Close

Default how to glue in fairmont futura tail lens

What do you use to glue the tail light lenses back in? I am afraid to use just anything, because if its too weak, they'll fall out. and if its too strong, you'll NEVER be able to remove them again without them breaking!! any tips?
    1979 Ford Fairmont Futura "The F Bomb"

84 CAPRI RS FOR SALE
    i'm a car junkie - i love junkie cars

I have some of that left over from installing a back window. Its kind of thick but I guess I could roll it out like making a worm with play-doh to make it skinnier. thanks for the reply.

We're using urethane... but that's probably not what you want to use if you want to get them back out. I would imagine using a small amount of it would be easier to get off in the future. My dad, nor I, trust the window butyl. It just doesn't seem like it would seal the best or stick extremely well, even though they did used it from the factory.. I'd probably try the butyl first though. Better safe than sorry.

When restoring the tail light area, and you have the lenses off... I wonder what would be better to paint in insides of the encasulated area inside the tail light? with some of that cheesy chrome paint? or white? what would be best for brightness?

Quote Originally Posted by sircrunch View Post
    When restoring the tail light area, and you have the lenses off... I wonder what would be better to paint in insides of the encasulated area inside the tail light? with some of that cheesy chrome paint? or white? what would be best for brightness?
    This is so ironic because we literally just did that this weekend. we used automotive paint. it was a very metallic sliver with clear coat. I think it came out great and should reflect the light very well. I have pictures on my build page. I wanted something that was going to last and not chip. I think some of the cheaper rattle can paints would be less reflective and not as durable.

Hope this helps

that is a nice job, i just checked out your build page. The way i'm doing it is deleting the chrome/aluminum trim that goes around the perimeter of the tail lights. When you remove that trim you are met with the little plastic or fiberglass nail head things all the way around. dozens of them it seems. I ground them down and filled the tiny holes it leaves behind with some fingered-in fiberglass. Sanded that down smooth and if all goes well with the weather, I should be able to paint Wednesday. De-trimmed tail lights. It will be all black (except the part under the lens, which will be silver) should be sharp

that is a nice job, i just checked out your build page. The way i'm doing it is deleting the chrome/aluminum trim that goes around the perimeter of the tail lights. When you remove that trim you are met with the little plastic or fiberglass nail head things all the way around. dozens of them it seems. I ground them down and filled the tiny holes it leaves behind with some fingered-in fiberglass. Sanded that down smooth and if all goes well with the weather, I should be able to paint Wednesday. De-trimmed tail lights. It will be all black (except the part under the lens, which will be silver) should be sharp
    You'll have to post up some pictures when you're all done. Sounds pretty cool

finished.
    Last edited by sircrunch; 03-27-2013 at 07:43 PM.

finished.

Pictures? and what did you end up using to hold the taillights in?

oh i thought i did post a pic, must have not worked. here is the pic. I used stretched out butyl ribbon tape left over from a back window installation

looks great!!