Close

FEP Member

Default No spark need help

So I have a Mallory hyfire 6 ignition box and a Mallory ignition coil. The ignition box has less then 500 miles on it but the last one broke at 10,000. So I thought this one would make it to 10,000 but maybe its broke.

I hooked the battery rite up to the coil and it wouldn't spark. So then I hooked up a fresh ground and a wire directly to the coil and got spark.

To test for spark I stuck a screw driver in the coil wire and held it near the body and and would tap the ground wire and every time I tapped the ground wire it would spark.

But it wont spark unless I am tapping the ground wire. If I hook up the ground and have the coil connected to the battery and try turning it over I do not have spark.

Someone told me on here a while ago you can run a car with the battery hooked up directly to the coil.

We hooked up a volt meter to the ignition boxs wire that goes to the coil and it read 22v.

What the heck is going on?
    Last edited by Mikeownow; 04-21-2013 at 07:52 PM.

FEP Member

Tested the ignition box voltage output again and at one point it climbed up to 100 volts and then dropped down to 16 then 12 volts.

I think that was a pretty good sign the Mallory ignition box is shot. I don't even think it has 200 miles on it. It was installed driven once and then sat for a year then ran a motor for 1 race and then after the race lost spark. Ridiculous.

This is my 2nd Mallory ignition and it broke just like the last one in the same way.

2 thumbs down for Mallory ignition.

I guess I am going to order a MSD ignition and see how long that one will last.

Mallory robbed me pretty much so never again.