Close

FEP Supporter

Default Greetings from an 82 owner in Calgary!

My fox experience actually started with my first car in 1987 which was an 81 coupe with an I-6. It was a great little car until it was stolen for the Alpine cassette deck (that was the iPod of the 80's for you youngsters). Anyways, the punks that stole it, burnt it that night on the outskirts of the city.

My next car was an '85 T-Bird Turbo-Coupe. That was an awesome car! Too bad it got totalled in a wreck in the summer of 90.

When I had my 81, I knew of the GT's and now I had the opportunity to search for one. I found my current 82 GT and bought it in the early fall of 90 from the original owner. It had a pearl black paint job, wire rims with fake knock offs and winter tires. Over the next few years I had quite a bit done to it.
    -Ronal five spokes-the ones in my avatar (I already sold them on Kijiji a couple of weeks ago) and Goodyear Gatorbacks for summer (the old rims worked perfect for winter).
    -A set of rear louvers a buddy sold me off his wrecked Capri
    -Complete rebuild with cam, performer rpm intake, ported heads, Carter 4 barrel, T4 rebuild and 4.10 rear gears (not by me)
    -Koni red adjustables all around
    -driver floor repairs and weld in sub-frame connectors
    -misc other stuff: springs, bushings etc.
    -A complete paint job happened in 92 after a stray hub cap caught me in the driver side and went most of the way to the back corner. With the pearl paint it had it was too hard to match so I went through a friend of a friend (man I wish I had the money to do it all over again). It didn't turn out the best but...

This was my all-year daily driver until around 95 when I started storing it for the winter. It was the summer of 2001 when the gears for the traction-loc busted. The car has sat in my garage until the fall of 2012. With growing kids and a never ending list of other things on the priority list, it just sat, being started twice a year until a couple ago when I couldn't get it going.

My oldest son turned 15 last year and asked me when I was ever going to do anything with it because he remembers riding in it as a toddler and one day he would like to drive it (maybe I'll let him someday). This got me thinking about it so I had it towed over to a shop to see about rebuilding the 7.5 (not recommended) and recommissioning the motor. Well, I might as well have just bent over and taken it up the a** for what they want to do the work. I never really delved to much into the more complex stuff other than bolt on stuff and that now brings me here.

So I have now started accumulating parts and have started down a path where there is no going back. To list a few so far:
    For the rear:
    -purchased a rebuilt 8.8 with 3.73, shortened factory five Moser axles and Cobra disk set up (purchased through MPS auto salvage in Georgia and shipped to the nearest border town for pick up). It looks good although I will inspect it closer when I install it. This was a cheaper and more convenient option than locating a core and having to build it up.
    -MM adjustable lower rear control arms
    -Ford racing equivalent rear upper control arms
    -Ford Racing lowering springs

For the front so far:
    -95 front spindles from a wrecked GT
    -calipers and rotors from a 2003 Mach 1 (Cobra style)
    -new ball joints, front control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, new sway bar links
    -remanufactured 15:1 steering rack and urethane bushings (20:1 are apparently obsolete) and power steering pump (Cardone)
    -Ford racing lowering springs
    -MM caster/camber plates

And other stuff so far:
    -17X8 black chrome Bullits with Nitto rubber
    -master restorers T-Top weatherstrip kit

The engine runs and appears still good and strong having been rebuilt in 93. It has at the most 20k miles on it since then. I have already started by removing the water pump and I am in the process of removing the front cover to replace the timing chain and I'll probably try one of those Quick Fuel carbs when I'm ready to go!

There is a long way to go yet without even really thinking about the MC and brake crap yet. I am really glad I have started this project and I am glad that I have decided to do most of it myself.

Never once over the years did I think of selling this car (although I'm sure my wife did). The interior is near mint and the exterior is very straight and very rust free for its age and schlepping thought a number of winters in its life. The buck tags are still intact even.

So there you have it up until now. It's going to be expensive I'm sure and take a while but I hope to have it at least drivable by the end of the summer (yes 2013). Maybe bodywork and paint will be in the future next year.

I think my wife might be happy to get her garage spot back after so many years even though she hasn't seen much of me on my days off lately!

I'm new to these forum things other than trolling, but I'll figure how to upload some pics in the future.

Thanks to everyone in advance for I'm sure some dumb questions coming your way and for all of the info I have already gained

Cheers!

Darran in Cowtown.

Edit: Shout out to Joel and especially Matt at The Mustang Shop here in Calgary for their help so far! Fantastic knowledge base!: http://www.themustangshop.ca/
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 03-03-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Well, hello form the eastcoast,we need pics
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

Welcome to FEP!! A lot of good info on this site. Any pic's?
    Mike

84 Mustang GT Turbo Vert
    86 Mustang GT T-Top
    95 Mustang GT Vert
    05 Mustang GT

FEP Supporter

Default ...and on the second day, there were some pictures

Here are some pics then!!

Poor lighting in the garage made some grainy but....

Welcome to FEP. Very nice project. You might want to copy some of this info into a "Build Thread" to show off your progress.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version