Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default mid or rear engine fox

As some of you know, I have put a coyote 5.0 in my foxbody. Since I will be attending Ohio Technical College starting this year, I am taking it back down to the frame.
    Now here's a crazy idea I just came up with. How cool would it be to make it into a rear engine car? I mean it would solve a lot of the foxbodies common issues. Frame twist, no weight on the rear wheels. I mean there are a lot of pros to this I think. Tuning the suspension might be hell, and so would the swap, but I think it would be awesome.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    A true Mustang enthusiast not only takes care of his own, but looks after the wellness of all other's.
    My ride:
    86' Mustang GT hatch w/t-tops
    previous rides:
    91' Mustang LX vert
    89' Mustang GT 25th Anniversary edition
    84' Mustang LX hatchback
    85' Mustang LX coupe
    88' Thunderbird turbo coupe

Different for sure. I'd like to see it
    putting together a little something special......stay tuned!

92 notch-WIP
    87GT-S Trim,4:10s,AOD=12.70@107
    89vert-sold
    84SVO-WIP
    84 notch-aka-FREAKSHOW
    85GT shell-for sale
    78 Zephyr-WIP
    86 Capri RS-WIP

Finally,the list of fox wants is complete!!!

I think it would be cool. But it would take alot of time and work. I just helped a friend put a terminator drive train in a 89 coupe and that 5.4L was a real tight fit.Its not completed yet but engine is in.
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged347 View Post
    I think it would be cool. But it would take alot of time and work. I just helped a friend put a terminator drive train in a 89 coupe and that 5.4L was a real tight fit.Its not completed yet but engine is in.
    Terminator is '03-'04 Cobra, and that's a supercharged 4.6L DOHC. If you put in a supercharged 5.4L DOHC, you used the '07-'12 Shelby GT500 powerplant.

Quote Originally Posted by 86Coyote View Post
    As some of you know, I have put a coyote 5.0 in my foxbody. Since I will be attending Ohio Technical College starting this year, I am taking it back down to the frame.
    Now here's a crazy idea I just came up with. How cool would it be to make it into a rear engine car? I mean it would solve a lot of the foxbodies common issues. Frame twist, no weight on the rear wheels. I mean there are a lot of pros to this I think. Tuning the suspension might be hell, and so would the swap, but I think it would be awesome.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Sounds crazy but if you have the notion and $, it would be very different. So are you thinking of it behind the front seats?

find a nice 79 pace car for the swap, just kidding

seriously, how about using a fairmont/ltd wagon with a mustang/pace car nose and hood scoop, the engine would be more visible in the wagon?

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 02-27-2013 at 11:38 PM.

[QUOTE=FM2NOTCH;1512861]find a nice 79 pace car for the swap,

Great idea, I second that! If you can find a 100% original car, that would probably work the best.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Wow, that's different. Never seen a mustang wagon. But yes I was thinking of having the motor face the rear, right behind the axle. I'm not sure there's enough room in front of the axle. I would have to use a transaxle from something, but I don't know what. Whatever it is I want it to be a 6 speed, or a 5 speed with a really tall 5th gear.
    Maybe a Capri bubble hatch would make for a good way to show it off. I plan on basically enclosing the entire area right behind the front seats.
    Since 5.0 coyote swaps are becoming more common, I think this rear engine conversion would make for a very unique fox. And the coyote would be the icing on the cake. I don't think anyone has ever done this yet. But then again I don't know.
    A true Mustang enthusiast not only takes care of his own, but looks after the wellness of all other's.
    My ride:
    previous rides:
    91' Mustang LX vert
    84' Mustang LX hatchback
    85' Mustang LX coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 86Coyote View Post
    Wow, that's different. Never seen a mustang wagon. But yes I was thinking of having the motor face the rear, right behind the axle. I'm not sure there's enough room in front of the axle. I would have to use a transaxle from something, but I don't know what. Whatever it is I want it to be a 6 speed, or a 5 speed with a really tall 5th gear.
    Maybe a Capri bubble hatch would make for a good way to show it off. I plan on basically enclosing the entire area right behind the front seats.
    Since 5.0 coyote swaps are becoming more common, I think this rear engine conversion would make for a very unique fox. And the coyote would be the icing on the cake. I don't think anyone has ever done this yet. But then again I don't know.
    That would cause so many more problems. Putting the weight behind the axle really F's up the balance of a car. Sure Porsche does it, but the little boxer doesn't weigh what a coyote does. Mid is the only way to go.

Years ago I had a ford aerostar, I wanted to cut the floor out and mid-mount a twin turbo 460. Never did it though.
    one last deal to make.

Ford beat you to a mid engine mustang by 51 years.
    In 1962 they built the Mustang I. A two seater mid engine Mustang.
    http://www.thelynxproject.org/X-Cars/x-cars.html

I had researched it for a time, putting a mid-engine setup in a fox mustang.
    Basing it on a De Tomaso Pathera, DMC Delorean, Ferrari, Porsche, etc.
    the De Tomaso would be a near perfect candidate, sporting a Ford power plant to begin with.
    Keeping the drivetrain modifications to a minimum.
    Allowing you to focus more on the suspension and body modifications which will be extensive. All in all, if I had my own project to do over I would have steered towards this swap.
    Last edited by Mr Joshua; 02-28-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    83 GT w/ T-Tops (JeffCleaned)
    2021 Turbo Blue Audi S5

^ That looks like the Mach 5

Would you name it "Coyote under glass" lol
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 5.7
    1993 Civic Coupe JDM B16A1
    1982 Mustang GT 5.0
    1980 Mustang Notchback 5.0
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1
    1978 Honda Accord CVCC 1.6
    1983 Camaro Berlinetta 2.8
    1981 Mustang Notchback ...Engineless...again

Quote Originally Posted by 80Notch View Post
    Would you name it "Coyote under glass" lol
    Or maybe

FOYOTE

A coyote stuffed inside a FOX. Kind of like a terducken.

Last edited by 2eyed4eyes; 02-28-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    KIT

Formerly ISS SVO

"Money is like manure, of very little use except it be spread."

Francis Bacon

1984 SVO 1C #875
    MAYBE 1986 SVO 2R GTA ED. It was a theft recovery car.
    2011 GT premium 401a package KONA BLUE 6 speed manual

The transaxle would probably have to be the Ford GT type and probably quite costly and hard to find.
    83 GT Turbo

Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but, couldn't you pull the rear seats and mount it there? You'd be able to run a regular transmission, you'd just need a custom drive shaft.
    1983 Mercury Zephyr Z7 AM Radio, no a/c, 200 3.3l I6, C5 Automatic, Police scanner, 40 Channel Cobra 29LTD CB radio, PA system mounted under bumper

2008 Ford F150 XL 2wd v6, 5 speed.

I didn't mean put the engine behind the rear axle, I meant face it towards te rear where the t/b is behind the axle. with the way the hatch opens it would just be easier with the front of the engine toward the rear methinks. I don't think there is any way around putting this thing directly above the rear wheels. I already plan to strip the rear seats, but I didn't think it would fit right there with a standard trans and a driveshaft.

Yes Mr Joshua, I am aware of the prototype, or concept mustang you mentioned, I have seen and read about it in a book I have. I didn't get the Idea from that, I had actually forgotten about it tip you mentioned it. When I said no one has done this, I was speaking from an aftermarket standpoint.

Pacevever79, the car Mr Joshua posted is actually called the mustang I.

I had a similar idea to use the ford Gt transaxle, I was actually playing forza horizon lastnight looking at all the rear engine cars to get an idea of what to steal a transaxle from.
    I mean c'mon, factory Five makes a kit car that allows you to mount an ls based engine to a Porsche transaxle. Although I would like to stick to ford parts, I am willing to use what will work.

Lol about " coyote under glass "
    My ride:
    previous rides:
    91' Mustang LX vert
    84' Mustang LX hatchback
    85' Mustang LX coupe

I like the mid engine idea better. I would love to see the entire process of this transformation. Fascinating it would be...
    1985 Mustang GT, owned since 1989
    2000 Expedition XLT 219k miles
    2011 Expedition XLT

FEP Senior Member

Sounds awesome. My first thought was take the a pillar and move the "cab" forward but leaving the side sheet metal in place to give more room behind the seats.
    1986 Saleen #26 - Saugus Pace Car
    1988 Range Rover Classic - The Shop Truck

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...bXJSXZ8rYZWG_Q
    Another interesting amalgamation.
    2021 Turbo Blue Audi S5

I'd consider joining here.
    http://gt40s.com/forum/
    2021 Turbo Blue Audi S5

I have thought about this too. If I were to try a mid/rear engine fox mustang I would use a engine and trans from a FWD Lincoln Continental 1995-2002. 4.6 DOHC, 260 or 275HP. Some 4.6 Cobra parts interchange, think 03-04 Cobra blower.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

I have thought about this too. If I were to try a mid/rear engine fox mustang I would use a engine and trans from a FWD Lincoln Continental 1995-2002. 4.6 DOHC, 260 or 275HP. Some 4.6 Cobra parts interchange, think 03-04 Cobra blower.

Jess
    that would be the best bet, being the lack of space between rear end and front seats.

I cannot fathom the amount of effort a project like this would require...
    Mostly because I'm too lazy
    Would be sick too see, wonder what performance would be like also due to different weight distribution. Also for handling

Quote Originally Posted by fiveoh 86lx View Post
    I cannot fathom the amount of effort a project like this would require...
    Mostly because I'm too lazy
    Would be sick too see, wonder what performance would be like also due to different weight distribution. Also for handling
    I can fathom it.
    Performance/weight distribution should be similar to the Pantera De Tomaso with a 3100lb curb weight, with the exception being the possible extended length and shortened height of the De Tomaso.
    I suppose if I was fabricating this, I'd look at using the IRS subframe and attachment points for a base on holding the new transaxle. Cut out the floor in between the frame rails, fabricating a new bulkhead just aft of the front seats, make the sail panels functional, tubular support structure for the motor mounts, relocate a fuel cell to the original engine bay, run new cooling lines to the original radiator, re-run power steering lines, electrical, etc..
    I think after 5 mins of re-brain storming it's more doable than I originally laid out, baring size/cost of the engine/transaxle and skill.
    2021 Turbo Blue Audi S5

Without the motors weight in the front, power steering would probably not be necessary.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast