Close

Default Question about ASC McLaren 140 mph speedometer

I know they put 140 mph speedometers in the 84-86 McLaren Capri's, but didn't realize they laid down a decal covering the original face of the speedometer. I have one of these ASC McLaren speedos NOS. Can anyone tell me if their Mclaren 140 mph speedo face has a shine to the finish and you can see cut outs on the odometer and trip displays from an overlay or decal? I'm very curious about this as I don't understand why they just wouldn't use the Mustang speedo and not slap a decal on it. I posted a picture of mine for you to see. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom T.

Neither here nor there

More details to what you have?

Where did you get it?
    Do you have the original box?

From my understanding they used the Motorsport Speedo, which that one isn't.

I would venture to guess that is a Re-calibrated 85 to 140 speedo that was done by a company.

I bought this directly from ASC McLaren. I'm not a fan of stickers. I can see air bubbles and it is off center. It just came in a white box. I bet your right about recalibration. I was thinking of that myself. I checked the part number against the motorsport and it does not match. So your right about that. I just wasn't sure if they ever installed them this way on the cars?

Thanks,
    Last edited by twingsrs; 03-22-2013 at 09:10 PM.
    Tom T.

Don't know too much about this, however I found a similar speedo on eBay for sale. Maybe they can be of more help to you guys. Here's the link,
    Current Cars:
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe 5.0 3J Bright Blue
    1984 GT T top 306 5 speed "Black Mamba"
    1986 Saleen Black with Silver Stripes 86#009
    1986 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red 5 speed 5.0
    1999 Mustang GT Convertible 35th anniversary 69K miles.
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6 Speed "Daily Driver"
    2009 Corvette 6 speed LS3

1998 Cobra 71k miles Canary Yellow "Nana" SOLD

Default Question about ASC McLaren 140 mph speedometer

The one up on eBay looks just like mine. Well, I decided to return my speedo back to ASC. He was good about my reasons for returning it. Thanks all for your help on this one!

Thanks,
    Tom T.

Are you saying you bought it off Henry in Florida?

I do know he was buying lots stock speedometers a couple of years ago

Saleen did the same thing on the 4 eye cars. The speedo had an overlay and the tach had a "Saleen" decal.

Why?

Speculation on my part is that it was certainly cheaper to re-calibrate the original speedo already in the car than buy a new Motorsport speedo to replace the original speedo. There also may have been laws/rules concerning the replacement of a speedometer versus the re-calibration of the original speedo with respect to vehicle mileage and Federal Mileage Statement reporting requirements. Either way the speedo cluster had to be removed for the speedo upgrade.

The aero car speedo's on Saleen Mustangs had a complete silk screened face as per original Ford. Once again the cluster had to be removed so pretty easy to just change the face and recalibrate the speedo already in the car. If I am not mistaken that is also what it appears to me that Mclaren did!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

BBK used to do conversions back in the day. You send them an 85mph unit, they recalibrate it and use a 140mph decal on it. I bought quite a few of them. You could always see the sanding scratches under the sticker.
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

I did buy it from Henry in FL and I was was told he was out of the NOS Motorsport speedos as of a few years ago. I Think ASC actually used the Motorsport 140 because that it what he had from ASC when he bought their parts. I've decided to buy the MC Machine dash bezel and install Auto Meter gauges for my Coyote swap anyways. So that problem is solved. I think your right about him stocking up on the speedos. He offered me to choose from a selection of used Motorsport 140 mph speedos though. Which I thought was reasonable at $150. I just don't need one now.
    Tom T.

I sold Henry 2 or 3 stock speedo's threw eBay one year

Thomas, the original asc Company was from Michigan. In the 90's because people were walking off with parts, Henry (from Florida) made a deal with asc to buy out their remaining inventory. He has been selling parts ever since. He does his level best to get people parts (they are getting scarce) to keep their asc cars going. He remakes parts, refurbishes parts, etc. The speedo you got was one he had to get re-calibrated and put a sticker on it since the correct 140MPH speedos are probably really tough to get now.

MOST of the 84-85 Capris did NOT get the 140MPH speedo. Ford didn't have them out until LATE 85 at the earliest. Maybe a few of the late 85's got them, but I think only the 86 Capris got the 140MPH speedo.

My 85 was made in the first 30 cars for 1985 and it got the 85MPH speedo.

-Mike

Thanks Mike,
    I talked to Hank several months ago and you are right. He does have a few used 140 MPH speedos, but the new ones are long gone. I sent mine back as I was not impressed with the air bubbles behind the decal and the fact that it was not centered. He made it right in the end. I turned around and bought a pair of original ASC Capri head light covers instead with my credit. I'm looking forward to putting those on the car when it is done.
    Tom T.

My '85 came with the stock 85MPH speedo and while I signed papers, my buddy changed it out with the Motorsport 140MPH unit right at delivery.

My '86 came with that same Motorsport 140MPH unit from the jump because by '86, DOT had rescinded that silly speedo rule and either Ford--or likely, ASC, was installing them as they had promised from the start of Coupe production.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG View Post
    My '86 came with that same Motorsport 140MPH unit from the jump because by '86, DOT had rescinded that silly speedo rule and either Ford--or likely, ASC, was installing them as they had promised from the start of Coupe production.
    Ford did not install 140 MPH speedos on new cars. You could have the dealer install it after purchasing the car. ASC had a bit more lead way as they were dealing with post factory cars. There were plenty of cars on the market with speedos going over 85 MPH. It was likely more of a corporate thing left over after regulation or mindset change.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

NHTSA dropped the 85 MPH requirement just after the beginning of the 1982 model year but the big three decided to stick with it for a while.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags