Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Looks good Ron, I hope to check these out in person on Saturday (unless your bringing the t-bird).
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear86 View Post
    Looks good Ron, I hope to check these out in person on Saturday (unless your bringing the t-bird).
    Thx...I am happy with them so far, but they don't seem to be very strong. Maybe because the SVO Hood weighs more than most Fox Hoods, I don't know?

I plan to drive the SVO for our "Phoenix Area FEP Cruise & Coffee" Saturday morning.
    Have you been able to rustle up any more folks to join us, who haven't chimed in on the thread about it?
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

I love the idea of these.. I just don't want another thing to replace after a year or two.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UFoMoCo View Post
    I love the idea of these.. I just don't want another thing to replace after a year or two.
    The one's on my '12 are at least 6 years old and have been on 4 other cars. They'll last a good while.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

Quote Originally Posted by UFoMoCo View Post
    I agree with downtime. I have had these on several cars. First one i used them on was my 02 and had that car for 6-7 years with them with no issues. The other cars i've put them on i haven't had more than 2 yrs, but never had an issue with the lift supports.
    Current: 81 Cobra T Top, 79 Cobra.
    Past Toys: 1964 Falcon Vert, 1966 Mustang(owned twice), 70 Conv, 1978 Mustang II(first car), 80 Cobra, 81 Cobra, 82 GT T-Top, 85 GT 3,900 miles, 85 Predator/Twister 5S-0149, 86 Saleen 177, 86 SVO, 86 Mustang GT, 86 Mustang GT Vert, 87 Mustang GT, 89 Mustang Notch, 2003 Mustang GT Roush Clone, 2006 Mustang V6(Stainless Works LT's, MBRP cat back, 3.73's, tb, cai), and my favorite 2002 Mustang GT MPH 302 stroker, KB 2.2, TKO 500 640rwhp/591torque.

I just got a credit back on my debit card from CJ Pony for the struts that I sent back to them.
    They would not hold up the SVO hood, so I had to return them.
    I called the manufactured to see if they had stronger struts that would work on an SVO Hood & never heard back from them........back to the prop rod
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Heads up - the MRT struts do not fit with Maximum Motorsports C&C plates. I tried to install them last weekend and found they hit the plate.

After doing some research I found a couple of posts elsewhere about this.

Anyone know how much interference there is? Is it just a little that can be ground off? I like how these look and since got them several months ago no way to return them.

Thanks,

Chris
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Lmr carries all the strut kits in one place to review and order from.
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

I have the redline tuning struts but I hesitate to drill the holes in the hood. So, I ordered the MRT struts today and will compare when they arrive. I have the Cervini 2 1/2" cowl hood on the car. MRT asked me to call Cevinis to get the weight of the hood. Cervinis said it weighed about 30 lbs. I gave this info to MRT who had told me that they do 32 lb struts (16/16), 56 lb struts (28/2 and 88 lb struts (44/44) for stock factory hoods. He recommended the 56 lb struts that hold 28 pounds per side. I mentioned the 2 1/2" cowl and asked about clearance with the windshield wipers and if the struts make the hood go higher than the factory prop rod. He said that with the struts, the hood would be about 1" lower than with the prop rod.
    Last edited by Quicksilver; 06-28-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: remove smiley face
    Rob

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Thanks as well to the poster and those that posted pictures and gave opinions. I've got a set on hold at The Mustang Shop in Calgary. $95 CDN. Better than ordering and shipping from US Can't wait to get and install them (among all the other plans )!
    I put mine in more than a month ago and couldn't be happier!

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    I got them installed this afternoon and figure they may be the best $90 I have spent on the SVO so far.
    Did you have to get a heavier strut to hold up the SVO hood? They seem heavier than others.

Looks Great! Now, which part # would I need for the MRT kit for use with my Fiberglass 4" Cervini Hood?

Thanks

I saw Ron right after he got those prop shocks and unfortunately they weren't strong enough to hold his SVO hood up. He had to return them. I didn't realize how heavy the SVO hood actually was.

They look great though, so much better than the rod.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    I have the redline tuning struts but I hesitate to drill the holes in the hood. So, I ordered the MRT struts today and will compare when they arrive. I have the Cervini 2 1/2" cowl hood on the car. MRT asked me to call Cevinis to get the weight of the hood. Cervinis said it weighed about 30 lbs. I gave this info to MRT who had told me that they do 32 lb struts (16/16), 56 lb struts (28/2 and 88 lb struts (44/44) for stock factory hoods. He recommended the 56 lb struts that hold 28 pounds per side. I mentioned the 2 1/2" cowl and asked about clearance with the windshield wipers and if the struts make the hood go higher than the factory prop rod. He said that with the struts, the hood would be about 1" lower than with the prop rod.
    So, I finally got the MRT hood struts on two days ago. I had them painted to match the body before I installed them. Big difference not having a prop rod. Once you reach the half way point, the glass hood goes up by itself and gently stops when fully open. The hood looks like it opens the same height as it did with the prop rod.

I'm curious, has anyone had any issues with the hood open on windy days? Even a light wind?
    Rob

Glad I read this...was gonna get a couple sets but have MM CC plates on the SVO. The Capri has MAC CC plates...will have to do more research.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    So, I finally got the MRT hood struts on two days ago. I had them painted to match the body before I installed them. Big difference not having a prop rod. Once you reach the half way point, the glass hood goes up by itself and gently stops when fully open. The hood looks like it opens the same height as it did with the prop rod.

I'm curious, has anyone had any issues with the hood open on windy days? Even a light wind?
    No issues here, even in a pretty gusty wind. I left the Capri outside with the hood up most of the afternoon last weekend and it got pretty windy. Hood stayed up just fine, I really like these struts!
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

Quote Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
    No issues here, even in a pretty gusty wind. I left the Capri outside with the hood up most of the afternoon last weekend and it got pretty windy. Hood stayed up just fine, I really like these struts!
    Thanks, good to know. It just feels so different with the struts...like there is now no weight to it.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    Glad I read this...was gonna get a couple sets but have MM CC plates on the SVO. The Capri has MAC CC plates...will have to do more research.
    I have the UPR CC plates on mine and with the MRT struts there is no problem with clearance.
    Rob

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  110.5 KBNot sure if it was mentioned already, but I have the ones from Redline Tuning and the work real good on mine.

Anyone know if the MRT kit will work on a Fairmont?
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

These have been on my list for a while. Those tiny ones look awesome. If you can't find stronger ones for an SVO hood, keep the kit and find a set from a large SUV or something with a much heavier hood.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123