Close

Default Spring Fever-Home front end alignment

Trimmed the shrubs this morning then decided to do some long neglected maintenance to the 85. I have been meaning to get it aligned for a WHILE now, but figured I could save the $75 and do it myself. I used a Craftsman laser level, 1 jackstand and a steel ruler. I've many many other posts about this method, so I can't claim it, but it was pretty easy, EXCEPT for finding a way to hold the steering wheel straight. It kept moving as I turned each tie rod and I was getting way frustrated and thinking I need to get an assistant. UNTIL I saw the 4' long zip ties hanging on the wall. I think my brother got them for some a/c duct work in the house or something.

Luckily my headliner is out. I ran a zip tie around a spoke on each side of the steering wheel and up thru holes in the roof. Then it was just a matter of setting the laser parallel to a back tire and then measuring the front tire. No wonder it drove like crap...I must've had 3/4" toe out. I'm at about 1/16" to 3/32" toe in now. I took my angle finder and set my camber to -.5 or so...best as I can get it to be halfway between 0 and 1 degree. I didn't check caster...I just shoved the caster camber plates as far back as they will go. I know it's a lot more than stock.

Next up is to install my billet low mount alternator bracket to get ready for the B&M144 supercharger install.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Nice. I wish I had a level driveway to do that stuff myself. Can't wait to see the B&M install thread.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Glad I have a garage...with all the lighting I have, it's a little hard to see the laser...I had to shut the garage door since it was clear and sunny. Got the alt on...need to post a new thread and some pics...and get a longer belt tomorrow...the first one I got is too short.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes