Close

New User

Default 1983 GT 5 speed clutch switch?

I cannot find a clutch safety switch on this thing anywhere. I get no power at the start terminal on the solenoid when the key is turned and see no broken wires. I've looked up around the quadrant, the trans tunnel(interior and under car). I'm hopefully going to be able to test continuity from the plug at the column to the connector on the pork chop support, that is if it is dry which it appears to gonna be this evening.

FEP Senior Member

You can not find it because it does not exist on an 83. If you have no breaks in the tunnel(there should be a looped wire in the harness) and there is no power to the red wire with a blue stripe at the solenoid then it sounds like a bad ignition switch.
    1986 Notchback, Recently repainted Light Regatta Blue(3J) and getting put back the way it should be. It had a 3.8 and a C5. Now it has a 5.0 and a T5.

New User

It's got power at the terminal on the column when "cranking." You're saying I should be able to find a loop in the console area? That's way cool. Thanks! I'll check that tonight as well. I just found it hard to believe a late model like that didn't have a safety switch but the old parts guy at Ford said he couldn't find a listing and thought he remembered 84 being the first year for the switch.

FEP Senior Member

Under the car is a plug that looks like a Duraspark module plug. It has 4 wires in it. 2 go to the backup lights and 2 go to the start circuit. The 2 that go to the start circuit are just a loop to complete the circuit. If your car had been an automatic this would be the neutral switch on the transmission selector. Lots of time this harness will get on the exhaust and burn.
    1986 Notchback, Recently repainted Light Regatta Blue(3J) and getting put back the way it should be. It had a 3.8 and a C5. Now it has a 5.0 and a T5.

New User

Domino, your knowledge and willingness to share is just awesome!

Blog Entries

This is what makes me look at the tech inspector at the drags, smile, and lie. "yep, the neutral safety works!" No provisions on an '83 for one.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    This is what makes me look at the tech inspector at the drags, smile, and lie. "yep, the neutral safety works!" No provisions on an '83 for one.
    My brother (Hissing Cobra) and I got hassled at NED for no neutral safety switches. We both finally got sick of it and finally installed them in our cars. They always check ours to see if they work.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

Blog Entries

I had the same guy when I went- I have only been a couple of times so far. I told him '83s had no switch, and he said, " yeah, I know. So yours works, RIGHT?" and smiled. I said "Yep!" and he let me go.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

New User

I finally had cooperative weather and blew off the 68 Camaro reassembly to mess with the 83.I jumpered the terminal at the transmission and the solenoid is now trying to turn it over or at least groan. I ran out of daylight so Saturday I'll finish checking for voltage drop. THANKS!!!!!

Same deal, at NED they always check mine, that's the reason I have not brought the Capri there was because I knew I would fail tech. The top part of the clutch pedal does not even have the boss or tip w/e for the nss stud to bolt to.

If the wiring is there already I would really like to know where it is as I have collected a newer pedal box and switch etc from a newer car.

I hope you can find the short in your wiring Mr cyclops.
    Current buggies

83 Mercury capri Crimson int, 331, TKO
    91 Camaro
    85 Full size Bronco
    00 Buell Cyclone
    76 FX
    86 Yamaha TRI-Z 250
    75 OSSA Super pioneer
    02 CR250

New User

Somehow the factory jumper wire under the car was cut short enough I could barely solder the new jumper wire on but I managed to do it. I'll reinstall the reverse light pigtail this weekend and try again to start it.

Unhappy woops

One time I reached in and turned car over. There was some guys standing in front of it. = woops sorry my bad. how embarassing, no one got hurt, just the poop scared out of all. Boy that 83 sure can jump!!
    Edel Perf intake & 600cfm carb & 6037 heads, non-roll eng 9.3comp,alignhone/torqueplate bore/balanced,cm filefit rings,recon rods&caps,10under crank,Clevite bearings&KB pistons,CompCam:dur 224I/224E@.050 lift/110,Crane alum1:6 RR,new8.8-373s.Granatelli upp/low cont arms,KYB adj.shocks,4 point K-member brace,B springs&ft cont.Arms,struttower brace,1 5/8 headers,weld subframe connectors.,10.5 clutch&flywheel,T-5Z/PRO5.0 shift.Canton7qt pan,bal shaft-Spicer u-joints.welded boxes.alum rad.MSD6AL&dizzy,17" Rs.276RWHP

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 306gt View Post
    My brother (Hissing Cobra) and I got hassled at NED for no neutral safety switches. We both finally got sick of it and finally installed them in our cars. They always check ours to see if they work.
    Thats BS that they can fail you for not having something the car was never factory equipped with. I have raced at at least 13 different dragstrips up and down the West coast since the early 70`s, including NHRA divisional and National events & ET Finals, and I have never been told that I needed to add a clutch pedal switch on any of my stickshift cars.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfairmont View Post
    Thats BS that they can fail you for not having something the car was never factory equipped with. I have raced at at least 13 different dragstrips up and down the West coast since the early 70`s, including NHRA divisional and National events & ET Finals, and I have never been told that I needed to add a clutch pedal switch on any of my stickshift cars.
    I know it is BS but and I agree with you. But I didn't like to get hassled about it. The tech inspectors up here are sometimes teenagers and really don't know how to tech in a car. After thinking about the safety aspect of it, I just decided to install it. It wasn't hard to do. I just installed the late fox body switch to the pedals and cut the ignition wire from the column going to the solenoid and scabbed the switch in between it. Now we don't get hassled anymore.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

I had searched for quite a while under my dash for the neutral safety switch before I realized my '83 doesn't have one.
    1983 5.0 GT convertible. Restored 2011 - 2014

Quote Originally Posted by mcfairmont View Post
    I had to add a pedal with switch to my car last year.
    Had to do a couple other stupid things too.
    Like add an alluminum shield to my fuel sump because they consider it a fuel cell.
    Oh well it's their ball park, they make the rules.
    '79 cobra/357w/toploader etc etc etc
    2013 foureyedfox calendar...Ms. February and cover!
    Best 12.6@110 w/2.0 60'

"Junk Car" before/after
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...70#post1476670