Close

Default Help Needed Carb? Distriutor? Coil? I don't know what the issue is

Hello Everyone this is my first post I am new to the mustang family and this is my first carbureted car. I purchased this car about 2 months back its an 84 mustang gt 4bbl. On cold starts my car starts up no issues but after driving it and turning it off the car wont start until it has cooled down or unless i loosen the distributor and start advancing or retarding it. I moved the coil because it was sitting on top next to the carbureter from where the previous owner placed it. im guessing its wither the carbureter or the distributor any help will be appreciated thanks guys.

Is it turning over hard? or is it spinning freely but not firing?

its spinning freely but not firing because all i have to do is mess with the distributor and it fires right up. i read somewhere that it might be the carb, in that the gasoline is turning into a vapor state and clogging it up therefore having to wait for the vapors to dissipate?

Let's start with some basics. Is this engine completely stock? Or if not, what mods have
    been done?

Hot starts on a carbureted engine are somewhat different than with a fuel injected engine.
    The proper procedure for hot starts, presuming things are working as they should, is to
    crack the throttle open about 1/4 to 1/3, then crank.

BTW, Ford originally put the ignition coil on top of the intake, on the passenger side just
    forward of the carburetor. I have never found a need to move one.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

The only mods the car has are aftermarket mac headers, msd rotor cap, msd blaster 2 coil and the carb is a 650 double pumper. The reson i moved the coil is because i was told if it gets too hot than it wont start.

anyone?

Be patient. We can't see your setup and you just asked about this yesterday.

When you say, "all i have to do is mess with the distributor and it fires right up" what does that mean?

What are you doing with the distributor? Are you able to rotate the distributor by hand without loosening the holddown bolt? More information on what you're doing to start the engine please.

If you're able to turn the distributor by hand WITHOUT loosening the holddown bolt, THAT is your problem, so I'll address that issue now. Adjust your distributor so the engine runs. Make sure the timing is correctly set. Tighten the holddown bolt.

Report back on that and we'll go from there.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Blog Entries

Also, you said you moved the coil. Did you have this problem before you moved the coil? It could be you disturbed already tender wiring on the coil by moving it, and that could be the problem. Also the coil needs a ground to function. That could be it. One other thing- Ford distributors were known for the connector plug for the distributor harness to fail or get a bad connection, or the wiring itself to fail at the distributor itself. Moving the distributor could be wiggling the wires enough to make a connection, so it will fire up. Post some pictures if you can- we can tell a lot from a picture or two.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Have you tried using the proper hot-start procedure I gave in post #4?

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    Also the coil needs a ground to function. That could be it.
    Just to clarify this, the coil grounds through the primary side of the ignition system, through the
    Duraspark module. The Duraspark module, in turn, grounds to the distributor body, through the
    harness to the pickup coil.

There is no connection required to the coil's outer can.
    Last edited by JACook; 03-15-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune