Close

Default 85 build. need help installing the wideband o2! Please Help!!

hi i started to install all my parts on my svo and the only thing im having concerns with is the wiring of the wideband o2 sensor. im trying to use the stock narrowband o2 sensor wires to hook up the wideband. if any one has pics or can give me a detailed expl

What are you running for engine management, stock ECU? What wideband do you have? You need one with narrowband emulation if you're trying to hook it into the stock wires as well... Can't just hook a wideband sensor up into the stock harness and expect it to work.
    84 SVO - Air filter, FMIC, walbro pump, straight piped, chipped/tuned LB3, 15 psi - 202whp 238ftlbs
    92 Aristo - ARC Intake, GReddy FMIC, catback, Mine's ECU, 16 psi - 350whp 320ftlbs

I have a pimp ecu from stinger performance and an aem wideband 30-4100. I thought I had read that I would be able cut the narrowband wires and use that as a pigtail for the new wideband. This is the only thing holding me back from the car firing up

Then yeah you should be able to do it.

On the harness the 2 same colored wires are for the heater circuit, the odd coloured wires are the sensor power and signal to ecu. Use a multimeter to find out which one is your signal to the ecu. Install the wideband and controller and gauge as you would normally, then splice the signal off the controller into the factory signal wire to the ECU.
    84 SVO - Air filter, FMIC, walbro pump, straight piped, chipped/tuned LB3, 15 psi - 202whp 238ftlbs
    92 Aristo - ARC Intake, GReddy FMIC, catback, Mine's ECU, 16 psi - 350whp 320ftlbs

thank you i should be able to figure it out now

heres some build pics of the car
    Attached Images Attached Images      

....and more
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Be sure to place the sensor farther down the exhaust then the stock location.
    1979 tangerine capri, 40k miles, sn95 8.8, spindles, eibach v8 springs, caster camber plates, manual steering and brakes, Lincoln master cylinder, rebuilt 2.3t/t5 from 85 tbird, nothing much!

its 18" down from the turbo. the bung is welded at a 2 o-clock position. that should be the correct placement right?

FEP Member

O2 sensor at 2 oclock should be just fine. Just make sure you have it powered up before you spend much time running the car. They have internal heaters that keep them happy and letting exhaust go by without it on will shorten the life of the sensor (or so they say).
    500+rwhp svo
    My project

Yeah, that's good.
    I saw the stock bung and got worried :-)
    1979 tangerine capri, 40k miles, sn95 8.8, spindles, eibach v8 springs, caster camber plates, manual steering and brakes, Lincoln master cylinder, rebuilt 2.3t/t5 from 85 tbird, nothing much!

thanks daggy i did not know that, the pimp start up directions say ill have to cycle the ignition on and off a few times before actually cranking the car so that should hopefully give the o2 power. ill just check everything with a multimeter to be certain though.

and yeah in2fords do you know if anyone sells the elbow in 3" w/o the bung? i checked stinger but i didnt see an option for the stock bung deleted. i guess ill just have to fab one up

anyway i hope it fires up w/ no issues on e85. i already made the changes to the ecu to let it know the cars running e85.

I asked Stinger and he said no problem if he has to build one anyway, He just hasnt updated his options on it.

Great! I guess I'll have to make an order here soon.

Also any ideas on about how much rwhp I should be making?
    My parts list is: t3/t4 hybrid turbo, open down pipe, coldairintake, k&n, vam eliminated, bov, 80lb high-z injectors, walbro 255lph intank pump, pimp ecu, 20lbs of boost, and e85.

I'm hoping for around 250rwhp

Ill actually be probably be running 17-18lbs of boost until I order a front mount and intake from stinger

FEP Member

Which t3/t4 hybrid are you running? There are several popular ones out there and will make a difference in power.
    500+rwhp svo
    My project

I dont know about that TB.....

I don't know specifics right off the top of my head but I had Charlie at evergreen turbo do the work since I had read pretty good things about him.

And kiwi I have a bbk 75mm tb I'm just waiting until I buy an upper and lower intake from stinger and a front mount so I can do all that together

But realistically what do you think I am looking at power wise?

im gonna go ahead and post some pics on how i wired my wideband to the factory narrowband harness for those who are installing a wideband.