Close

Default 85 GT Rear End ID

I just picked up a really clean, low-mileage 85 GT, which finally scratched a 5.0 itch that I've had for about 25 years . From research I've done, I thought all 85s came with 7.5" rear ends. Following is the tag on mine:
    First line: 203f, second line: 3 L (I think. I couldn't read this portion given lighting, but was feeling with my finger tip and could feel the L and something that could pass for a 3 next to it) 08 A88 6B13.

From a page I found on this site, it appears that it is an 8.8" with 3.08 trac loc manufactured Feb. 13, 1986. Is this correct? If 86 manufacture date, I assume someone must of replaced the original. Does this sound correct or am I wrong regarding my decoding?

Thank you.

axle code look to be a 86, are you sure car is a 85 not 86

FEP Supporter

Also no reason to discount that the axle had been swapped at some point...

Look at the diff cover and compare it to an 8.8" and a 7.5". The matching one is what you've got. To me that's a no harm-no foul swap anyway...
    '85 GT

Welcome to FEP.

Sounds like you have a 3.08:1 Trac-Lok 8.8" rear-end. Congratulations to you. That would be a nice upgrade for my car.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

On the door tag, the build date is listed as 3/1985 so it sounds like the rear was swapped, which is probably a good thing.

One other question: this is a clean, original car (most of what has been changed / removed, I have in boxes). Interior and undercarriage are clean also. With that in mind, should I weld in subframe connectors and torque box reinforcements?

Always look at the rear axle's. I bought a 84 GT Years ago for parts. After stripping it to the core it was ready for the bone yard. I was just about ready to let it go until I looked under the back of it. Someone swapped in a 8.8" I ended up taking that too!. Sounds like you got an 8.8" too.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

Dschil,
    Sounds like you got yourself a real nice 85.
    If it were mine,I would install Subframe Connectors.
    I have the ones from MM.

As far as Torque box's go, Unless you plan on Using Drag Radials, and Racing the Hell out of it, you really don't need them for the Street.

Just my 2cents ,

Scott
    84 GT 5.0L, T5, 8.8T-Lock, 5lug with 93 Cobra Brakes,
    MM RCL's,CC plates, Koni Reds, 17" Tri-Stars...CoilOvers next.

S203F = Sterling axle plant (S), axle model 203F
    3L08 = 3.08:1 ratio (3_08), Traction-Lok differential (L)
    A88 = 8.8" ring gear (88)
    6B13 = February 13, 1986 build
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags