Default aftermarket auto shifters

What is everyone using and anyone have pictures
    84 Mustang GT (needs restored)
    1986 True Blue Vert

I have a Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter on my 86GT
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1993 Mustang GT ,393w TKO600 .

2015 Ford F150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost.

I'm using a B&M Z gate with my c4, simple no frills shifter, only thing is it's foward throw is a bit long when going into park, it has positive bang it forward shifts tho. I don't have a center console in the car, probably wouldn't have a factory look anyway.

Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 04-07-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silver86fox View Post
    I have a Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter on my 86GT
    how did it fit in there...I tried the BM hammer but doesn't fit to well.. would like to try and make it look good
    1986 True Blue Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Wikd331 View Post
    how did it fit in there...I tried the BM hammer but doesn't fit to well.. would like to try and make it look good
    I used a shifter plate from Holcomb Motorsports , had to trim floor a bit , but was an easy install , and console fit perfect

http://shop.holcombmotorsports.com/S...?categoryId=-1
    1993 Mustang GT ,393w TKO600 .

2015 Ford F150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost.

B&M Hammer

Quote Originally Posted by DARKPHREAK View Post
    B&M Hammer
    that's actually the route im going to take..just need the ebrake delete cover
    1986 True Blue Vert

hope you like ratchet type shifters, personally I don't like pulling it 3-4 times to get into low gear. z gate in non ratchet.

What are the benefits to having a shifter like this? I always thought an auto was an auto and there wasn't anything you could do to improve it. Do you guys manually shift the low gears when racing? Sorry for all the questions, but I've always wondered about this.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I used the B&M Hammer shifter for the AOD. I didn't like the handle so I got the round shift knob from the B&M quicksilver shifter and put that on. With the kit, the shifter fits right in the stock console.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear86 View Post
    What are the benefits to having a shifter like this? I always thought an auto was an auto and there wasn't anything you could do to improve it. Do you guys manually shift the low gears when racing? Sorry for all the questions, but I've always wondered about this.
    get it in low and bang it forward as hard as you want,for each gear. it'll only change gears once per hit and they are designed to not go into neutral by accident.

I had a stock AOD with a Bauman shift kit but, it didn't last too long. You can't beat (manually shift) on a stock AOD for too long.

The AOD I have now is fully built with a custom valve body, upgraded servos and other internal parts, one piece input shaft, tranny brake, overdrive lockout, 3500 stall converter, tranny cooler and it can either be shifted manually (up and down at any speed) or put it in OD and it shifts automatically. The tranny brake works in 1st gear. I wouldn't trade it. Other versions of it are built for cars that are "street" cars. Mine has everything because it was the prototype. It has been running perfectly since 1995. The Hammer shifter makes it work great.

Thanks guys! Just a couple more questions (sorry to get off topic from the OP's question). With a shift kit, it's faster to shift the auto yourself (meaning the gear changes are quicker), rather than letting the trans do it for you? Last one is with a kit, you can control the RPM's you shift at because your basically shifting like a manual trans without the clutch, right?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

B&M Hammer in my 86GT.

1979 Ghia Coupe
    5.0/C4
    Polar White
    1981 Cobra
    Gen 2 Coyote/6R80
    Bright Bittersweet
    2022 Mustang GT
    10r80 Whipple
    Eruption Green

Thanks guys! Just a couple more questions (sorry to get off topic from the OP's question). With a shift kit, it's faster to shift the auto yourself (meaning the gear changes are quicker), rather than letting the trans do it for you? Last one is with a kit, you can control the RPM's you shift at because your basically shifting like a manual trans without the clutch, right?
    shift kit firms up the shifts, most will still change automatically, or you can hold in in any gear longer and shift when you want

Talking

Anyone know who sells the E-brake cover?
    84 Mustang LX 351W
    Weiand Stealth
    Edelbrock 1406
    BBK Shorties
    O/R H pipe
    Super 40s
    8.8 3.27 gears

Quote Originally Posted by Lubner View Post
    B&M Hammer in my 86GT.

I also have one of the 79-86 Console Hammers for my 85 GT. Not installed yet, waiting until the interior is restored.

Bad part about these shifters is they are no longer available for the 79-86's anymore. I searched high and low and was only able to find the one I bought, and that was a couple of years ago already. Good luck in locating one to anybody looking for one!

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by brian84foxbody View Post
    Anyone know who sells the E-brake cover?
    I have never seen a reproduction of the E-brake cover. Best bet would be to post an ad in the WTB section of the classifieds here, or start searching junkyards!

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.