Close

Default Question on cruise control location of ASC Capri Coupe

Hi,

I was hoping the ASC McLaren guys might be able to shed some light on a question that I've got. I've got an 85 Capri GS 5.0 with cruise. I'm going to put on an ASC 3 spoke steering wheel and center cap that I just bought. I will obviously loose my cruise on the steering wheel, but wasn't sure given how loaded these Capri's were if the cruise was originally in another location in the ASC Capri coupes. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Tom
    Tom T.

My '86 Coupe has cruise and it uses the 2 spoke steering wheel with the cruise.

Default Cruise control question.

Thanks, that helps me a lot. I'm just stuck on the look and feel of the 3 spoke wheel. They are very nice and comfortable to use. Sounds like I'll have to get creative or have an aftermarket cruise installed in it on the side of the column.

Thanks, Tom
    Tom T.

I have seen a person that relocated the cruise switches to center console. They put the switches into the ash tray.

I believe it was on FEP. Might find it in a search.

jeremy

FEP Power Member

Didn't the Saleen cars have the cruise controls on a stalk? Could you use something like that?

FEP Power Member

Try leather wrapping on the two spoke wheel. Should be doable for $300.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Neither here nor there

You could try this possibly, I have one, but never installed it yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120972310781

Here is the thread with some talk, which I will bump to see if Mike tried it yet.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=137190

That is very tempting to buy that stalk. I like that. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Tom T.

That stalk is the same thing Ford sold through their accessories catalog back in the day. Back then if you wanted to add cruise a stalk like that could be installed by the dealership. I think thats going to be your best bet if you want to keep the cruise, and the factory look.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Thumbs up Cruise control question.

So I was gonna wait, but for the money I thought why not buy it now and have it in case it is not available later. Thanks again guys. I think that is exactly what I'm looking for. I never knew they made them.

I bit the bullet and shelled out big dough on a NOS ASC steering wheel and horn pad from Henry's site. I felt that it was worth it as I've wanted it for over 10 years now. I bought a good tilt column and covers off an 86 for my 85 this week too. It's all hopefully coming together.
    Tom T.

Neither here nor there

Well if you install it before us, update that other thread please LOL

I just received my stalk in the mail. I'm impressed. I looks to be great quality and will replace my faded turn signal stalk when I install the replacement tilt column. I never would have known about this had you guys not shown me. Thanks!
    Tom T.

I don't blame you. The stock cruise wheel is very ugly.
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

Quote Originally Posted by 86asccoupe20 View Post
    I don't blame you. The stock cruise wheel is very ugly.
    I would have to agree. I prefer the 3 spoke non-cruise wheel as well but I won't change mine.

I swapped out my cruse wheel for the 3 spoke SVO wheel, then I swapped the SVO horn pad for a Ford Motorsport unit. I am very happy with the look and feel of the SVO wheel, and I don't miss the cruse one bit. I barely used it anyway.

That ASC wheel couldn't have been cheap, especially in NOS form, but it is an awesome wheel. I would love to see some pics when you have everything installed.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear86 View Post
    I swapped out my cruse wheel for the 3 spoke SVO wheel, then I swapped the SVO horn pad for a Ford Motorsport unit. I am very happy with the look and feel of the SVO wheel, and I don't miss the cruse one bit. I barely used it anyway.

That ASC wheel couldn't have been cheap, especially in NOS form, but it is an awesome wheel. I would love to see some pics when you have everything installed.

Ya, your not kidding about the price! I can't believe I paid the money I did for it. The only way I justified it was cleaning out my basement and garage of some duplicate parts and used the proceeds to fund the ASC 3 spoke steering wheel, 5.0 SC horn pad, & ASC head light covers. I got the OK from the boss before I did it and all is good. I will be sure to show it all together when it is done with some pictures. I figure now is the time to get a hold of this rare stuff as it is not getting any cheaper.

I can't say I've ever seen a motorsport horn pad. Is it leather wrapped to match the SVO wheel? Sounds awesome.
    Tom T.

very cool. If you bought rear covers you may want to check if the holes line up I did hear of a horror story of new rear covers and fresh painted car and had to replace rear bumper cover and repaint

Quote Originally Posted by plumkrazy View Post
    very cool. If you bought rear covers you may want to check if the holes line up I did hear of a horror story of new rear covers and fresh painted car and had to replace rear bumper cover and repaint
    Thanks for the info, but that is something I don't have to worry about now. I sold my bouble hatch to a member on here almost 10 years ago. Mine will have SVO tail lights and an 85-86 Mustang rear bumper on it when it is finished. just not a big bubble fan for my own car anyways. Never have been. That's what I liked so much about my 82 RS was the rear end and the hood scoop. Now I've got them both on my 85.

Thanks,
    Tom T.