Close

Default non fox suspension advice?

I know a lot of you guys know suspension systems extremely well and I really dont have anywhere else to inqure about this.

I want to lower my 92 tempo GLS clone V6 5 speed tempo. Ive had it lowered before on springs I had custom wound for my old 92 GLS since you cant buy any aftermarket springs for the car, but it was hit extremely hard and caused one to break. I would like to drop the new project back down. My old one was on a 2" drop with a 20% springrate increase. It never bottomed out on me, and handled better then factory, ride was not to bad. The issue isnt getting the springs, its more with geometry.

I have caster camber plates for it also, not the greatest design but better then nothing. Im looking to go just a hair lower this time. the biggest issue I had before though BUMP STEER, BAAAAD BUMP STEER. The thing was all over the road. What I thought about doing is reverse mounting the tie rods on the bottom of the knuckle instead of the top, which would drop the tie rod about 2" and should get it even again. Im not sure if its safe or not though, I would have to drill the knuckle through the same diameter all the way through, im not sure if this would cause issues.

The other issue is struts, the only ones available are stock replacements, I can get the gabriel ultras, monroe sensatracs, or kyb GR2's. I know non of these are good options but I have to work with what i can get. any input or advice would be appreciated. Its a quick car and I have had a lot of fun with it, escpecially after putting the 5 speed in, but while its apart to be painted, I want to take care of it all and roll it out of the garage how I want it to be. HTe pic is obviously the old 92 GLS. Besides the stance, wheels, color matched side pillars and mirrors and tinted taillights the car was stock. Oh and obviously the emblems were shaved. the new one probably wont have the side pillars painted though. They will be black.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chrome_Rush; 03-16-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    2013 Focus ST3 2.0 turbo 6 speed

85 LTD, 90k miles, 3.8/c5,For sale... Or restomod if it doesn't sell

87 Conquest TSI widebody 2.6 Turbo/5speed, also maybe for sale

94 Tempo 3.0v6/5speed 92 GLS clone project

90 gmc sierra 2wd short box. 73k showroom condition, fender flares, 31" BFG All terrain. 350ci 4.10 gear

I'm a little surprised nobody has any input on this. The tie rod flip is really what in most unsure about. I can't be the first to think about this. I know a lot of guys do it for lifted vehicles for better angle. I know the car isn't everyone's cup of tea but its a quick little car parts are super cheap and insurance is next to nothing. Makes a great dd
    2013 Focus ST3 2.0 turbo 6 speed

85 LTD, 90k miles, 3.8/c5,For sale... Or restomod if it doesn't sell

87 Conquest TSI widebody 2.6 Turbo/5speed, also maybe for sale

94 Tempo 3.0v6/5speed 92 GLS clone project

90 gmc sierra 2wd short box. 73k showroom condition, fender flares, 31" BFG All terrain. 350ci 4.10 gear

FEP Senior Member

I would take the spindle to a real machine shop, one with a manual lathe, they can mic the current diameter and angle of where the tierods attach, the drill it out and make a sleeve to slide in from the bottom to "fill" it out.
    1986 Saleen #26 - Saugus Pace Car
    1988 Range Rover Classic - The Shop Truck

FEP Senior Member

GR2's will be your best bet, or look in the kyb book, get the exact dimensions (height, threads, rate, length open/closed) and compare it to other vehicles.
    1986 Saleen #26 - Saugus Pace Car
    1988 Range Rover Classic - The Shop Truck