Close

Default ltd wagon wheelhop

HI This is probly getting old to some of you please forgive me. 84 ltd wagon, 5.0l 5spd 8.8 4.10 gears tubular rear uca and lca poly bushing at each end. Has new kyb gr2 shocks with new cargo coils(really stiff) Wheel hop is violent from standing starts roll ons anytime it spins (no quads) 275 60 15 tire please help me. Is the stiff spring causing this? personal exp. and what i have read tells me the stiff spring is better to stop the hop Please any info will be much apreciated
    Last edited by wagonman; 12-28-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: bad typing skill

Welcome from the deep south, sounds to me like that your in need of some good traction bars, but I don't know much bout ltd wagons.

Eh?

A proper rear set up will be better.

Polly for the uppers and lowers is bad. Causes bind.

KYB's are junk.

Go to the Maximum Motorsports web site and read up what they say about suspension bind.

On my 85 GT I have stock uppers and Maximum Motorsports Extreme Duty control arms and no horizontal shocks. It has absolutely no wheel hop.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

If you don't have quads, traction bars would be a good move.

The stockers on my SVO work great.
    84 SVO - Air filter, FMIC, walbro pump, straight piped, chipped/tuned LB3, 15 psi - 202whp 238ftlbs
    92 Aristo - ARC Intake, GReddy FMIC, catback, Mine's ECU, 16 psi - 350whp 320ftlbs

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    If you don't have quads, traction bars would be a good move.

The stockers on my SVO work great.
    Don't need horizontal shocks or traction bars if you have a proper set up.
    Last edited by Marz; 12-30-2012 at 03:50 AM.

Pinion snubber time!
    Dan

1985 Lincoln Continental. T-5, Bullit wheels, Mustang springs and Hybrid Lincoln/Mustang control arms, 8.8 w 3.27s, Cobra swaybar, adjustable struts and shocks....

Default hop

Marz what rear shocks are you running. what springs

Stock springs on my LTD LX.

I have bilsteins in the rear. Koni reds up front. I'd like Bilsteins up front but cant afford them. May just have to buy a set of koni reds for the rear for a matching set. Though going to the salvage yard today due to a half off weekend and may get lucky.

Eventually my LTD LX will get this.

It already has new upper control arms with new bushings for the axle side. Both axle and chassis sides are replacement Ford rubber. The new Ford uppers came with the updated rubber.
    Last edited by Marz; 12-30-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Default ltd wagon wheelhop

added some rear lower control arm relocating brackets (homemade) dropped the rear of the arm 2.5 in the wheelhop is COMPLETLY GONE NONE WHATSOEVER. It now hook decent even on cold streets at -15C now were havn fun.

Default stop the hop

Made some lower control arm relocation brackets. the wheel hop I have been fighting with is GONE COMPLETELY. Dropped the rear of the arm 2.5 inches, it does affect the ride height but it hooks hard even on cold streets. 84 ltd wagon 5.0l 5spd 4.10s
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by wagonman; 03-19-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Sounds like a great idea,got any pics?

Why not install some quads?
    The hardware is dirt cheap from the salvage yard, and even new quad shocks are inexpensive parts. Install the hardware, and get some new quads from the parts house.

Just a thought.

I know you can do other things than quads...
    This is just one way to skin this cat, so to speak.
    It's just as easy, and probably less expensive than other methods.

If you are on a budget, ditch those GR2 rear shocks first, they are no good.

Almost any other shock will be an improvement over GR2s.

Tokiko, Koni, Bilstein, Strange, all good.

Also, ditch the leveler springs, they are too stiff and the shocks aren't valved for it.

If you need extra cargo carrying capacity install some airbags.

Default prob solved

ya since the relocating brackets were installed the hop is gone completely and the traction is great. I have no room for quads even flipped around 275 60 15s thanx tho for your input. Even for those with no hop try this relocating
    thing your traction improvement is unbelivable. I guess thats why southside lift bars were so popuar back in the day...lol I now also have stock stang springs and air bags in the back. It still hopped till the geometry change. before I did this I measured it up on an instant center calc and it had only 15percent anti squat and the instant center was actually behind the car.......now I dont know the numbers but dont care..... it works thanks again for all the input
    Last edited by wagonman; 03-18-2013 at 10:17 PM.