Close

Default procomp ignition

i have an 85 gt and just added a procomp dist 8000 series and a multi spark pc6al cdi ign box and cant get it to run right.its like its a tooth off but for some reason i can not get it to go back a tooth.i can get it to run after cranking the dist one direction but when i shut it off i have major starter drag.i bring it up to top dead center i believe with 0 being on the pointer and harmonic balancer ,am i 180 out or what please help

I have seen on other sites where many people have had problems with the procomp stuff. Most of the issues were with the ignition box not working properly.
    Welcome to FEP!

Sorry double post.
    Last edited by Farmer83; 03-29-2013 at 06:07 AM.

Welcome to FEP. If it were me, I would remove the spark plugs, rotate the engine to TDC on the #1 cylinder, make sure it's on the compression stroke. Then pull the distributor cap and check the rotor position. This will tell you if you're 180* off or not. Make your adjustments as needed from there.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Top dead center on compression stroke, rotor will point to the number one cylinder on the cap. You can leave the distributor where it is, as long as there is no physical interference between the distributor and the manifold, and you can move distributor enough to set timing.

You can just start with where the rotor is pointing for number one cylinder. Then continue around the cap with the correct firing order. No reason the distributor has to go in the exact spot it came out of. I used to sweat pulling out a distributor, but it really is not a big deal. Not as complicated as some people make it out to be.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

IMHO, you would be better off removing the ProComp stuff and putting your original Duraspark module and distributor back in.

Why did you remove the Duraspark in the first place? Do you have the need for a hotter spark than the Duraspark could provide? What other mods do you have done to your car?

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.