Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Pace car build

This build thread is a "Best Of" representation of the original thread @ http://www.tcstangs.com/forum/showth...e-in-driveline. The original is entertaining.

I started a project on my wifes Pace Car in October to remove the 2.3L Turbo motor & 4 speed & replace it with a carbed 94 Roller motor & W/C T5. Should be an interesting adventure given my limited experience in this sort of thing. Although I've seen some cobbled together builds and I can only hope that I can do better than that Plans are to install GT40P heads, E303 Cam & Edelbrock airgap or similar to the 302 and get 250 - 265 RWHP. T5 will be a nice upgrade on this car as well because anyone who has driven one of these old 4 speeds knows, the gearing leaves a lot to be desired. I am pondering adding an 8.8" rear end as well. Anyone that has any parts that I may need, please feel free to P/M me as I will have a long list of crap to aquire. Here are the beginning pics.

The Car

The old motor

The New motor (Looks older than the old one )

The W/C T5
    Last edited by forgotn; 04-11-2015 at 08:23 PM.

Picked up some more parts. Need to get the old motor and tranny out and start working on getting the new stuff ready.

New March Performance Alternator & Power Steering brackets. :fork:

GT40P heads will need some new springs for the CAM upgrade. :shame:

Last edited by forgotn; 12-17-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Made some progress tonight. Old tranny out and disconnecting parts for the pulling of the motor. So far I have not been able to get the exhaust pipe off of the manifold or the downpipe off of the turbo. I can see the bolts but I'm not able to access them. My original plan was to pull the motor and tranny out as one unit but I wound up pulling the tranny and leaving the bell housing anyway. The bell housing will need to stay attached to the motor as there is too much turbo junk in the way to access the tranny bolts on the top drivers side of the motor. :wall:

]
    Last edited by forgotn; 12-17-2014 at 12:24 PM.

Motor is out and now it's cleaning time for the engine bay. Managed to save the vacuum lines and wiring and keep it in place on the motor. Now I just need someone to buy it and make some room in my garage. :nod:

Had to leave the bell housing on and the exhaust due to bolt access issues.

The engine bay is surprisingly clean considering the last time the motor was out was 1992. Course there was only about 13xxx miles put on the car after that and it was stored inside until the last year of it's previous ownership.

Teeny Tiny little turbo hidden in the back.

Last edited by forgotn; 12-17-2014 at 12:26 PM.

I had a little setback today when I discovered this when I pulled the heads off of the motor for this project. I am now looking for a different rotating assembly for this build.

Last edited by forgotn; 12-25-2014 at 11:41 AM.

That e cam isn't the most powerful, but I loved it with my gt40p's... I think that's truely one of the best sounding cams. ever.
    But then again that's just my opinion!
    Good luck!

I think it may have sat too close to the garage door with the upper intake off. Looks like moisture got in a couple cylinders that the valves were still open on. No way to tell until I pulled the heads. I cleaned the cylinders out but there is some pitting left over.

Last edited by forgotn; 12-17-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Stuff came today! New valve springs and seals are installed already and the New E-cam will go into whatever block I decide to stick with.

I think I've decided to move on from this block into a fresh rebuilt shortblock from LMR. They are reasonable for price and free shipping :fork:
    http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ng-Short-Block

Many other parts are on my wish list though including an 8.8 rear end, gt front spindles so I can run better calipers, new master cylinder and booster, and brake lines. Lots of other nickel & dime crap will be needed in the meantime. :spend:
    Last edited by forgotn; 12-17-2014 at 01:01 PM.

As a side note, the guy who bought the 2.3 turbo from this car sent me an e-mail with pictures of what the motor looks like now. Pretty impressive I though! :nod:

Last edited by forgotn; 12-17-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Some new stuff today for the build. A fresh rebuilt 306 and some other crap to stick on it. Now if it wasn't -50 in my garage I could get some painting done and do the Cam and heads. Anyone have a cheap propane heater?

Last edited by forgotn; 12-17-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Got some painting done today. Should be getting the CAM, Oil pump, Oil Pan, Timing chain, front cover and heads in tomorrow afternoon. With any luck if I'm real motivated I will get the water pump and push rods in as well. Before you all post about it, it is NOT Chevy Orange, it is actually a bright red to match the car. Just looks orange with the camera on my phone.

