Close

Default Manual steering rack help

i bought this steering rack and i just installed it today.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-770604

my tire size is 235/40R17 fronts and 275/45R17 rear

what i noticed i off the bat was the steering shaft joints were huge! and since i have long tube headers, i had to run it through the header, barely cleared it, sometimes rubs, but not noticable

second, its a bit easy to steer at a stand still, but when i take off and go take a turn at a higher rate of speed, i find it alot more difficult that it is at a stand still.

the car does need an alignment since i only did toe to get it to drive straight.

could it be just an alignment or did i do something wrong with the installation?
    can the steering shaft humongo joint rubbing on the header cause it to do that as well?
    i have never came across this problem before
    Last edited by Super_Sonic; 03-30-2013 at 03:05 PM.
    "You Say Your Fast, But I Got A Fast Car Too. Prove To Me Your Car Is Fast, Then We'll Talk"

1986 Mustang GT Foxbody

the steering shafted did rub pretty bad, so i order a flaming rivers steering shaft thatll clear it.

is there anything else that can cause such difficulties turning at high speeds?
    "You Say Your Fast, But I Got A Fast Car Too. Prove To Me Your Car Is Fast, Then We'll Talk"

1986 Mustang GT Foxbody

It is probably the steering shaft if it's hitting pretty good. I had that happen with some longtube headers we installed and the stock shaft felt like the steering was notchy. I ground the shaft down a hair and installed new motor mounts and it fixed the problem.

Is it just hard to steer or is it stopping at a point that you have to yank it to turn?
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

As you suggest, a manual rack should get easier to manipulate with speed. A binding shaft wouldn't reduce this. Perhaps your ackermann geometry is out of whack? Is the vehicle lowered?
    Last edited by JungleJetDriver; 03-31-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: sp
    408W/AFR205/Vic Jr/Prosystems 4150HP XC/solid roller 242/248, .381/.385 with 1.6/ T5(hang in there little buddy)

no its not lowered, i do have new motor mounts

yea, when i hit 80mph, it got very difficult to turn. i order a low profile steering shaft so i hope it solves the problem

ill i have to check out the geometry when i have that new shaft, which may or may not have anything to do with it since it is stock hieght

1986 Mustang GT Foxbody

i just got it together with the new steering shaft and it cleared everything.
    drove it and was alot easier. just feels like the toe alignment is dogfighting affecting my cornereing.

ill have to take it in for alignment
    anything else i should look out for to make it more responsive?

1986 Mustang GT Foxbody