Close

Default Swapping mufflers.... to just resonators??

I'm sure many people will give me flack for thinking of this but I'm used to dumps on my mustang lol...
    I have full BBK exhaust 2.5" with ceramic headers, HI FLO cats, and super turbo mufflers... It is pretty quiet...... My muffler is literally half of an inch or less from touching my aluminum driveshaft... due to size, and sound... I am thinking of replacing my mufflers with SLP resonators...
    Anyone have input on such an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykWowsMz3cU
    ^^Current exhaust, sounds much more quiet in person
    Last edited by fiveoh 86lx; 03-28-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Back in the day, my cousin did this on a couple of third-gen F-bodies - he removed the transverse muffler in the rear and used Ansa resonator tips. Gave the cars a nice rumble, but it wasn't annoying on the highway or anything - no drone... The theory was that the factory cats did quite a bit of the muffling... I say go for it!
    '85 coupe - It's ALIVE!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnu4w_5P284
    Originally a 4 cyl / auto car; now has an '87 Roller motor topped by a Weiand Action Plus and a Holley 600; backed by a rebuit T-5. Also has shorty headers, an off road X-pipe, and a MAC cat back exhaust.
    Still needs paint (Medium Canyon Red Metallic) and interior work (Sand Beige). Would like to upgrade the suspension and brakes as well...
    **SIGH** So much to do, so little time (and money!)

Well I'm running with long tubes, 2 cherry bomb glasspacks and no cats, and I love it. The drone can be annoying on a long trip but that rarely happens. It's usually short Sunday drives that wakes the neighbors. Go for it
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

Also my current mufflers are offest... I would have to weld the resonators in at an angle?
    Not sure how it usualy is done

it will probably sound terrible. i have heard a few different v8s with slp loudmouths... they were just loud and raspy.

cale

I removed the mufflers on my 87 LX 5.0 when it was new.

It actually sounded pretty good with just the stock cats and tailpipes.

About the same sound as Flowmasters with no cats...

Do you have to run the cats in NY? I've owned 2 4 eyed ragtops and when I bought both of them they had catted H-pipes on them. Initially, I swapped my first vert to a MAC cat back and my 2nd vert to a Flowmaster cat back. They were both still too quiet for me. I like my car to sound good. They both truly woke up when I swapped out the catted H-pipe for an off road H.

I'm taking my 86 T-top today to Bill (Magnum517) to be inspected once it has stickers on it, one of my first swaps will be to remove the stock exhaust. I'll be running shorty headers, an off road H, and a MAC cat back. Here in PA if your car does under 5000 miles per year you qualify as emissions exempt so there is no visual inspection required. I can't wait to hear my new exhaust.
    Greg

95 Bronco 4WD 5.0, auto, 3:55 rear- daily driver

86 Mustang GT T-tops 5.0, 5 speed, 3:27 gears

68 Firebird 400, ported 6X heads, 068 cam, Muncie 4-speed, 3:55 gears

It does have to have cats, but I'm sure I can find a way around that, but I don't want to remove them until they create a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-G View Post
    Initially, I swapped my first vert to a MAC cat back and my 2nd vert to a Flowmaster cat back. They were both still too quiet for me.
    if it was the american thunder catback, i have found those to be pretty quiet.

cale

If it still has cats I think they sound great with no mufflers or resonators. That's how I ran a car of mine. All stock exhaust but no mufflers.

For all the guys that have to have visual inspections look into this, its pretty much just a sample tube but should pass visual inspection. http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...72f5b4b271cde2

If clearance is an issue why not just run glasspacks? I ran them on my first 86GT and they sounded pretty cool. You can get them with offset ends so they would almost be a bolt-in. Of course anything can be made to work with a little welding.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

The BEST sound on a car I ever had was LTs, no cats, silencer and corsa cat back, yeah it was on a LS1 98 SS. I LOVE the sound of the new 5.0s and I have an Hpipe to catback flowcraps 3". I'm thinking of some small silencers where the cats were to make it sound a bit deeper similar to that setup.
    85 GT built 347, Steeda t5, 3.55s, full susp, real Saleen body kit, Saleen rims...for go but need paint to show!
    99 TA ram air Daytona Pace car, 6spd 520rhp/497tq, full featured car Pont High Perf. 10.89@128 and 172mph in the mile run.
    00 TA boltons auto, the driver.
    01 TA ram air 6spd vert, just boltons, the cruiser.

heres my car with longtubes. custom h pipe, no cats and a slp loudmouth 2 catback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIOUp...c5Fdsg&index=6
    Chris Perry
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0
    1984 Thunderbird TC