Close

Thread: need carb help

Default need carb help

I have a 84 gt350 5.0-5sp showing 112,000 miles and original including the holley 4180-4v. This car is a bear to start cold, it doesn't want to. I press the gas pedal all the way down to set the choke and then hit the key. The motor turns over quickly and will not fire until I pump the gas two-three times, then it will fire for a second or two the quit. I have to repeat this 7-8 times until it fires and I can manage to get it running above two thousand rpms as long as I hold my foot on the gas, eventually it gets warm enough to idle on its own. This is a california car and has had the carburetor rebuilt professionally at least once. I have replaced egr valve all gaskets on heatshield, carb, and spacer in the correct order, checked all the vacuum lines and hoses and made sure the carb is snugged down to the manifold. I'm thinking choke but I,m not sure where to go from here. Any help will be appreciated.

Yep, sounds like you covered all the other bases. Make sure the choke is working properly and/or not sticking. If you haven't done so, spray some carb/choke cleaner into and around the carb, while the engine is running, to clean it up.

Go easy with the spray. You want to keep the engine running and NOT catch fire due to the carb cleaner spraying on warm / hot engine parts. Have a fire extinquisher handy, too, just in case.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

is the choke staying open?

cale

Before starting the engine cold, pull the air cleaner lid and observe the choke blade. It should
    be more or less open from the last time the engine was warmed up, until you operate the
    throttle. Then it should snap completely closed, and stay that way until the engine starts and
    the unloader cracks it open a bit.

Check to make sure the choke cover hasn't been "leaned out" to correct for some other
    problem.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Are you familiar with how to check your float levels?

Do you have a nice steady stream of fuel from the accelerator pump discharge nozzles when you open the throttle?

Is your ignition timing retarted too far?

Have a friend start the car while you hold the choke plate partially closed and see how the car reacts when you move the choke plate to different positions.

How long has it been since the carb was rebuilt? I've solved many problems by just rebuilding the carb with a Holley rebuild kit and eliminating all potential internal problems.
    Last edited by 854vragtop; 03-14-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

Thanks for your input. I'll be working on the car this weekend and hopefully have some good results to report next week, Thanks again