Close

Default Cobra IRS in a Fox

I know this has been done, but I can't remember, does the IRS have a slightly wider track? As in the wheels will poke out of the fenders a bit more?

Supposing I had a line on an IRS and supposing I had a 1980 Cobra it might go in. How much do the wheels stick out? 1/2 inch?
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

Default Info that could help

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=65846

That may help you good luck. I know there are more you may want to do a search.

Dev

My brother put an IRS in his 86 coupe. He's running oem 10th anniversary wheels and they do stick out slightly.

The whole set-up is about 3" wider than a Fox, looking at the width without wheels.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

S-197 wheels will be your best bet.
    Currently Foxless

Interesting. Sounds like right wheels with the right offset makes all the difference.

Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

New User

The new MM and FF just did a bit on it. Shows all u need to know about doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKETT View Post
    The new MM and FF just did a bit on it. Shows all u need to know about doing it.
    They left out a ton of info. Boils down to they did a filler piece on a shop install with minimal changes (I was this close || to e-mailing them with a smack down). It's never as simple as it seems on the surface. It can be made simpler/cheaper than I'm doing it, but it's still an involved project and shouldn't be taken lightly. The best route on the wheels is to get final installed dimensions to come up with the correct offset/width in a custom wheel or try to get "close" with an oem wheel. In using OEM wheels be prepared to do a rear fender roll, if you don't you might run into sliced sidewalls depending on your suspension setup(spring/shock rates). You're not going to wander into svtperformance, ebay, craigslist or a junkyard and come across a fully built 03-04 IRS with brand new MM parts slapped on it for a song and a dance tomorrow. 99-04 cobra owners don't really want to swap an IRS for a pre 94 stock axle (believe me I've tried, mines still sitting in the classifieds). You'll spend between $700-$1500 for a decent to good IRS with high to average mileage, everyone gets lucky once in awhile so those are just guesstimates. That's not including the cost for the basic pieces MM&FF listed in their incomplete article.
    83 GT w/ T-Tops (JeffCleaned)
    2021 Turbo Blue Audi S5

You've still got your IRS???

Quote Originally Posted by 79Coupe View Post
    You've still got your IRS???
    Yup, life has turned my project from a stead flame to a slow burn, but it's all good.
    83 GT w/ T-Tops (JeffCleaned)
    2021 Turbo Blue Audi S5

New User

Sorry!

I've got an IRS in one car and a MM Panhard bar in the other. For the money, I would recommend the Panhard bar. I was really amazed how much the PB tightened up the handling on the SRA. Combine the PB with a good set of full length sub-frame connectors and you'll transform your car's handling and ride.

Hmmmmm....

I was thinking of the Cobra IRS for my 80 Cobra (get it ) Then I could get S-197 Cobra wheels!!

But I like the idea of the Panhard bar too. I've got a 79 coupe that might be getting that in the near future.

thanks again for all the comments.