Problem is most of the people commenting on how to assemble this project are over thinking and over engineering this. The ZF is going to cost you $17k sure it has the correct bolt pattern to bolt up to a modular or 302/351w, but you're going to pay.. The Getrag used is made in larger numbers with wider access to aftermarket parts, etc..
The simple economics of it all is just easier to stomach for a first rendition of a project car of this magnitude. Use the K.I.S.S. method for your projects. Get all your dimensions down, get your math sorted out, then assemble, measure, re-measure, measure again, cut, reassemble, test. I'd like to think that in using the IRS cradle, you'll be cutting a third or more off your fabrication time and conforms to the K.I.S.S. method, no need to reinvent the wheel on this. The FWD Lincoln v8 idea would be great in theory but the packaging would be tougher, as you'll have to fabricate you mounting points in a more confined environment between the two wheel tubs. moving the engine forward will provide closer 50/50 weight distribution. With the FWD Lincoln setup your entire drive line is over the rear portion of the car lending to an uneven distribution of weight. Not what I’d call the best solution to the mid engine mustang dilemma. Xctasy has brought out some good information as far as previous attempts at manufacturing mid engine cars with a similar size/weight/configuration as the foxbody platform. He’s most certainly correct in saying that this project would be difficult and not to be taken on lightly. Re-engineering a front engine RWD car to a rear engine RWD platform has its inherent difficulties as he mentioned. Cooling, weight distribution, mounting points, packaging, handling, etc..
Allgosvo also brought up a good link for reference. The packaging and scope however of that project is going far above and beyond the K.I.S.S. method, and has a sizeable budget to work with.

Tangent time.
Where the FWD Lincoln setup would be useful, would be to transplant the rear-engine setup in first, then transplant the FWD setup into the front of the car creating dual engine setup. Increasing the complexity of the project and bringing it closer to a Suzuki Escudoesk level. Twice as much planning and engineering than a mid/rear engine mustang project alone.

All in all I still think it’s a workable project within a limited budget to get the basics down without going hog wild on the first iteration.
Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
Why use a Fox body for such a custom designed super car?
Because Foxbody Project!