Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is an excellent thread. Thank you bull-vette, Vintage Racer, and others for taking time to write these accounts and share your thoughts.

I too follow the collector car hobby on TV, and have been to B-J, Russo & Steele, and Mecum as a spectator only. I go to them to see cool cars and for the adventure (or, as noted, B-J is an EVENT). I know some things about what is happening in the background, but I learned several things from your accounts. For example I did not realize how many 'spots' were now taken by the professional buyers and sellers. I had developed a sense that a percentage of the cars are just repeats, i.e. professionals 'flipping' the cars as it were. Your comments confirm that.

I have a friend who recently put two cars thru Mecum here in Houston. He is an experienced collector car hobbyist (he runs a classic car repair/restoration business) and similar to bull-vette decided to try Mecum for the experience. He sold a 70 Challenger and a 94 Impala SS. When the dust settled he was so-so on the process; he thought one car was 'close' to fair market value, and his comment on the other was 'I could have done much better on ebay or craigslist.' A specific learning was not to bother with Thursday unless you just want to unload a low-dollar car.

I think this thread has crystallized another thought I have had. TV has changed the collector car hobby, just like it has changed other 'sports.' I'm thinking about how professional sports is BIG, and I mean BIG, business. Fifty years ago they were businesses, but nothing to the degree today. And that is all due to MONEY, which came from TV.

That said, I think everyone who loves cars (that describes all of us here) needs to go to one of these big auctions as a spectator. Treat yourself to a weekend in Scottsdale in January, you will thoroughly enjoy it.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

When you get right down to it, most of the car shows are slickly packaged infomercials
    that may seem to be television shows, but are actually clever infomercials designed to
    entice you to spend money on products and services. Then come the real commercial
    spots for the network. It's just one big marketing machine.

Wheeler Dealers (a UK production) is one of the few exceptions, and perhaps ironically
    it is delightfully old school in nature. I really like that show.

Frankly, I can't stand what B-J and Mecum have done to the classic car hobby.

I'm 45 years old, it was back in the mid-80's when I was reaching driving age. I wanted an older car to tinker with. For me an older car in the mid 80's was a 60's Musclecar. I turned 16 in 1984 and simply couldn't afford to walk into any dealer and walk out with a new car. I could however afford about $2500 for a 20 year old car. That's exactly what I did. I bought my uncles 69 Chevelle and spent many nights and weekends laying on my back in the driveway converting it from a 350, powerglide car to a 396 with a 4 speed. Any true car guy knows what that experience is like. We all know that no matter how hard you try, your arm just won't bend certain ways to reach that one last pain in the ass bolt. I've had grease, oil, and gasoline spill into my eyes, my hair, my mouth, and run down my arm into my armpit. Back when I had a mullet...yes I really did...I've cut sections of my hair out because there was so much grease or oil caked into my hair from laying in the stuff. Remember taking long hot showers and scrubbing till you were raw and still not getting grease or oil completely off your body? Been there, done that.

My point is that to me personally the car hobby should be for car guys. Not for wealthy people who are bored and decide to buy an old Musclecar just for something to do. It makes my stomach churn to hear that a guy just bought a Hemi Cuda and yet deep down inside he probably doesn't even know where the term Hemi came from. (For those who don't know it's because the combustion chambers in a Hemi motor are hemispherical shaped instead of the common wedge shaped combustion chambers commonly found on most cars).

Add to that, the TV coverage, the pressure, and the big dick contest going on and the price of these cars has gone nuts. I mean really....do you think that the guy who just bought a restored Ram Air GTO Judge for $200K has ever changed a set of spark plugs? Do you think he can do something as simple as setting the timing? Sorry but I'm not buying it.

Here's what I see....these cars that were built by blue collar people, for blue collar people which were meant to be driven and enjoyed are now sitting in some wealthy guys garage adding to his portfolio.
    Greg

95 Bronco 4WD 5.0, auto, 3:55 rear- daily driver

86 Mustang GT T-tops 5.0, 5 speed, 3:27 gears

68 Firebird 400, ported 6X heads, 068 cam, Muncie 4-speed, 3:55 gears

Quote Originally Posted by 85GT-79FJ40 View Post
    I have always HATED selling cars. Buying them I like but I hate selling them.
    My response below is a general statement of opinion and NOT AT ALL directed at the poster above.

Your statement of liking to buy and hating to sell reflects the same view of most everyone I know. It's easy to BUY. All it takes is money! That's why it's fun as what you are buying is an item you want or desire.

SELLING is a whole different matter. You have to deal with the public and if you want to know what the public looks like go look in the mirror as the public is you! How much patience would you have dealing with and or selling an item to yourself? Be honest with yourself as you know how much of a PITA you really are!

Everybody wants to sell their car for TOP money with LITTLE OR NO effort on their part. Me included!!! If this is the seller's GOAL they are NOT living in the real world. The guys who sell their cars for BIG BUCKS have SPENT a lot TIME and in many instances MONEY to accomplish their goal of selling for TOP MONEY. It really makes no difference what method of sale (Craigslist, Ebay, Auction, Consignment, Street Corner) you still have to invest time and money to make that sale. There is NO easy way to sell ANYTHING for TOP money with LITTLE OR NO effort. If EASY truly is your goal then an auction is probably the best selling method you will find. You have ready, willing and able buyer's in one location who have gathered to buy/sell the same or similar item that you have. All you have to do bring the item to the auction, pay the entry fee (if any) and stand with your item and talk it up all you can to potential buyers. Yes this is KEY to selling for top money at an auction. Buyer's really DO want to know what you can tell them about your item. IF it sells for the inflated amount of Dollars you want you are in business. You pay the commission, get paid and go drink Beer. Now remember that you are willing to put forth LITTLE TO NO effort.

Selling is competitive business and involves hard work, money for expenses and strategy on the seller's part. How to sell, where to advertise, properly pricing your item etc. These are all KEY to a successful sale. All you have to do is look at the MILLIONS OF DOLLARS spent every year by business's and people trying to SELL you products most of which you may want but sure as Hell do not need!

From "MY" perspective anyone selling anything should be fully engaged in the selling process and anxious to deal with people (the BUYING public) so they can potentially get TOP MONEY for their item. Yes it is work. Yes you will deal with some flakes & know it all's. That's part of selling in today's society. As a matter of fact some people use those methods as a buying strategy to get a better price. How about those buyer's that want to tell you EVERYTHING that is wrong with your car? A common Buying strategy.

Want to get Lowballed on anything you are selling? Show little to no interest in talking to a potential buyer, show no interest in telling them about that item, make the buyer play 20 questions with you to get anwers to their questions and then make the buyer "feel" like they are a inconvenience. Guaranteed Lowball offer if you get one at all!

Ask yourself this question? To who is that extra $100-$500 more important? You the seller or the buyer? If it's more important to you the seller I suggest you make a sales pitch (whatever that is) to the buyer to make them PAY MO MONEY!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 05-11-2013 at 03:23 PM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by Super-G View Post
    Frankly, I can't stand what B-J and Mecum have done to the classic car hobby.

I'm 45 years old, it was back in the mid-80's when I was reaching driving age. .
    Greg, I am only a year older than you, and over time, I have noticed we share a lot of the same views on things. I'm not sure if it is the fact that we are close in age or what....

Thanks for everyone's contribution to this thread. I have learned more because of it.
    1982 Dominator GT
    *1st Dominator ever sold and
    autographed by Jackie Stewart *
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

Hi bull. Yep this is typical horse shirt for sure. Americans have lost their fing minds. We are stupid to enter into this madness. I guess thats why i have grown to hate so many things. I know strong words, but its deserved. We are fing ourselves right into to oblivian. How much is it to just go and take a big dump ? I might could afford that. Thanks for your ear.

Predator is getting closer, cant wait to beat the living crap out of it. What it really deserves and needs.
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by PIGBOY View Post
    Hi bull. Yep this is typical horse shirt for sure. Americans have lost their fing minds. We are stupid to enter into this madness. I guess thats why i have grown to hate so many things. I know strong words, but its deserved. We are fing ourselves right into to oblivian. How much is it to just go and take a big dump ? I might could afford that. Thanks for your ear.

Predator is getting closer, cant wait to beat the living crap out of it. What it really deserves and needs.
    Hey Pig! If you pay the $20 to get in, you can take a dump for free. Toilet paper is extra.
    1982 Dominator GT
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

Thanks for all the contributors to this thread. Great reading & lots of insight provided.

As an enthusiast I enjoy all the aspects of anything automtive but I definitely am with Super-G and his perspective.
    -Mike Malone
    69 Mach1, 81 LX, 83 GT Turbo, 85.5 SVO 9L, 86 SVO 2A, 86 GT, 90 LX 5.0 - and a badass 84 LTD Wagon

You also talked about how expensive it is to put on a Mecum auction. Interesting enough, I discovered the City PAID Mecum to come and put on the auction. Some sort of tourism incentive. I am not sure I agree with my tax dollars being spent on that or not. The surrounding hotels and restraunts probably loved it, but beyond that I am not sure it was the boost the City paid for.
    Deals like that can range, but typically the city would pay the local fees involved to bring the auction. For instance, if they held the auction at a fair ground, the fair ground people would be asking for $X to host the auction, that is the money that the city would have paid. And remember for every person staying at a hotel or eating a meal at a restaurant they are paying taxes, hence why the city will pay to bring in a big attendance events.

Obviously there are a million and one things that can change, but not all of the money Mecum was collecting would be money they can put in their pockets either. Things like food and beverage (including alcohol) would have likely been provided by the site hosting the auction and not Meccum (it's doubtful Meccum has an alcohol license in every state they do business), and I doubt Meccum saw any of that money. Parking and 'spectator' fees can go either way, but it may very well have been collected by the site and not Meccum, or maybe they would work out a split on that end.

Auctions are big business for sure, but there is a ton of overhead involved (look at how many people are working for them) and some level of risk, especially if they are paying the same day they are paid, as I bet a good chunk of money is still floated for a few days.

My point is that to me personally the car hobby should be for car guys. Not for wealthy people who are bored and decide to buy an old Musclecar just for something to do. It makes my stomach churn to hear that a guy just bought a Hemi Cuda and yet deep down inside he probably doesn't even know where the term Hemi came from. (For those who don't know it's because the combustion chambers in a Hemi motor are hemispherical shaped instead of the common wedge shaped combustion chambers commonly found on most cars).

Add to that, the TV coverage, the pressure, and the big dick contest going on and the price of these cars has gone nuts. I mean really....do you think that the guy who just bought a restored Ram Air GTO Judge for $200K has ever changed a set of spark plugs? Do you think he can do something as simple as setting the timing? Sorry but I'm not buying it.

Here's what I see....these cars that were built by blue collar people, for blue collar people which were meant to be driven and enjoyed are now sitting in some wealthy guys garage adding to his portfolio.
    Not sure what economic class has to do with anything, but there have always been haves and have nots in this hobby, even back in the 80's while you were wrenching on beater 20yr old Muscle car there was some guy with a lot of money buying a car from the 30's or 40's or some foreign car, etc. Big deal. Today people are buying beater 20'ishyr old cars (late 70's into the very early 90's) while the guys with deeper pockets are buying even older cars because they are now out of reach for a lot of people, same crap-different day (or era in this case). It hasn't changed that much.

And making assumptions based on how much money somebody has is quite dangerous, there are plenty of well off car guys out there that actually enjoy working on cars, I'll even go way out on a limb and say more than a few of them know more about cars that you do (or I do or most any other enthusiast).

If you won the lottery, had a long lost uncle leave you a billion dollars in his will, whatever-reason-for-a-windfall would you suddenly become one of these mindless rich guys you talk about?

Quote Originally Posted by DrewM View Post
    If you won the lottery, had a long lost uncle leave you a billion dollars in his will, whatever-reason-for-a-windfall would you suddenly become one of these mindless rich guys you talk about?

Chuckle!!!

Drew,

You are so right.

Rich guys aren't mindless that's why they are rich and the blue collar guy "works" for them!

The rich work 80-100 hours a week while the average Joe complains about working 40 a week. That's why the rich guy is RICH!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 05-15-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Mike

www.musclecardeals.com

I also didn't comment on this;

The vast majority of people 'collecting' cars don't make money on them, they buy them because they enjoy the cars, granted many don't work on them like many of us work on them, but that is true of many car enthusiasts (there are a number of FEP members that have never changed a spark plug...and they certainly aren't 'wealthy' by any stretch). Collectors make money when they get lucky with bubble markets, but the majority of time that isn't the case. The people making money on cars are the guys buying and flipping them, and a whole lot of those guys don't make much if any money either (no different than any other buy/sell-flipping business).

Most of the people I see buying your average muscle car is middle-class/upper middle class person buying that realistic 'dream car' (ie something that isn't priced in the 7 or 8 figure range), the person whose kids are out of the house, maybe they downsized or are downsizing (no need for that big 5 bedroom house as an empty nester) and they have some cash laying around so they go out and splurge on something they've always wanted as a treat for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewM View Post
    Deals like that can range, but typically the city would pay the local fees involved to bring the auction. For instance, if they held the auction at a fair ground, the fair ground people would be asking for $X to host the auction, that is the money that the city would have paid. And remember for every person staying at a hotel or eating a meal at a restaurant they are paying taxes, hence why the city will pay to bring in a big attendance events.

Obviously there are a million and one things that can change, but not all of the money Mecum was collecting would be money they can put in their pockets either. Things like food and beverage (including alcohol) would have likely been provided by the site hosting the auction and not Meccum (it's doubtful Meccum has an alcohol license in every state they do business), and I doubt Meccum saw any of that money. Parking and 'spectator' fees can go either way, but it may very well have been collected by the site and not Meccum, or maybe they would work out a split on that end.

Auctions are big business for sure, but there is a ton of overhead involved (look at how many people are working for them) and some level of risk, especially if they are paying the same day they are paid, as I bet a good chunk of money is still floated for a few days.

Not sure what economic class has to do with anything, but there have always been haves and have nots in this hobby, even back in the 80's while you were wrenching on beater 20yr old Muscle car there was some guy with a lot of money buying a car from the 30's or 40's or some foreign car, etc. Big deal. Today people are buying beater 20'ishyr old cars (late 70's into the very early 90's) while the guys with deeper pockets are buying even older cars because they are now out of reach for a lot of people, same crap-different day (or era in this case). It hasn't changed that much.

And making assumptions based on how much money somebody has is quite dangerous, there are plenty of well off car guys out there that actually enjoy working on cars, I'll even go way out on a limb and say more than a few of them know more about cars that you do (or I do or most any other enthusiast).

I realize there are different deals, and they range. I was just surprised at what I discovered. The event was held at a City owned venue, PLUS they paid them a large chunk of tax payers money. I know cities try to entice events to come to their city, hoping for revenues in hotels and restaurants. I am sure the businesses surrounding the hall felt the impact, I was just questioning if more than a handful of surrounding businesses felt it.

Not sure who/what you are referring to when you say "mindless rich guys", I didn't see anyone say that....but, if I were to recieve a "windfall", you can bet I would have some cool rides!
    1982 Dominator GT
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

Quote Originally Posted by bull-vette View Post
    I realize there are different deals, and they range. I was just surprised at what I discovered. The event was held at a City owned venue, PLUS they paid them a large chunk of tax payers money. I know cities try to entice events to come to their city, hoping for revenues in hotels and restaurants. I am sure the businesses surrounding the hall felt the impact, I was just questioning if more than a handful of surrounding businesses felt it.
    I doubt anything more than 'surrounding' businesses felt the impact, but I would bet they made a pretty good chunk of change over that time period, I imagine a pretty big percentage of people who came to buy/sell were traveling at some level. I'm sure somewhere there is a breakdown of costs vs return from the city/country/whoever, but finding it would be a treat.

I don't know how your local gov does it, but often those types of funds are funded from other 'tourist' draw tax money, ie if the city collects an extra tax on say hotel rooms, then a small percentage of that tax goes into a fund that may go to pay for events to draw in tourists. So while it's still tax dollars, it may not be very direct. How well those funds are managed can obviously range from pretty good to absolutely horrid.

Not sure who/what you are referring to when you say "mindless rich guys", I didn't see anyone say that....but, if I were to recieve a "windfall", you can bet I would have some cool rides!
    Just the general 'rich guys' type negativity, as if the size of ones bank account automatically makes them a car guy or not, hence I was trying to find out if I found a few million dollars on the side of the road would I forget how to change spark plugs or not.

Guys like Jay Leno or Ralph Lauren are quite wealthy yet are car guys right down to the core and I would bet both of them know far more about cars than even the average auto enthusiast.

Default Mecum Complaint Resolution

Quote Originally Posted by bull-vette View Post
    I bought a Trans am last October, because I always wanted one to replace the one I had "back in the day". I figured I would replace one of my other cars with it. After working all winter on it, and replacing the entire interior, I drove it a few times and found that I didn't enjoy driving it. It didn't make me happy. I enjoyed my other cars much more. I could have kept everything, but storage/garage space was a problem. The fact that I haven’t driven any of them in six months was also a factor. It just seemed silly to have another car that just sat for the majority of the year. Since I enjoyed the Trans am the least, I figured I would sell it. Normally I would do the Craigslist, or eBay thing, which is what I think you should do. That is what I would do in the future as well. This particular time, I made the decision to sell, and Mecum auction was coming the following week. So I figured what the heck...

This is what I learned during my experience selling my car at the Mecum auction. First, they make a ton of money. They have all bases covered. They make money from the seller, when he LISTS the car, and if he SELLS it. They make money off the buyer, when they REGISTER to buy, and each time they BUY a car. They make money off spectators just coming to LOOK at the cars. Let me explain.

First, as a seller, you pay to LIST your car. $250.00 -$750.00 depending on what day and time you pick. The better the day and time, the more expensive it gets. Thursday is a little cheaper, but there are not as many bidders there. As you can see, prime time on Saturday is more expensive.

Thursday 4/25/13

Star Entry * - $500
    3pm - 7pm
    ($20000 suggested minimum value)

Feature Entry - $250
    12am - 3pm and after 7pm
    (No minimum value)

·Friday 4/26/13

Feature Entry - $500
    12am - 3pm and after 8pm
    ($25000 suggested minimum value)

Star Entry * - $750
    3pm - 8pm
    ($35000 suggested minimum value)

·Saturday 4/27/13

Feature Entry - $750
    12am - 2pm and after 7pm
    ($35000 suggested minimum value)

Star Entry * - $750
    2pm - 7pm
    ($50000 suggested minimum value)

Remember...these fees are just to LIST the car. If your car does not sell, they still make this money. The money you pay on top of that, the commission, is based on if you have a reserve or not. That fee structure is as follows:

Sellers Commission

Vehicle Selling Price

Option - (Reserve)Commission*
    Up to $7,500
    $500

$7,500 and Up
    7 percent

Absolute - (No Reserve)Commission
    Up to $7,500
    $500

$7,500 and Up
    5 percent

commission only applies if the seller accepts last bid.

As you can see, this can really add up. Now as a BUYER, you are subject to a $100.00 registration fee. That’s right. You pay $100.00 just to REGISTER to bid. If you don’t buy anything, you are out $100.00. Then, as a BUYER, you are also subject to the following fees if you BUY a car. That’s right; you pay Mecum a commission also if you BUY a car.

Buyer's Premiums

Final Price
    Buyer's Premiums
    Up to $5,499
    $300
    $5,500 to $9,999
    $500
    $10,000 and up
    6 percent of final price
    Boats and Motorcycles
    10 percent of final price
    Road Art
    18 percent of final price
    15 percent if paid in cash, certified funds, or check

If you just want to go in and look, it will only be $20.00 per day. Of course there is a fee for parking, and that varies on parking lots.

They also sell food and drinks there. They are priced about what you would expect to pay at an NFL stadium. Now this money I am not sure if it goes to Mecum or if it goes to the owner/operator of the venue. They also have kiosks around selling alcohol. This is a particularly good idea in my opinion. People can get caught up in the whole bidding process and not wanting to get beat by the “other” guy. Combine that with a little alcohol, and you might get someone to overbid. At the very least, you made money on the overpriced alcohol. I think loosening up peoples wallets with a little alcohol is really a brilliant strategy.

Speaking of strategy… in the future, I would sell my vehicle the way I have in the past, using Craigslist, eBay, auto trader, and other similar ways. I am not saying I would never use Mecum; I would just use them as a last resort. I think you just give up too much money.

As far as Mecum auction strategy, based on what I have learned, I would pay the $750.00 and get a good spot on Saturday. The reason for this is simple. When I was there on Thursday, there just were not many bidders. No bidders equal low bids. Friday is better than Thursday, but I believe Saturday is the best. You could go cheap and get a $500.00 slot, but when you are talking about $15K-$20K cars, why cheap out right here in the end, trying to save $250.00? Pay the extra money; get a good day, and a good time slot. Too early, and people either haven’t gotten there, or have not warmed up to the whole process. Maybe they are just getting their feet wet, or seeing how it goes. Maybe they just haven’t drunk enough alcohol yet. Too late in the day, and people are getting tired and going home. Maybe they have already spent their money.

Okay, once you have made the decision to sell your car, you have picked the day, filled out the forms, paid your entry fee, and dropped your car off. They want your car there no later than Wednesday, since it starts on Thursday. You will have time to do that last minute cleaning, and detailing of your car.

Did I mention that as a SELLER, you automatically get registered to BID? That’s a $100.00 value. That way if you sell your car, pay the 5%-7% SELLERS commission, and then you can turn around and buy another car and pay the 6% BUYERS premium. Like I said, they have thought of everything, and have ever angle covered.

The big day has arrived. As a seller, you have to be there when your car crosses the auction block. They drive your car around and into position. They push it across the auction block to cut down on the gas fumes. Once it crosses the block, they start it and drive it away. When it is your turn on the block, they push your car up there, and a guy immediately comes over to you, identifies himself, shakes your hand, and immediately starts to lowball you. He says things like what’s it going to take to sell your car today? I know your reserve is $XXX, but what would it REALLY take? Would you sell it for this? Don’t you want to sell it? Now while he is doing that, the auctioneer has already started the bidding. You are trying to listen to the auctioneer, and talk to the guy talking to you. You are on stage with hundreds of people looking at you. There are bright lights shining down on you. There are neon lights every where. You feel like you are on stage at some Las Vegas casino. It is very intimidating. Everything is happening very quickly. They schedule a different car every five minutes. That is for the complete process. Rolling your car up, auctioning it off, dropping the hammer, and rolling it off. They want to stay on schedule, so there is no messing around. Any way, with all the bright lights, and the guy talking to you, then another guy came over, and started talking to me, so they were kind of tag teaming me. I couldn’t hear the auctioneer, and all the while they are trying to get you to lift your reserve. You are not even really sure were the bidding is. Once you lift your reserve it’s over. Honestly, once I lifted my reserve, they smacked the hammer about ten seconds later, and it was over. Their whole goal is to sell your car. Once your car sells, they make the 5%-7% from the seller and the 6% from the buyer. There is no real reason to continue to squeeze out another thousand or two. Their time is just too valuable to try and get another thousand dollars for your car, so they can make another $50.00. All they care about is lifting or meeting the reserve so that they know it will sell, and they can make their money. The entire time you are up there it is super high pressure to lift your reserve and sell.

What I learned from this, is to set your reserve much higher (at least $5000.00) higher than what you really want. That way, you make them work hard to get it up there. Stand your ground, and don’t lift your reserve. Make them work at it. They want to sell your car. I watched a lot, and they would really try to sell a car if it hadn’t met the reserve, and the owner was holding pat. They would put out a lot of effort. You can always lift the reserve once it gets close to the reserve. The main thing is to get them to work to get the highest price you can get. I’m sure a lot of those people have sold many cars through there and know all the tricks. Being new to the auction game, I felt I left some money on the table. Lesson learned. This is why I am writing this. Maybe someone else will learn something and not leave money on the table for someone else.

Don’t get me wrong. This is not a bash Mecum thread. This is simply my experience, and much of it was an eye opener. I am not recommending it or campaigning against it. I am not unhappy with my experience. I do think I left money on the table. I do think I could have made more money on it. No, I am not upset. It was a learning experience. Just trying to share my experience, in hopes it might help someone else.

In conclusion, once your car sells, they would like the buyer to pay for the car within an hour. The reason for this is they will not release the funds to the seller, until the buyer has paid. That way, Mecum is protected, and they haven’t stuck their neck out. They are not on the hook for anything. This is pretty smart on their part. After about an hour, you go to the counter, they have you sign the title, and assuming the buyer has paid, they give you a check, minus the seller commission of course. You are done, and the car is gone.

If you have any questions about the whole process, please ask. If you have an experience with an auction, please share it. If you are still reading this…thank you for you perseverance.
    All I can add is if you are not happy don't deal with Mecum again there are millions of other customers who don't mind paying to sale their merchandise besides you must consider what it cost Mecum to pay all their help, auctioneers and staff as well as the cost of the venues they rent to sale their stuff.

Hey Bull-Vette, great insight and I know this thread is 5 years old but it is still a top pick on google when you ask the question can you make money on mecum auto auction purchases.

I inquired about this because I am a buyer and I am 49 years old and have been fairly successful in business and I really do not want to get under the hood, change plugs or be drowned in oil. I just want a cool car to play around with on the weekends. Not sure that is a bad thing at all because Lord knows I give enough business to the local mechanics to keep their families well fed.

As a buyer dealing with craigslist or autotrader it is not an easy task due to the limited amount of cars in the area and what I see cars go for on mecum is not cheap but it seems much less than what I see in the open market.

My question would be can you sell any car there or do they have a requirement of any sort of the quality of the vehicle they sell. Most auctions are you get what you get and you don't pitch a fit. Someone said they sell higher end cars but not sure how they really know what is under the hood.

I want to go and register and if a cool car comes along then buy it but I have been burned in my old days by auctions and not sure I want to risk that experience again.

I appreciate the insight.

I hate those auction shows, I record them and watch at fast forward and stop on the cars I like..... But My wife keeps bugging me to sell my Falcon (the one on my avatar picture) and after reading all the crap you have to go do just to sell something....no thanks and just because I wouldnt get what I feel its worth (I would if I shipped it to Australia) I might get some coin for it
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

A quick update on the fees. Mecum now has a minimum $1000 buyer's premium, so you pay $1000 as a buyer even if you are the high bidder on a $4000 car.
    Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    no thanks and just because I wouldnt get what I feel its worth (I would if I shipped it to Australia) I might get some coin for it
    Could you possibly have an inflated opinion of the real value of your car????
    Mike

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    Could you possibly have an inflated opinion of the real value of your car????
    Have you seen the prices of late 60's falcons in Australia???? when you do then make an opinion
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Have you seen the prices of late 60's falcons in Australia???? when you do then make an opinion
    Your not in Australia!
    Mike

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    Your not in Australia!
    All it takes is a boat ride in a metal box CHA-CHING!
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Under inflated opinion. The reason for the price hike is that R/T Valiant Chargers, Holden Torana's, Falcons and Monaro's are all cult classics, which had fortified US style performance engines in cars that were basically European Esthetic.

This price jump was all predicted by Bill Tuckey/RomeyQunits in 1979, and it happens whenever there is a sharemarket crash, fuel rise, or mini recession. Back then in 1969, Ford Australia wanted to build two door Falcons, but the market didn't want them, and history has proven that two doors are hard to shift if there is a four door option.

The US two door is a heck of a lot sexier than the old Four door Slouch.

"We have recently sold two Track Red Phase IIIs for seven-figure amounts and this Phase III has been described by many Phase III experts as the best in Australia."

The auction follows the $2.1 million fetched by Peter Brock's dual Bathurst-winning Commodore earlier this month, which highlighted the strength of the local "chrome bumper" auction scene. In June, a Phase III once owned by Test cricketer Jeff Thomson fetched $1 million.
    https://www.warwickdailynews.com.au/...lion-/3552142/

The fact that they were raced and defiled at 120 mph plus down a 500 to 620 mile race at Mountian pass in Australia just adds to the mystery.

My workmate said it best in 2011. What the heck is a labourer doing driving a Ford Mustang?

I replied

When a stock in line later non round body 66-67 XR, 68-XT, 69-70 XW Falcon is worth 30 thousand and my 1981 Stang cost me 6 grand, then that's your answer right there.

I devaned a Boss 302, worth US 70 grand. Landed here and priced for a quick sale after a six week journey in a 20 foot container with a 71 454 Corvette, rom Compton, CA, the Boss was insured for $125 000.

A legit, numbers match Falcon, you can name your price.

Two doors are uber cool, and to the right person, they are gold.

The old stories about South African Fairmont GT's returning to Australia, or basket case Valiant Charger 770 318's being rebuilt for private six figure sale, its all true. The thing that does it is that people love the all conquering race history of 1966- 1973 Chrylser Valiants/ Chargers, Holdens and Fords.

Stock factory cars that broke into 15 seconds for the quarter mile, top wacks of 125 mph or more, and could run for over 6 hours prodction stock right from the showroom. The London to Sydney teams prize for the XT GT 302 Falcon sedan screwed over the English Ford Escorts, and Austrailans had the most competitve racing Tin Top racing cataogies in the world. Roger Penske threw a boat load of cash into the street race formula because dollar for dollar, it creates fanatical following that also is backed up by merchenise, memrobillia, and by average Joe's who build Tribute cars that knok everyone out.

Sorry to call you an Average Joe, Joe!

The cars were cobbled together from Mopar, GM and Fords world wide parts bins, and were so tough they had Le Mans drivers three wheeling them down the Big Dipper at 100 mph plus, and Conrod Straight at up to 160 mph.

Two Door Falcons are even more rare, the whole idea of a showroom stock four door performance car was a Bill Bourke invention that made dang sure the Falcon line had up to 186 mph halo cars right up to 2016. 50 years of blazing Bent Eight fire fuels those 400000 dollar plus pricetags. The Al Turner era despratly wanted to go the Two Door Falcon route, but Fords local Managing Director decided the finacial's for two door cars didn't work, and the Falcon GT become a four door supercar. All GTHO Phase Ones, Two's and Threes were geniune 140 mph plus cars from the factory, with the ill fated Phase IV a geniune 153 mph car that could do more than 165 mph down a grade like Conrod straight.

A classic GT Falcon is what real Ford lovers down here hunker after...and they are prepared to pay to get it if its a nice ride.

About that time, there were other hotshoe cars that might match the Falcons, Basil Van Rooyens's Fiernza GT was a real killer, but people don't remember the Firenza based Chevy Firenza with its DZ spec Z/28 302 V8, or the Sierra XR8 from South Africa. They are just as good, but don't make the kind of money a Falcon does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=725Zxgt64RQ

i sold 10 cars at 3 different mecum auctions this year with mixed results. the Louisville show in Sept. was lame and the sales numbers were soft and they have canceled that show due to poor performance after only 3 years. first year there i cleaned up. mecum is a lot of work to prep the cars, i trailer them to the event, get a hotel, and attend the show. i have done them no reserve to save on fees and i really don't want to have to bring them home if no sale. the costs have gone up drastically in just 5 years or so. they have minimum fees which is total BS and you can pay up to 20% or more to sell a modest car and you see them negotiate all the time on expensive cars to 5% or lower to make a sale. bidder passes are 200 used to be 100. cost to get in is 30 used to be 20. buying and selling used to be 8% and 6%, now both are 10%. its not a fair atmosphere but it is what it is.

its a a great fun experience but if you swing and miss it can be heartbreaking and a lot of it can be out of your control. i had my best car going saturday night and the hurricane came through an hour prior and the place emptied out to mainly dealers left looking for a steal. car sold at no reserve for peanuts to a dealer i know and went on ebay a few weeks later in exact same condition for over 33% mark up and it did not meet his reserve.

mecum is not the market but a good glimpse at it. i had a car bid to 16K and kept it, then sold on ebay a week later for 25K, so mecum that day was soft.

I hate those auction shows, I record them and watch at fast forward and stop on the cars I like..... But My wife keeps bugging me to sell my Falcon (the one on my avatar picture) and after reading all the crap you have to go do just to sell something....no thanks and just because I wouldnt get what I feel its worth (I would if I shipped it to Australia) I might get some coin for it
    Your Falcon is one of my top 3 favorite builds of all time! You need to hold on to that thing! If it's worth more to you than the market, that says it all right there.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Your Falcon is one of my top 3 favorite builds of all time! You need to hold on to that thing! If it's worth more to you than the market, that says it all right there.
    Thanks brother, still adding things to it.... (as well as building and saving the 86 Capri) so a dollar here and 2 dollars there lolAttachment 125240
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast