Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Btw

We should do HP cars for ROTM??

Do we have enough?

Quote Originally Posted by nelzfoxes View Post
    Nice! A twin! Paint them white!
    Did you get the white wheels on the wagon?

Wow, this is an old thread. I have since done the 5 lug and have Cobra brakes front and back. The P71 wheels I have (17x7.5) clear the front brakes but just barely. I'm talking about 1/16" or less. I figured any wheel flex and they would hit, so I added 1/8" spacers in the front. I'm going to go to 1/4" as I still think they are too close. Tires are 225/50-17 and the spindles are 94-95 Mustang. Stock A-arms.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    80 Fairmont Futura 2.3 4spd (soon to be 2.3T 5spd)
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd
    89 Mustang 2.3T 5spd (WRL Racer)

www.RaceWRL.com

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    Did you get the white wheels on the wagon?
    I did not get them painted. I am starting to lean towards black again in order to preserve the sleeper look. So I peeled the plastidip off of the one. Just need to spray it with goo gone to remove residual dip. Then the plan is to buy 25mm eibach spacers for up front. I like the 225/50r17 size as seen above. I am thinking Conti Extreme DSW 06's right now, but that could change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Wow, this is an old thread. I have since done the 5 lug and have Cobra brakes front and back. The P71 wheels I have (17x7.5) clear the front brakes but just barely. I'm talking about 1/16" or less. I figured any wheel flex and they would hit, so I added 1/8" spacers in the front. I'm going to go to 1/4" as I still think they are too close. Tires are 225/50-17 and the spindles are 94-95 Mustang. Stock A-arms.
    You'd be surprised how little clearance there is between those wheels and the calipers in an '03-'11 Panther, it ain't much more than maybe 1/4, maybe 3/8 of an inch.
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

I'll post mine... 1986 Ford LTD Brougham. 17x7 up front and 17x9 out back. These are/were Dodge wheels.

1978 Mercury Zephyr 418 sbf w/ glide E-100 and Nitrous. Mid 5's @ 124 on 26x10's
    1986 Ford LTD street car w/ turbo. Best et/mph so far 10.5 @ 140 on 17" hard tires. Driven to and from track.

I have coilovers up front, QA-1 k-member and lower control arms, 94 SN-95 spindles, 13" cobra brakes. Rear is 31 spline fox length axles w/ Sn-95 disc brakes. Here's a few pictures of how I made the rear Dodge wheels 17x9:

Summit wheel 17x9

Dodge wheel cut up for the center

Dodge center ready to be pressed and welded into 17x9 shell
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 418 sbf w/ glide E-100 and Nitrous. Mid 5's @ 124 on 26x10's
    1986 Ford LTD street car w/ turbo. Best et/mph so far 10.5 @ 140 on 17" hard tires. Driven to and from track.

How did you set your run-out when installing the new center?
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    How did you set your run-out when installing the new center?
    First I pressed the center into the shell to my desired back spacing and then I trued it up the best I could on the bench. I then bolted it to the car and rolled it around with a dial indicator to mark the high and low spots. It took me a little while to figure it out, but once I did it went smoothly. It didn't take much weight to balance them and they ride extremely well.

Forgot to mention that the LTD ran a high 10 @ 131 on low boost and a fat tune up. Here's a video of me against a Corvette (skip to the 3:10 mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_SsIHOYs4

Default 5 lug swap to do P711 wheels?

Here is My Oregon State Patrol with a 5lug P71wheels

You must have done p71 5lug swap, true? I have 85 SSP, in Lacey, going to do 5 lug swap. did you use MarkVii rear end? thx PM bobz28@msn.com. My car is in paint shop in a vocational training program, so can't do any measuring now.

And my 84 Washington State Parrol LTD with P71wheels

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Touring1 View Post
    You must have done p71 5lug swap, true? I have 85 SSP, in Lacey, going to do 5 lug swap. did you use MarkVii rear end? thx PM bobz28@msn.com. My car is in paint shop in a vocational training program, so can't do any measuring now.
    I believe Crown Vics use the same bolt pattern as SN95s, so it's more likely that was the 5 lug conversion they did. Also I would recommend against the Mark VII rear brakes.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I believe Crown Vics use the same bolt pattern as SN95s, so it's more likely that was the 5 lug conversion they did. Also I would recommend against the Mark VII rear brakes.
    I'm now starting to flip out...I had bought a Mark VII rear under the impression that it was 1.25" wider total vs it's actually 1.25" wider on EACH SIDE. And I bought Chrysler 17" steelies...now thinking that the P71 wheels probably have more back spacing and will have to run those in the back on my Fairmont.

Curious to know how much room BUNGY has in the back fenderwell?

I THINK the Chrysler wheels have more OFFSET, which is what you want when your wheel flanges are farther out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Early (-'02) Crown Vic wheels are low offset, somewhere around +6mm.
    Chrysler wheels, which are the wrong bolt pattern (5x115mm, not 5x4.5"), are +18mm.
    Late ('03+) Crown Vic wheels are high offset, around +50mm.

Edit: See nelzfoxes post #17 in this thread. He said he had the later, deeper offset wheels on a Cobra IRS, which is another 0.25" wider (each side) than the Mark VII rear.
    Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 04-17-2019 at 09:18 AM.

I was thinking of the 03+ wheels. I'll double check post 17, thanks.

I have a ton of room in the back of mine. I have a stock fox width rear diff. I'm thinking the wider 94-98 rear would probably work better with these wheels. I am thinking of adding a 1/2" spacer in the rear to move the wheels out a little.
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd

www.RaceWRL.com

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Chrysler wheels, which are the wrong bolt pattern (5x115mm, not 5x4.5"), are +18mm.

Edit: See nelzfoxes post #17 in this thread. He said he had the later, deeper offset wheels on a Cobra IRS, which is another 0.25" wider (each side) than the Mark VII rear.
    Yes. I believe they are Ford Panther platform from 2006-2011 wheels. The wheels “tuck in” more than the previous years. Similar offsets are on 2005 and later mustangs. A lot of the later crown vic guys and gals are opting for the later mustang wheels. My Daddywagon below has a 2004 Cobra independent rear suspension and the Vic wheels give enough clearance that I don’t have to roll the fenders.

Did you decide against the White wheels? I thought the White would look good on that car.
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd

www.RaceWRL.com

Happy to resurrect an ancient thread! haha...I'm oldschool so I understand BS better than anything, so help me out here...

Offset - a zero offset means the mounting flange is in the direct center of whatever the wheel width is right? So that means I want to more positive offset, right? P71s were so hard to find in my area, that's why I went with the Chryslers. But up front the Chryslers would work better for not rubbing on turns. Wonder how much the wheels look like eachother? Maybe I need P71s in the rear and the Chryslers up front?

Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Did you decide against the White wheels? I thought the White would look good on that car.
    I am still gonna do it. I have 2 extra. I just have to pick up another 2 then it’s off to the powder coater! I have a lot planned... it’s just gonna take a while.

Yeah but at that rate I just as well bought actual custom wheels!

Yup, I was wrong about the mopar offset. That was a big leap Ford took for '03. They must've moved the wheel flanges WAY out on the Panthers at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Doing some more digging around, looks like the later Crown Vic police steelies are 17x7.5" +44.5mm (according to the specs for Dorman's reproduction wheels, 939-108 ).

Yes. I believe they are Ford Panther platform from 2006-2011 wheels. The wheels “tuck in” more than the previous years. My Daddywagon below has a 2004 Cobra independent rear suspension and the Vic wheels give enough clearance that I don’t have to roll the fenders.
    What size tires are you running, and do you know what the rear alignment is (specifically, how much negative camber)?

Quote Originally Posted by Str8sixfan View Post
    Happy to resurrect an ancient thread! haha...I'm oldschool so I understand BS better than anything, so help me out here...

Offset - a zero offset means the mounting flange is in the direct center of whatever the wheel width is right? So that means I want to more positive offset, right?
    I'm not sure what "old school" has to do with offset vs backspacing. They've both been in use for as long as I've been playing around with cars, and based on your videos, I'm a lot older than you! Just two different ways of specifying the same thing, easy to convert from one to the other with a little math or on one of the many websites that'll do it for you.

But anyway... Yes, if you want to pull the wheel into the wheel well (to give more clearance to the fender lip) then you want more positive offset.
    Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 04-18-2019 at 10:31 AM.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast