Close

Thread: How do you ?

Default How do you ?

How do you get the stainless around the windows cleaned up .I tried everything steelwool, mothers polish, cleaner nothing will even touch it.I am about ready to paint it all black.All its on my 85 coupe.It kinda looks faded.

Which exact pieces are you talking about...pictures maybe? Most of the trim I have handled was actually aluminum...not stainless. Also, on an 85-86 car the darker trim should be charcoal, not black.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Its the trim around the windshield and side windows and rear window.It looks like crap its all faded and nothing will touch it.Its bright colored not black.And you cant buy it anywhere that i know of.I thought about painting it trim black,But once i scuff it to paint theres no going back.

Those parts are alumninum which has been anodized then sealed. Your options are very limited in what you can do. 1) take them off, strip the anodizing (I believe a lye based solution works), then sand and polish. Once you do this, you must keep them polished and waxed or they oxidize quickly. 2) have them re-anodized and sealed.

Check out this site:

http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

Kenny

Maybe a sand and polish and a powder coat clear would be good.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

I tried to wet sand the rear quarter window trim and it went threw to the alumninum now its no good the drivers side rear quarter Now i need used trim or paint it all black.This stinks why cant we get this repro ,Now what do i do.I need to let this car sit awhile its getting on my last nerve, Everthing i do turns into a pain.I was trying to get it done this year to cruise and enjoy guess its not going to make it.Ok rant over.

FEP Senior Member

Sanding it just gets the part hot and ruins it. To get it back shiny you have to strip the anodizing off and either polish and seal it or have it re-anodized. The fading you see is the anodizing deteriorating. There is a guy on Youtube that uses hair and greaseball remover to strip the anodizing before polishing. I have not done this, but I have been planning on trying it. I would definitely pull it off the car to polish it.
    http://youtu.be/3Jdlo-AQoAY
    1986 Notchback, Recently repainted Light Regatta Blue(3J) and getting put back the way it should be. It had a 3.8 and a C5. Now it has a 5.0 and a T5.

i had mine all painted black when i sent it for paint. i couldn't stand the chrome looking trim.

cale

I painted it trim black just to see what it looked like,The wife said it looks so much better.I didnt sand the door trim just paint to see if i liked it.It may grow on me . Wish i would have seen that video before i sanded it, That may have worked.

I wouldn't give up on making it work. Your car is one of my favorites on this site, and because of how rare it is, it deserves to look factory. I would bite the bullet, remove all the trim, and find a professional to help you get the shine back. Then it will look factory fresh, and be protected for many years to come. I drool over that car about once a week, it deserves to stay the way it was made. Just my .02
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Not sure how bad they are at this point but you will want to utilize the brown tripoli and white rouge on a polish wheel attached to a varible speed drill for best results. I agree with the statement above...don't give up on this outstanding little pony!
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

There's a thread, search on "Tip of the Day", that mentions a cheap paint you can buy to repaint that trim that supposedly looks pretty good.

I'm not a fan of doing things half-a**ed, but stuff like this, if you can make it look good with an hour of masking and light sanding, and you have to re-do it every three years, I'm good with that. Having the anodizing redone is the best way, but a lot more work getting it all apart and obviously the expense. This might be the solution you're looking for, you can always check with the original poster to see how well the paint is holding up.

Yeah still on the fence about the trim ,Painting it black or not. Its stinks you cant get it. Can you get the trim off the quarter windows whith out taking the glass out ? Whats bad is all the trim is dull . Just looks bad. Oh well something needs to be done whith it . Black, maybe my only option.Or do what mattj said. Still thinking.Could get new black for the winshied and gt moulding for the doors in black ,Paint the back window trim black And work on the rest and hope thay make it soon.Or look for it in carlisle.

Don't sweat this one, really. It's strictly cosmetic, you can use the car either way. Look at it this way, I think it looks great black, that's probably the way it came on your car in the first place. It's dull looking because it's supposed to be coated. If you want to polish it, that's an option and you have lots of advice on how to do that and to keep it looking good. If you aren't sure which way you want it to look, you can always paint it and polish it later. You'd still probably have to do some stripping anyway, so you can treat the black paint as a temporary deal and you can decide if you like it that way or not. The whole paint job on my car looks like sh*t, and it bugged me a lot more when I first got the car last Summer (I still plan on doing something about it), but in the meantime I'm driving it and enjoying not worrying about where I park it. Don't let something minor like this get you down!

Thanks mattj your right,Some times i get in a big hurry and want everthing perfect,That cant always be,The black looks good but so does the bright.I will look around maybe i can find some in a junk yard later.For now it will be black ,And i will round some up and strip it and polish it up for later down the road.