Close

Default Anyone know what this is / Does?

86 Mustang GT Convertible. I'm pretty sure its a circuit breaker but I dont know what it does or what amperage its supposed to be. There are no numbers on the casing. The two 10 gauge yellow wires were attached to it. The component was attached via a tab to the right of the drivers side footwell under the dash
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks aftermarket to me, what do the wires go to?

I dont know what they do, thats why I posted it,

Blog Entries

Does this car have an aftermarket alarm in it?
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

One of those RFI filters for the radio...I think
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

Blog Entries

I was thinking motion sensor for alarm- but you could be right. Now I want to know what it is, and it is not even my car.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

FEP Power Member

Flux capacitor relay. What does the car do when you hit 88 mph?

FEP Supporter

^^^^What he said.^^^^
    Gonna go back in time.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

it may be a connection for your overhead conuter valve? I agree it does look aftermarket.

I took the component apart and it appears to be a circuit breaker of some type and traced it back to the ignition switch, maybe an alarm at some point, As usual none of the Auto Parts stores had any idea and just told me to look on the shelf to see if I could find one - Morons

Yes, as you have stated it is an inline circuit breaker. Were those yellow wires connected to it? Is the black thing part of it?

What year/model is this?
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

FEP Senior Member

Since the wires are big and yellow I am going to bet it is a circuit breaker for the convertible top. I know the later Foxes have a circuit breaker like that for the top.
    1986 Notchback, Recently repainted Light Regatta Blue(3J) and getting put back the way it should be. It had a 3.8 and a C5. Now it has a 5.0 and a T5.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Since the wires are big and yellow I am going to bet it is a circuit breaker for the convertible top. I know the later Foxes have a circuit breaker like that for the top.
    Bingo for Domino. I just looked under my stock 86GT dash and those big yellow wires disappear into the original harness. It is mounted to the actual bottom of the dash right near the conv top switch. I'm not interested enough to take my switch out and look: BUT:

You can make positively sure simply by pulling one of the yellow wires off the relay and I bet your top won't work (assuming it still does?). It has to be that as no way they are going to run 30amps directly thru a switch to run that big pump.
    86 GT Conv. Stock White "Shamu" - Sold 2014 @ 134k
    84 5.0 LX Conv. Canyon Red - Sold to collector 2010
    82 GT Coupe Black - Full body Stk Race Car - Sold 2003
    87 GT Conv. Wife's Stock Poppy Red - Sold 2002

My car has those too, They run under the hood into the main harness. I'm still not sure what they do, I came across them over the weekend when I was doing my wire tuck.