Close

Default Best turbo for 3.8?

Hey there!
    I have an 83 GLX Convertible with a 3.8. For the most part, I'm keeping it stock, just cleaning it up (paint, upholstery, maintenance, etc.) But I do want a pinch more "oomph" under the hood. Does anyone have suggestions for the best turbos (or best way to do turbos) on a 3.8?
    Below is an under-the-hood pic as of now...

You'll get the help here you need, but you will have to do other reading in other forums to add to your knowledge.

All turbo guys seam to rip off the power options and then go hard with intercoolers, big turbos and then a good fuel delivery system, which is often carbed. The Zakspeed 1981-1983 Capri 2.8 Turbo was a very simple car with stock carb and just one turbo, and I think you should go DGAS 38, run a TO4 and a passenger side turbo with some later ancillary drive.

See the famous Lincs 200 13.5 second 1984 Mustang with 83 X code 3.3 conversion to see how simple it can be. One 92 hp six and one 20 psi turbo boost killed the old girl, but it shows you what you can do.

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24859

See the factory German Capri 2.8 and also the 3.0 60 degree Essex turbo V6 conversions listed in the following post to get an idea of how simple a Cologne and British Essex style carb conversion can be.

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=69602

Ford Sixes and V6's use all the space savings with awkard bumps and hollows which make turbo conversions a lot more difficult than you might realise. The stock Sanden a/c and p/s and alt/air pump and the differences between the various 3.8 Ford engines make a turbo a little bit harder than it should. Talk at once with our leading lights of Essex V6 modifiction, they will help you out. plstktnkr2 is a good start.

You need to get some turbo forum expertise, but there are a few ways to cut a numbers match upgrade without putting a factory Convert to the scalpal. But the battery will have to go back, the front washer bootle and recovery will have to copy the later Modular V8 radiator mounted item, and then if you want ps/a/c and air pump, you'll have a hard time packaging it all.

Option 1 Buick GN X or Syclone style replacement turbo, and convert to later port 3.8 EFI. The Essex 232 is not a cut down 302, but very odd Buick 231 rip off just like the 351C is a moused over Chevy 396 built on a low deck 351 Windsor jig. Ford put a lot of work from 1982 to 2005 on those 3.8 and 4.2 engines, and you need to consider if a removal of the stock item to replace at a latter stage, and adding a 4.2 might be a better option.

Turbos are a lot of work, but at the paltry weight of a 3.8 is just a fraction up on the 2.3 and with the right accessory drive, with the space around the engine, you can get killer performance for a steal. You won't pass an inspection in some states, and need to consider if your up for the technical side. It requires very good fabrication skills and application to do well.

Option 2, If you do it with your stock block, you'll might be better doing a drift style 240 SX style turbo, but run it in duplicate as a twin turbo and have two up draft VG30E throttle body CFI and get a megasquirt to run it. I have a friend who has a world class drift S series Nissan, and the upper TBI turbo is good for 360 hp with just one Z24 tbi unit.

The old TBI systems work really well on turbos if mounted upstream, but you have to custom build it, and make sure the turbos are able to handle fuel through the turbine seals.

Option 3, is to rear mount the battery, ditch 83 the washer and coolant recovery and go typical Ford 351 twin turbo with a nice big 650 double pumper 4-bbl on one of our members 4-bbl intakes and have the carb boost referenced. Two small turbos will work real nice on that. You need to do a search on some of the best American 302 and 351 Windsor carb turbo conversions.

How about a 3.8 Supercoupe Eaton setup?
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Thanks for all the info! This is great! I shall get to studying!

Glad to hear it. There WILL be a test on Friday. And, since no one else has said it, "Welcome to FEP."

Progress pictures would be nice to see, too.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

This 3.8 turbo build may be useful;

http://www.theturboforums.com/thread...-a-3-8-Ford-V6

Check out the site too. Lots of info there.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

A Holset HY35 would probably be about the right size for a stock motor and you can pick them up easily and rather cheaply. If your looking for a little more then maybe check out a HX35 or perhaps a pair of IHIs off of 87/88 turbo coupes.

The problem with 3.8 turbos is that you have to figure out all the plumbing yourself but it isn't that difficult if you have some mechanical ability.

Blake

This person has a 3.8 turbo kit for sale. Buying something already made could save you a lot of time.

http://www.theturboforums.com/thread...x-chassis-2000

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

If it were mine, I'd pull the stock motor out and keep it in the corner...

Then get an engine/supercharger/harness/CPU from a T-bird SC / Cougar XR7

That stock V6 of yours won't take much boost before it breaks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    If it were mine, I'd pull the stock motor out and keep it in the corner...

Then get an engine/supercharger/harness/CPU from a T-bird SC / Cougar XR7

That stock V6 of yours won't take much boost before it breaks!
    Yep. And you cannot beat the coolness factor of a blower.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.