Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

I haven't done much with the mustang since my last post. I remade a mount for the idler just before the blower. What I had was flexing as the revs went up, no good. I had something better machined up.

I started making a sheet metal scoop to cover up the blower, and then gave up on it when I came up with something else. The metal scoop would have required that I fill all the hold in the hood, that's not a deal breaker, but getting the scoop to look right was taking too long.

I originally decided against modifying the pace car hood scoop/cowl piece because of its rarity. That is also when I was thinking I would need to add a bulge to the top of it. After some staring at it I came up with a better idea. I raised the sides to give it more of a cowl look, and increase the clearance that it gave. I used fiberglass mat, followed by bondo. These pictures are after glassing it. Trying to get the curve correct.

I got some filler on it today and a coat of primer to see where I am at. I'll sand it down when I get some more time. In the background you can see the "new" stablemate for my '79 mustang. It's a '79 bronco.

It looked good outside but the floor was pretty much non existent. I'm replacing the whole thing.

Guess I have a thing for 1979 fords and big projects.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

FEP Supporter

Nice Jess. I think your made the right decision with the cowl and you definitely have the skills to do it right! It's going to look great, just like that Bronco will once you're done with it!

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Nice Jess. I think your made the right decision with the cowl and you definitely have the skills to do it right! It's going to look great, just like that Bronco will once you're done with it!
    Thanks.

Got some filler on it, sanded down and primed. If it still looks good after sanding I'll paint it. I'm just going to do a satin black, and do the red pin stripes like I had on it before.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.

Just read thru all of this! Awesome project. Maybe I missed it, but you painted it yourself...is that plastidip? What color? You've done some outrageous work there!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Not plasti-dip. I bought the kit but never used it. Not one of my better decisions.

The paint is Massey Ferguson Grey, or MF'in Grey as I like to call it.

Jess
    Previously owned;

I've been trying to decide whether to use PD or real paint. Or one of the other peel off coatings. One thing I like is it's cheaper and if I don't like it or it gets screwed up, peel it off, without all that sanding and then use real paint. The drawback I have seen is the PD has a texture and even with the glossifier still seems NOT glossy.

I halfway am tempted to paint my 85 GT Olive Green! I photoshopped it and it looks pretty cool, but I think it would get old very fast.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Time for some changes. LS swap!

LS throttle body that is. 102mm and cable actuated. None of that computerized shenanigans.

It's going in front of the blower, that's why it needed to be so big. Blowers respond really well to reducing restrictions, and because I am using a 4" pipe to send the air to the blower, this throttle body is just about the exact size match. I didn't want to dig into my MS to change the idle air motor. GM stuff uses a stepper motor. So I drilled and tapped the brass fittings seen in the picture, and also on a spare idle air motor. The MS can be calibrated for the GM style TPS without much trouble. I chopped a couple inches off of my air inlet pipe, made a flange for the throttle body, welded that on, paint is drying now. I wired the throttle body that was on the car open. If the larger TB before the blower works good, I'll remove the old TB, probably over the winter.

This mod should reduce the blower noise a bit, which will be nice, but not the main reason for the swap. I was getting a weird drivabilty issue. Kinda annoying more than anything. It felt like the blowers bypass valve didn't like having the throttle body after it, kinda like the would bounce off of each other, surging a bit. Apparently most people who tinker with this style blower end up with the throttle body in front of the blower eventually, guess the factory knew what they were doing. SHould be up and running tomorrow.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Forgot to add that I ground down a 1/4" bolt to use a factory mustang throttle cable. Behold!

It took way longer than it should have, I hope it holds up well, the springs on the LS TB are quite strong. I like a lot of resistance on the gas pedal though.

Jess
    Previously owned;

LS throttle body was a bust. Idle air motor wasn't moving enough air to keep a stable idle. I could probably use a different Idle air motor, but I'm thinking of something else.

Blower makes four pounds of boost. I wasn't expecting a lot given the size of my motor and the size of the original application, but I was hoping for around six or seven pounds with the smaller pulley that is on it now. So, I have a decision to make. My options as I see them.

1) Work on getting all available power out of the tune, max out timing and so on. Motor is around 8.25:1 compression with only four #s of boost I should be able to run around NA levels of timing with 93 octane gas.

2) Keep timing low try to get a tune that will run fine on 89 or even 87 octane fuel. Save a little cash at the pump.

3) Bigger aftermarket blower. With a few mods to my blower mount plate I should be able to use any blower made for a Shelby Mustang. BIG bucks though. A few thousand, so that's not looking likely.

4) Add a turbo and do a compound boost type deal. According to online compound boost charts, with 4 #s from the blower and another 9#s from a turbo I should end up with around 15#s of boost at the motor. Pretty much what I was thinking when I put the motor together. I have all the piping I used before when I had the turbo in the trunk. Adding a turbo would be much cheaper than a larger blower, more complicated though.

Based on how I use the car I'm leaning towards option number 4. If I daily drove the car I would try number 2 first, but I don't really drive more than a thousand or two miles a year.
    Car is off the road now, ready for a long winter nap. I have time to think about it, especially after recently being diagnosed with colon cancer. I won't have much cash to spend on the car for a while. So research it is.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Sucks about the colon cancer Jess.
    Reading the thread the non A.C. is not good.
    The next T roof if I get one will have A.C.
    Lived the T roof without and it was not pleasant.
    I could not crack the windows in any rain without a puddle forming on my leg.
    It's a non issue if you never drive it in the rain.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Blog Entries

Not sure how i missed most of this thread- i missed the entire Eaton swap! Great work. Do you think having the blower ported would gain you some boost?
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Oh man! Cancer SUCKS. Kick that thing a$$ and plan for the return to action! Let us know the progress on both fronts, please!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dog View Post
    Sucks about the colon cancer Jess.
    Reading the thread the non A.C. is not good.
    The next T roof if I get one will have A.C.
    Lived the T roof without and it was not pleasant.
    I could not crack the windows in any rain without a puddle forming on my leg.
    It's a non issue if you never drive it in the rain.
    The t-top swap is pretty much the one thing that moved the car from fair weather daily driver to weekend cruiser. I wouldn't do it again if I could do this build over. $500 for just the weather strip kit and the seals are so tight that the doors still shut hard. Then there is the drips you mentioned. Neither of which were an issue before.

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    Not sure how i missed most of this thread- i missed the entire Eaton swap! Great work. Do you think having the blower ported would gain you some boost?
    I did a basic port before I bolted everything together. Removed obvious obstructions, opened up the inlet, and cartridge rolled the cast aluminum surfaces. I am really pleased how the blower deal turned out. No belt slip or other shenanigans. Just wanted more boost. It'll break the tires loose in third gear, but I want more.

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Oh man! Cancer SUCKS. Kick that thing a$$ and plan for the return to action! Let us know the progress on both fronts, please!!
    Thanks. Will do.

Jess
    Previously owned;

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    The t-top swap is pretty much the one thing that moved the car from fair weather daily driver to weekend cruiser. I wouldn't do it again if I could do this build over. $500 for just the weather strip kit and the seals are so tight that the doors still shut hard. Then there is the drips you mentioned. Neither of which were an issue before.

I did a basic port before I bolted everything together. Removed obvious obstructions, opened up the inlet, and cartridge rolled the cast aluminum surfaces. I am really pleased how the blower deal turned out. No belt slip or other shenanigans. Just wanted more boost. It'll break the tires loose in third gear, but I want more.

Thanks. Will do.

Jess
    Get well man, great work on the car and nothing wrong with a break and some downtime, Google is your friend

Last day of chemo and radiation was today. Yea!

It was really tough for me, like crying on my knees in the bathroom though at times. But, I seem to be past that point now, last couple days have actually been a bit better.

Looks like the plan for my mustang will be to leave the car on 93 octane and work on getting the tune as good as possible. Then in the future, maybe a couple years go big with it. Probably going to get another turbo similar to the Precision t76 I have now and twin turbo it. Probably low out front. There is a forum member here that makes a tubular replacement for all the sheet metal substructure on fox mustangs. Goes from the shock towers forward, all tubular. Should make for lots of extra space, drops 46 pounds off the front of the car too. Since the lower radiator mount on my car is a bit banged up anyway, seems like a good idea. Just need about $700 and a bunch of time to get it done, Lol. Someday, after my hospital bills are paid, and my '79 bronco in rolling, so a few years from now. By then I'll probably want to redo the exterior of the car too. It never ends.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Glad to hear the chemo is behind you. Now you can recoup from that sh$t. It's really bad that the thing that can save you from cancer makes you feel like dying during it!

Here's to a speedy cancer free recovery and new plans for the ride.

Congrats on getting thru your Chemo! Prayers for your continued recovery. Hope everything goes well with your Mustang and taking care of the hospital bills.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Been a while, guess I can update things a bit. I bought a Subaru WRX wagon so my turbo itch is now scratched. In 24 years of driving, car number 16 is an import, Lol.

I had been toying with not even putting the mustang on the road this year, but a friend of mine talked me into looking at classic car insurances. Probably going to go that route. Being that I have a turbo car, the mustang will stay as it is, with just the blower.

I think I will pull out the ducting for the rear mount turbo, and reinstall the factory quarter glass. I have a nice set of rear interior plastics to replace the ones with holes for the ducting in them. I also have another deck lid that I can use that won't have the heat vent cut in it. Might even put it on without the wing to see how it looks. Basically toning down the car a bit. Should make the insurance company more likely to insure it. Grundy gave me the best quote.

Health wise I'm feeling okay now. Had my first surgery in the middle of April. They took out about six inches, clean margins with no spread at any surrounding lymph nodes, so that's good stuff. I have the end of my small intestine sticking out of a hole in my stomach now, so I poo in a bag taped to my side. Not the most pleasant. But, I have a tentative date for my second surgery in a couple weeks to hook everything back up, no more bag. Assuming that goes well, after healing up I have four months of Chemo to look forward to. I thought I was near the end, but it is really just half way through. The plans I had for 2017 are shot. A little disappointing but progress is progress I guess. Got to get healthy first.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Good God Jess, how hard it's been for you.

I hope things go well over the next few months for you. I will keep you in my prayers brother.

Prayer and thought for you and your family! You're a tough SOB, so I am sure you will get thru this too.

Hope everything goes well with getting out on the road this year with one of your rides. That can be such a huge spirit booster! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. It's easy being tough when you don't have a choice. Next nice day I get the mustang will be getting some attention. I can't stop thinking about driving it now.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Got the normal glass windows in and the hole less interior quarter trim in. Looks kinda boring now with just plain glass. The "normalizing" process will continue with the trunk lid.

Jess
    Previously owned;

"Normalizing Process"....Lol. I sure hope you get better real soon Jess. I like reading your posts.

I going to try and get the classic car insurance for the mustang. I've had them frown on previous cars with extensive mods. Lol.

I kept thinking of the Sponge Bob episode where he tries to become normal while removing the duct work and replacing the windows.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast