Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Comp XE264HR in 331 questions.....

Anybody run this cam with a carb (83-85) in California and attempt to pass smog with it? I understand most of this is not 'permitted' by the letter of the rules, and don't care. I'm more concerned with the cleanliness of the emissions at the tailpipe than the visual. I have a brand new Magnaflow 4 cat H that is used for passing only.

The duration figures don't seem too rad, and I'm considering using this setup in my about-to-be assembled 331. Initially, I was going to run the stock cam to guarantee a clean pass at the inspection station, but I'm having a hard time stomaching a stock cam in a 331/AFR street combo. This car is 100 percent street, so driveability and manners are a bit more important than an 11 second timeslip.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Have you thought about running the Ford Racing E-303 cam...it is about the same size and smog legal?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Senior Member

I wanted to run something different than an E.

I don't have any problem with them, and I don't buy into the 'old technology' issue some guys have, just wanted to try a different combo than whats usually done.

I think there may be plenty of cams that will pass, the tune just needs to be spot on when you go to the smog shop for a test. What makes it a little more difficult is the car runs a carb and not EFI. EFI is easy, have a set of fresh cats and nearly anything can pass.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Have you thought of using a custom cam? I think a call to Ed Curtis at FTI would get you everything you want and more. He is a Ford and AFR guy.