Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gauge lights

No, the screws go up into the dash pad, so once you unscrew them the top pulls out and you pull it up out of the grooves
    1986 Mustang GT T-top, 5 speed manual- Daily driver

You will have to disconnect the speedometer cable. Get ready to lay on you back with you hand up inside the dash feeling around for the collar around the base of the speedometer. Push inwards squeeze and push upwards with your thumb on the tab and pull it out/off.

Dash pad does not have to be removed.

Remove three screws on underside of dash pad that holds the dash/cluster bezel in. Tilt the top of the dash/cluster bezel out and lift up and out to remove.

Remove four screws that hold the cluster in the dash, one screw in each corner. Pull the cluster out slightly and reach behind to release the two harnesses and the speedometer cable. The harness ends are "pinched" to release them and the collar around the cable is pinched or pushed down into the the speedometer head to release it. Pull the cluster out from the dash.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thank you, everybody here on FEP

Chris Wood

When I had the same issue, I took mine apart, washed the white plastic piece (main housing) and spray painted it with the "best" canned chrome spray paint that I could; replaced all of the bulbs, the difference was amazing.
    Since then I have went with a complete Autometer cluster in a carbon fiber housing that I made...I like the look and the accuracy much better! All of the gauges are mechanical except for the tachometer and the fuel level gauge.

A word of caution!! The wires and "printed" circuit board are fragile afet all they are 30+ years old.

Best pic I have right now...

So when did Ford go to Red Dash lights? My 1983 GT was a one owner car and its lights are white/green I thought they would be red because the gauges are red? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTTops View Post
    So when did Ford go to Red Dash lights? My 1983 GT was a one owner car and its lights are white/green I thought they would be red because the gauges are red? Thank you
    Ford made the change mid model year in 1983, so early cars are the blue/green color and the later models are red/orange color.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Ford made the change mid model year in 1983, so early cars are the blue/green color and the later models are red/orange color.
    Thanks Trey. According to the Marti Report, it was built 8-19-83. That seems like a late build for an 83? However, it really is Green all over. Thanks!

1983 production ended in early September. 1983 and 1984 5.0L convertible and hatchback production actually overlapped for about 3 weeks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTTops View Post
    Thanks Trey. According to the Marti Report, it was built 8-19-83. That seems like a late build for an 83? However, it really is Green all over. Thanks!
    Are all of your interior dash lights the same color including the HVAC control unit. That seems like a really late production to still have the green/blue lights. I am not sure if Foxchassis or anyone has a specific change over date, as I believe it was a rolling change in production from what little I know. Then again Ford does crazy things all the time.

If all your lights are the same then, most likely that is correct for you Mustang. If you HVAC color is different, then I would guess that someone swapped the cluster out or at least the colored bulb shields inside the cluster. You can easily change the color of the cluster illuminate if you want. Most swap to LED colored bulbs now and ditch the colored cover/shields for better lighting. The HVAC color is inside the unit itself and can't be changed without swapping units to the proper color unit.

I had an 83 GT many years ago that had the red/orange gauge color, but I don't recall the actual production date of the vehicle. Not sure if I have a picture of the door tag either.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Hi Trey

Thanks for the response. Yes, even the HVAC is green. I like the red better, it is just what this car has. All green.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12