? Thanks
    1986 GT T-Top.
    In the middle of its resto...

When I used to race, I would shift around 5500-5600 RPM's. Worked well for me.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Awesome, thanks. I have lots of seat time with 4.6s, but this is my first 5.0 I will be racing
    1986 GT T-Top.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt86GT View Post
    Awesome, thanks. I have lots of seat time with 4.6s, but this is my first 5.0 I will be racing
    Good luck & drive safely, brother!!
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Bounce the tach off the dash a couple times and then dump it!

... ok seriously escogt is right on target. The factory motor doesn't make much power above 5,500 and with factory valve springs you don't want to push it or you'll float the valves.
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

5500 even sounds a bit high for an '86. The '86 GT had unique "high swirl" heads which limited its top end performance. Back when I used to do a lot of open track driving, I spun mine out to the rev limiter (6250 RPMs) a few times. It survived, but it sure didn't make power up there.
    "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car." - Will Shriner

'86 GT Mustang "Tigger"
    '95 GT convertible (wife's car)
    '86 SVO accursed car (sold)

Ok thanks, I can feel the power go sorta flat past 4,500 rpms. I gotta get it to my buddy's dyno and make a few runs. Just to see real numbers.
    1986 GT T-Top.

4,500 is peak torque on the factory motor. Falls off after that.
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

The stock 86 GT I drove for a while ran best when shifted in the 4800-5000 range.

52-5300rpm will net the best ET's with the stock HO camshaft and 86 top end.