Last edited by forgotn; 12-25-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Got a little more done this weekend. CAM & lifters are in as well as the oil pump. Waiting now for a Cam bolt & Crank bolt in the mail. Can someonw please explain why to do not get a new Cam bolt with a new cam or new timing chain? Maybe they should send a crank bolt accompanying the balancer also? I don't understand. Pulled the driver seat out of the car in order to better access the brake booster nuts and removed the master cylinder and brake booster for replacement. The master cylinder had been leaking fluid down the front of the booster for some time and the M/C was filled with muddy black crap where the push rod enters. I've been having re-occuring issues with the brakes and I believe I may have found the problem. When I removed the driver seat the nuts were really rusty. There is a tear in the floor pan that is approximitely 5" and resides directly under the seat. I'm guessing the driving in the rain probably got the carpet wet and caused most of this issue because when I removed the seat, the carpet was rusted to the seat track and rotted where the bolts were. Now I have 4 small holes in the carpet where the seat was mounted. The carpet is in otherwise perfect shape but now it appears that I will have to do a carpet replacement project in the future. I will be installing Mustang GT front and rear springs and new shocks before it hits the road again. Need it to warm up so I don't get choked out by karosene fumes. Orders some Ford Racing GT40P Specific shorty headers an Edelbrock RPM Airgap intake. Intake is on backorder through Summit :confused2: I was so shocked that I almost spent the extra cash to get the NASCAR version of this same intake. It is pretty cool looking but the money is needed elsewhere. :fork:

The Brake booster was not looking good and had bubbled up where the master cylinder mates to it.

The master cylinder obviously has issues. Now it's in the trash.

Heads are installed along with the pushrods, lifters and rockers. The Headers are mounted. The plug angle on the GT40P's IS a real pain. These are the GT40P specific FRP shorty headers.

I bought a Ford racing kit from Late Model Restoration that included the Oil Pan, Dip Stick, Front Cover, Water Pump, and Balancer. Unfortunitely the front cover is for a mechanical fuel pump and a standard rotation water pump for a 1979 - 1985. The water pump that came with the kit is the EFI reverse rotating unit and is correct for my application but now I have to wait for a new front cover and a set of bolts and studs for mounting it. Hopefully they will just exchange the timing cover and not make me return the entire kit.
    Last edited by forgotn; 12-25-2014 at 11:45 AM.

More progress this evening and still need to get more crap.

Last edited by forgotn; 12-25-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Love this car! Can't wait to see it at Apple Valley again. Get it done!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Love this car! Can't wait to see it at Apple Valley again. Get it done!
    Hoping to get it done before the Tenvoorde Ford Mustang Cruise. My car is ready to rock but this one needs a lot more stuff and some engine bay wiring clean-up. Hope to get it to the dyno and have it tuned by that time as well. If it goes together and doesn't give me any problems you'll see it out a lot I'm sure. AVF All ford Show, Carcraft, Duluth Cruise, Wi Dells cruise ect. We want to make this the "relyable" car as mine always has surprises for me it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by forgotn View Post
    Hoping to get it done before the Tenvoorde Ford Mustang Cruise. My car is ready to rock but this one needs a lot more stuff and some engine bay wiring clean-up. Hope to get it to the dyno and have it tuned by that time as well. If it goes together and doesn't give me any problems you'll see it out a lot I'm sure. AVF All ford Show, Carcraft, Duluth Cruise, Wi Dells cruise ect. We want to make this the "relyable" car as mine always has surprises for me it seems.
    Awesome. I'd love to hit the Duluth Cruise this year too.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Looking at the other build threads on here I see that there is a lot of talent here. My crappy little build probably should not be on here. Nice work everyone!!

You're keeping a classic on the road, and it's in awesome shape, even if it's not all-original.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Very nice car cant wait to see it done

The 84 GT Overhaul thread is awesome. Love the color! I'll try to make up for in pictures what I lack in know how. This car has it's issues but I have to say by reading through some of the other build threads, I was lucky to get one this old that is not rotted to pieces. The original owner of this car had it undercoated in 1980 so it looks pretty clean for it's age. There are a couple of small rust holes and some bubbling on the A posts and above the door glass on the roof from what appears to have been a bike rack that was mounted to this car at one point. Paint and body work will come in a couple of years but my wife would like to stick with the color scheme that it has at this time. She really wants to get those running ponies on the side though. Still trying to talk her out of that one. I still have the original fog lights, wheels, radio, amp, and pull knob for the amp. Badges are there also. I believe that the fog lights will be going back on because we like that look to the front end. The original owner kept all the items he removed when he restored it in 1992. I need to get a hoist so I can clean the underneath well. At this point I'm rolling around on a cold garage floor trying to get it buttoned up before spring.
    Last edited by forgotn; 03-05-2013 at 09:38 AM.

It's like a really expensive Christmas around here these days.

Last edited by forgotn; 12-17-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Finally got the front cover mounted after 2 try's. Gasket slipped the first time so I had to pull it all apart and re-do. Starting to clean the engine compartment and get rid of some of the old un-used wiring. Getting much closer to getting the engine and tranny put back in. Still have to run some fuel line and get the electric fuel pump mounted. Seemed like it would be a quicker project in my mind but nothing ever goes according to plans.

Looking good !! are u gona repaint engine compartment before u install new engine
    81 t-top cpe
    84 Gt
    85 Gt
    80 CJ-7
    06 Harley
    06 F250 FX4

Quote Originally Posted by 4ID-GUY View Post
    Looking good !! are u gona repaint engine compartment before u install new engine
    I would like to but I do not have the appropriate resources to get it done this time around. The engine compartment does not look bad, but it is not as clean as it could be if I had the tools for it. Getting it on the road for this season is my priority at this point.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast