Close

Default 1986 Mustang SVO - Kentucky

http://www.mautofied.com/1986-Ford-m...ing/100569200/
    As of late, I have been poking around for an SVO. After searching, I came up with a charcoal 1986 SVO. One of the first things that I liked about the deal after chatting with him, is that he owns an 85 LX race car, 85 GT T-Top, and 2 other 85/6 mustangs (forgot specifics). Plus, he is a member on here, just not active. He says he hasn't logged in in a long time.
    He claims the paint is pretty nice "8/10". I would agree with that judging by the pics so far.
    The interior, however, shows its age. It is the factory leather, leather is cracking and the headliner sags.
    Supposedly, no rust except for a small amount starting on the door sealer/sill on bottom side of doors. He says it is nothing major.
    The car came with power windows, locks, etc. Everything works BESIDES the head unit. Apparently it does not power up anymore. Even the hatch popper works.

On to the good stuff.
    The engine in the car is a semi built 2.3 with forged flat top pistons, and has some other little work such as a Ranger Roller Cam. I cannot remember much off the top of my head. I also know he has an aftermarket boost controller, FMIC, full exhaust w/ 3" DP, 2.5" flows w/ 2.5" tails.
    On an engine stand in the garage, he has the numbers matching factory engine with a ported intake, 5 angle valve job, and some other small work such as a center mount header and turbo coupe turbo (i believe). It was pulled for the sake of modding a 2.3 more, without blowing up the factory engine. It has new rings, gaskets, seals, etc.
    Anything that has come off the car, he still has. Although, i haven't heard anything about the original wheels yet saldy.

I am hoping to make a trip down to Kentucky to trade him my '86 GT T-Top..

What do you guys think about the car, the deal, etc.
    I am not an SVO gurue by any means, but, to me it seems like a well put together car that is in pretty darn good shape with some basic yet decent mods that would make the car plenty of fun to drive.
    Last edited by Sweet'86gt; 05-02-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT T-Top 105k Miles. Grey Int. H/C/I 306 (Afr 185, RPM II Intake, X-303)

Let's admit it, Fox's are an addiction.

Holy blue engine paint!!!!!!!

But it looks ok. I would think that $5500 is a little high since I have seen rare low mileage SVO's go for $8-9k(22k miles, shadow blue, all original) in the last 6 months.
    KIT

Formerly ISS SVO

"Money is like manure, of very little use except it be spread."

Francis Bacon

1984 SVO 1C #875
    MAYBE 1986 SVO 2R GTA ED. It was a theft recovery car.
    2011 GT premium 401a package KONA BLUE 6 speed manual

Yeah, I am not 100% about the car. I am dying to get an SVO but wish it was a bit cleaner. The front seats (he sent pics, trying to upload but phone won't agree with me) have some cracking and peeling of the leather on the outside bolsters.
    I just found out also, the car has a sunroof. How common is this on the '86 SVO? He said the sunroof will tilt up and slide all the way back, is this a factory sunroof or some aftermarket addition?

My dilemma I am having here is what is the value difference between an '86 T-Top and an SVO? I mean, my car isn't perfect, but it IS overall cleaner than his. However, I would also be getting a fresh engine, other misc. parts, and the paint is actually pretty nice besides some blemishes. Not bad at all. At this point, I am thinking of going down to Kentucky the next weekend that I get the opportunity to.

EDIT: Scratch the question about the sunroof. Found some production numbers and it seems the leather was an option put on about 1000 86's, and the sunroof was on about 1000 cars as well.
    Last edited by Sweet'86gt; 05-02-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT T-Top 105k Miles. Grey Int. H/C/I 306 (Afr 185, RPM II Intake, X-303)

FEP Power Member

Flat top pistons are not a good thing in a svo. Need dish pistons. That was one of the problems with the 79-80 turbo mustangs.
    Kendal

I assumed so. Im not too sure why flat tops would be put in a rebuilt engine, that is known to get boost. The factory engine that is out of the car doesn't have flat tops though. it almost seems like the engine in the car now has less potential than the stocker with those pistons? He must run 110 octane to crank the boost to 16-17.. I cant make my mind about this trade.

I was really hoping for more responses.

FEP Power Member

Watch the sunroof, they are bad to rust around the top.
    Kendal

This much I do know.
    As far as appearance you can expect to spend right at a thousand dollars for new upholstery if you install it yourself & don't need new foam.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet'86gt View Post
    I was really hoping for more responses.
    I think you give up cars too quickly and if you do the trade we will be right back here in another 2-3 months. I'm not trying to be a douche, its your car to do whatever you want with, but you just got it back from a trade, so I don't understand why you would want to get rid of it so quickly? Plus you just put those wheels on it, why spend the money if you are letting it go?

So many of us regret the cars we have let go, I just don't want you to be added to that list.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear86 View Post
    I think you give up cars too quickly and if you do the trade we will be right back here in another 2-3 months. I'm not trying to be a douche, its your car to do whatever you want with, but you just got it back from a trade, so I don't understand why you would want to get rid of it so quickly? Plus you just put those wheels on it, why spend the money if you are letting it go?

So many of us regret the cars we have let go, I just don't want you to be added to that list.
    No, you're not being a douche. You do make a good point. I really should reconsider this all, and follow through with my initial goal of making this car close to road course worthy. I am sure this car would be 10x more fun to drive with a good set of struts/springs and a 4 pt. cage.
    Track worthiness is really half of the reason I want the SVO, interests have really changed since I got my T-Top back. The windows are also a HUGE PITA because they leak as they aren't adjusted properly and I cannot seem to get them to agree with me... You could very well say I jump into decisions quickly. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    This much I do know.
    As far as appearance you can expect to spend right at a thousand dollars for new upholstery if you install it yourself & don't need new foam.
    Ron
    That alone makes this car sound much worse. He mentioned that, I don't know how worthy this all is in the big picture. Looks like I should pass this up and stick to what I know and am familiar with; my T-Top.

Sorry to waste anybody's time, but, I think it was a good thing I posted. No SVO for me. I don't need to jump into another Fox and deal with another "new to me" car. I just need to fix these windows and stop my leaks! I need tips on adjusting, I tried doing what the guide says on the FEP page and really cannot get it to work with me. Hell, now my driver's side window will slam/drop about 4 inches halfway through rolling it down!

You aren't wasting anyones time, please don't think that from my post. When I was younger I was the same way. Anytime my friends got a new car I wanted one too (thats just me, I'm not saying that is what you are doing). I was never happy with what I had. Now that I'm older I have learned from those mistakes, and I regret some of them. I just don't want to see you trade that awesome 86 and then realize that the grass wasn't greener on the other side. If you really want an SVO then go for it, I just don't think this particular car is worth trading what you already have. That 86 really is cool and with some tweaking, can be made into exactly what you want.

Just think about what you really want and the reasons behind it, then make it happen....and keep posting up any questions or thoughts you may get stuck on. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here that are happy to help you figure things out. We look out for our own.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Thanks a ton for the comments. It probably has kept me from making an impulse decision.Ever since I had a 240sx, I've loved being able to really DRIVE a car (backroading and what not), something I just cant do in my car. The more I end up going out with friends in there 4 cyl and sportier cars, I find myself wanting something else! I am not going to give up on the t-top just yet. I really think it would be cool to see this car transform into what I want. It all boils down to resources and funds. Well, I guess resources! Lol. I wish more people on the forum had experience with drifting these or even autocrossing and road racing. It is just hard to get the right comments from posts. I dont want to end up putting all this work, time, and money into transforming this car into a decent track car, then have it all blow up in my face (hopefully not literally!) when the car really ends up not doing what I hope. I know it'll be a challenge but sticking with my fox and turning into a one of a kind for the area would be worth it in the end.. That being said..
    Thanks for the kind words of wisdom for the inexperienced youth! Lol. Seriously though, i have to keep myself on track and my goal in my eyes for this car.
    Thanks again.

I saw the for sale ad, does that mean your going with an svo? Also, check the general bs section, somebody from Tuscon Arizona just asked some questions about drifting a 5.0. Looks like you might have a partner in crime (lol). Good luck with the sale.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I had an ad on craigslist for maybe 2 days and deleted it. Typical craigslist, people just pushed my buttons and practically insulted me with offers.
    The car is very loosely for sale. I am keeping my for sale thread on FEP for an SVO or Notchback trade, but like I said, very loosely for sale. I am going to continue my quest for a better handling 5.0 for now though! I guess ultimately, a car is always for sale anyways! It would just have to be a "perfect" car in my eyes to take this off of my hands.
    Thanks for telling me about that thread too, I am going to look into that thread. I have started to really compile a list of parts as well as a set of dates/goals for those parts to complete what I want to complete.

What is your ideal Mustang? Would it be one set up for handling on public roads, one that's awesome on a road course, or one that is modified for drifting? Or are you looking to add parts that would accomplish all of those things? What does it take to make a drift car? How different are they from a street car and a track car?

I just know that the Mustang has one of the largest aftermarkets for performance parts, so I would think that whatever you want to do, there has to be a company out there that car help..right?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Oh it is all possible for sure.
    The IDEAL Mustang for me would be something that handles well on public roads, yet, I can take out to the track and slide a bit at the local event once a month. Setting up a car for road course and drifting is 90% the same thing.
    Now getting SERIOUS about drifting like the Pro-Am drivers do is another ball game of course. The battle for steering angle is all it boils down to at that point (Custom front control arms, sway bars, spindles, etc.)

For me, I would want (to start) a set of Eibach Sportline springs with some adjustable shocks/struts such as Tokico's or something. Full Length Sub frame connectors, SN95 front control arms, SN95 steering rack, and a Hydraulic E-Brake being the last of all of the mods.

At that point, the car would be nicely streetable, handle like an entirely different car, and, drift to the extent I wish it to. Though it wouldn't be as predictable or as capable as my S-Chassis (240sx s13), it would be my own car, one of a kind in the area, and a blast to drive.

I'm surprised that more people don't drift fox chassis cars. The motor is easy to get power out of, it's rear wheel drive, and there are a bunch of suspension mods available. What makes the 240sx's so popular for drift cars? What other cars are typically used?

It would be cool if you were able to set that 86 up for drifting. It would be a whole new ball game for the fox community (this website included). I imagine the fact that drifting is relatively new in the States and the age demographic (the younger crowd is into drifting more than the older guys) contributes to the lack of foxes. Most kids your age want to drive imports and aren't as into 80's Mustangs like us guys that were your age when these foxes were new (or at least still in production).

You could be a pioneer for getting kids off the imports and back into American made cars. I think it's your patriotic duty (lol).
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

You are totally right. Every kid that sees a 240sx gets all googley eyed. I drove one and I must say I see why everyone loves them. It is like the Mustang - parts are easily swapped, purchased, accessible, etc. It just isn't the same driving a car without a v8 though - Plus, what is better than a Fox's styling?

The 240sx isn't the only "good" car to use to drift, more or less just the most popular being as the car is like the Fox over-seas (where drifting originated). Again, all the characteristics that we like about the Fox, reliable, cheap, easy to source parts.. Plus, most people seemed to have started with a relatively stock car, then end up with a track car before they know it. They are so cheap and easy to mod.
    The best things about the 240sx that make it so great for drifting would be the near 50-50 weight distribution, quite light curb weight, solid braking capabilities in stock form, and excellent steering angle. The car was designed to be a "luxury" sports car, mainly for the female crowd, and it has turned into a popular tuner car in the last decade because of all of those things mentioned above. Although the S-Chassis is the most heard of drift car, you commonly see chassis like the BMW E30, E36, RX7 FC/FD, etc. You get the idea. These cars are more popular than our Mustangs/American cars simply because of where drifting originated. It is commonly known that drifting originated overseas where these "imports" are there domestics. That being the case, those cars have already been modded to drift and it is common knowledge (for those into such motorsport) what makes them good at drifting.

Mustangs (S-197 chassis especially) are starting to appear in drifting more and more as time goes on. Heck, one of the top Formula-D (Drift) drivers - Vaughn Gittin Jr. started years ago in an 240sx, then moved to the S197 chassis a couple of years back. In multiple interviews he has said he did so to show off the American involvement in the drift scene. He wanted to show how capable "our" cars are. He also mentioned, as well as many other professional drivers, that the V8 is perfect for drifting since they are mostly all quite stout, daily-drive-able, and the biggest of all, they all make great torque which means smoother drifting all around.

I think a fox would be excellent once getting used to it since - as you mentioned - it is a cheap car to make power out of (the torque is really the key, which is why most guys in the big leagues are using robust LS engines) and they have a massive aftermarket availability.

Although a TON of guys on this forum would shun what I want to do with the car, I love seeing guys like you encourage such mods! I know I am not the only one on here that enjoys drifting, or the only one that would like to see a fox out there do it! I seriously hope that I can set somewhat of an "example" on the forum, even though tons of 5.0's are emerging into the scene.

Everybody and their brother around here is getting on the 240sx bandwagon since it is such a popular drift car. Drifting a Foxbody would be so sweet, seeing reactions, being asked about it, standing out from the crowd.. Heck, I have seen ONE fox even attempt to drift in the last 3 years I have been regularly attending these ever-so-quickly growing events.

Anyways, sorry for writing a novel. I am just getting excited about all of this! I wish more people on the forum could see this thread, now. Maybe get some more input on it all, I am curious what kind (and harsh words! :P ) I might see or hear about this all.

Rock on!
    Last edited by Sweet'86gt; 05-05-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Default 1986 svo

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet'86gt View Post
    http://www.mautofied.com/1986-Ford-m...ing/100569200/
    As of late, I have been poking around for an SVO. After searching, I came up with a charcoal 1986 SVO. One of the first things that I liked about the deal after chatting with him, is that he owns an 85 LX race car, 85 GT T-Top, and 2 other 85/6 mustangs (forgot specifics). Plus, he is a member on here, just not active. He says he hasn't logged in in a long time.
    He claims the paint is pretty nice "8/10". I would agree with that judging by the pics so far.
    The interior, however, shows its age. It is the factory leather, leather is cracking and the headliner sags.
    Supposedly, no rust except for a small amount starting on the door sealer/sill on bottom side of doors. He says it is nothing major.
    The car came with power windows, locks, etc. Everything works BESIDES the head unit. Apparently it does not power up anymore. Even the hatch popper works.

On to the good stuff.
    The engine in the car is a semi built 2.3 with forged flat top pistons, and has some other little work such as a Ranger Roller Cam. I cannot remember much off the top of my head. I also know he has an aftermarket boost controller, FMIC, full exhaust w/ 3" DP, 2.5" flows w/ 2.5" tails.
    On an engine stand in the garage, he has the numbers matching factory engine with a ported intake, 5 angle valve job, and some other small work such as a center mount header and turbo coupe turbo (i believe). It was pulled for the sake of modding a 2.3 more, without blowing up the factory engine. It has new rings, gaskets, seals, etc.
    Anything that has come off the car, he still has. Although, i haven't heard anything about the original wheels yet saldy.

I am hoping to make a trip down to Kentucky to trade him my '86 GT T-Top..

What do you guys think about the car, the deal, etc.
    I am not an SVO gurue by any means, but, to me it seems like a well put together car that is in pretty darn good shape with some basic yet decent mods that would make the car plenty of fun to drive.
    Send me your email... I have a beautiful 1986 SVO 331Hp interior in mint , factory wheels ect.... 7,200 bucks. My whole motor is like brand new all rebuilt dish pistons, ranger cam, lots on head work, big valves ect

Mystic, id be interested. But. Note, im not interested in outright purchasing a csf. Any deals would be a trade. I tried emailing you through the site but not sure if it worked. Email is ryanlucas36@yahoo.com. Id love to see some photos and get some more info.

I think the reason you don't see many Fox or SN95 Mustangs in drifting competitions is the 4-link rear suspension. It doesn't behave particularly predictably when heavily loaded. Mostly, it gets hard to control as you transition to sliding the rear end.

The good news is that the aftermarket has some pretty good solutions. Maximum Motorsports, Griggs, and others make torque-arm setups combined with either a Panhard rods or Watts links.
    "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car." - Will Shriner

'86 GT Mustang "Tigger"
    '95 GT convertible (wife's car)
    '86 SVO accursed car (sold)

Panhard bar is my solution!