Close

Default Cold Start Question

This is my first and only vehicle with a carburetor, and I would like to ask if something is "normal"...

My carbureted 1985 Mustang will start right up INSTANTLY, with one single pump in the morning, if driven daily. However, I now only drive it every Friday. I have noticed that, in order to start her back up from a week's rest, I have to pump the gas pedal twice, and then it takes about 10 seconds worth of constant cranking to get it to fire off. But once it starts, it then runs PERFECT. I tried 3 pumps once, and all that did was flood the motor.

It works every time...after a week, it likes 2 pumps and 10 seconds to start the engine.

This starting procedure is consistent every single week, and if I happen to drive it again the next day, it's back to a single pump and instant start.

Does that sound normal for a carbureted vehicle that has sit for a week?

Sounds like your carb may have an internal leak. Can you check your fuel bowl(s) for fuel before you start the car after she sits for a week? When you pump the pedal twice, can you verify you're getting two good squirts of fuel? I'm guessing "Yes" if three pumps is flooding the engine, but thought I'd ask anyway.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Sounds normal to me.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I guess my 4-cyl is in better shape than I thought. Doesn't matter how long I let her sit...two - three easy pedal pumps, turn the key, and she starts in less than five seconds.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

My 2.3T has done the same since day one of ownership.
    Disconnected the choke long ago.

The fuel pump has a return line to the fuel tank for several reasons.
    After say a week, the pump has to re pressurize the supply line to the carb.
    A clear inline fuel filter confirmed this. No fuel in filter. Pump is good.

The manual says this minimizes fuel pressure on the float seat when shut off.
    Closing off the pump to return line allows the supply line to remain pressurized.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    My 2.3T has done the same since day one of ownership.
    Disconnected the choke long ago.

The fuel pump has a return line to the fuel tank for several reasons.
    After say a week, the pump has to re pressurize the supply line to the carb.
    A clear inline fuel filter confirmed this. No fuel in filter. Pump is good.

The manual says this minimizes fuel pressure on the float seat when shut off.
    Closing off the pump to return line allows the supply line to remain pressurized.
    My 86 GT has to crank some before firing up on cold starts. I always figured it was some type of return line issue letting the gas back into the tank and depleting the supply line. What I do is cycle the key a few times to get the electric pump whirring a few times to prime the line. This cuts down the crank time. Can anything be done about this otherwise on an EFI car?

Quote Originally Posted by RickFury View Post
    This is my first and only vehicle with a carburetor, and I would like to ask if something is "normal"...

My carbureted 1985 Mustang will start right up INSTANTLY, with one single pump in the morning, if driven daily. However, I now only drive it every Friday. I have noticed that, in order to start her back up from a week's rest, I have to pump the gas pedal twice, and then it takes about 10 seconds worth of constant cranking to get it to fire off. But once it starts, it then runs PERFECT. I tried 3 pumps once, and all that did was flood the motor.

It works every time...after a week, it likes 2 pumps and 10 seconds to start the engine.

This starting procedure is consistent every single week, and if I happen to drive it again the next day, it's back to a single pump and instant start.

My 84 5.0 4V acts the same after sitting for a week, or more. Try cranking 5-10 seconds first, release the key, then pump the accelerator pedal fully 2-3 times, wait a couple of seconds for the fuel to vaporize a little, then crank. This always works for me ... the engine fires and goes right to high idle with no stumble. Cranking first ensures there is enough fuel in the primary bowl before going any further. I can't believe that the bowl is completely evaporating in a week, but I definitely need to fill it a little with a few seconds of cranking before pumping and firing.
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

I haven't had this problem with mine. It can sit for weeks, I get in, press the pedal once, let it sit for a second or two after closing the throttle, and crank. Usually starts up within the first 5 seconds of cranking. Sometimes it'll stall, then I'll retry the start up procedure and it'll start up solid and go into warm up speed.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

Quote Originally Posted by RickFury View Post

Although I'm not running a stock carb or pump, mine does this too....

On mine, it is the Edelbrock mechanical pump that needs cranking to prime.

Next time it's been sitting for a week, pop the air cleaner off and see if any
    fuel squirts out the accelerator pump... I bet the carb is dry.

Normal. Mine does this too.
    1983 Mercury Zephyr Z7 AM Radio, no a/c, 200 3.3l I6, C5 Automatic, Police scanner, 40 Channel Cobra 29LTD CB radio, PA system mounted under bumper

2008 Ford F150 XL 2wd v6, 5 speed.

[QUOTE=HAD85B4;1520284]My 86 GT has to crank some before firing up on cold starts. I always figured it was some type of return line issue letting the gas back into the tank and depleting the supply line. What I do is cycle the key a few times to get the electric pump whirring a few times to prime the line. This cuts down the crank time. Can anything be done about this otherwise on an EFI car?[/QUOTE

My stock 86FI GT simply turn on key hear fuel pump quietly run a couple seconds and it shuts off when fully pressurized. Then it starts very quickly. You don't want to mess with the manual idle screw on these cars without following the written procedure for doing so. I know all my settings are factory. Starts and runs perfectly like new.
    86 GT Conv. Stock White "Shamu" - Sold 2014 @ 134k
    84 5.0 LX Conv. Canyon Red - Sold to collector 2010
    82 GT Coupe Black - Full body Stk Race Car - Sold 2003
    87 GT Conv. Wife's Stock Poppy Red - Sold 2002