Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

It is. But it sure beats laying under the car or wrenching on rusty stuff. I'm looking forward to hearing the blower whine and roar.

Like this but better.

I'd like to have it pretty much wrapped up before driving season. Instead of working on the car til September, drive it for a month, then park it til the next summer.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Sweet sound for sure 👍

Messing around on my phone...
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam

1981 Mustang GT-

In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

What to expect welding aluminum with a MIG welder and a spool gun.

It's stuck on there good, not going anywhere. Trying to fill in the rest has proven problematic for me, burn through, or welds just piling up and not penetrating. So, the injector bungs are securely welded in place, ground down, and epoxied to fill any voids, and to look better. I tried pre-heating the intake in the oven before welding, with limited success. Overall I think that what I did will work and once sanded and painted, will look just fine.

From the underside.

With the blower set in place for reference. Before epoxy. You can also see a little brace that I made to support the blower mount a little more. It is welded to above the thermostat housing.

The blower bypass valve is not playing nice with the fuel rail. I have started to relocate the valve further back and away from the rail.

Yet another shot of the blower setting on the motor. But, this time the intake is 95% done, and the height that the blower sets at is where it will be. Today I also made a 1/4" high temp plastic spacer that will go between the blower and the steel plate that bolts to the intake(you can just see it in the above picture). This is to hopefully insulate the blower from the engines heat. or vice versa. There is an air gap too. I got all the vacuum/boost reference points and air temp sensor drilled and tapped today as well. Actually I got a bunch done. its been a bit easier to stay motivated now that good progress is being made.

Jess
    Last edited by Mustang-junky; 02-22-2016 at 09:07 PM.
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.

I made a plate that moves the bypass up and back to clear the fuel rail. The rod had to be lengthened. I used the thickest wall 3/16" brake line I could find. Just a few tacks, I didn't want to heat up the rubber seals in the bypass valve.

Plenty of room now.

I got the front blower support/idler pulley holder made. This is a in progress picture. Black lines show where I need to remove aluminum to make room for the upper radiator hose. Blower at this point is bolted to the intake.

I will be using a 8 rib belt. I just used a 6 rib I ha laying around for mock up purposes.

With the radiator hose. It's starting to look like something now.

Belt rap should be pretty good.

Now I need to clean up and paint the intake and steel mounting plate that the blower discharge attaches to. Then hopefully I can put some stuff on the car and leave it there.

Jess
    Previously owned;

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    This is a in progress picture. Black lines show where I need to remove aluminum to make room for the upper radiator hose. Blower at this point is bolted to the intake.

I like the precision line making Were you drinking?

Kidding Jess. While at this point I do not understand much about the engineering, setting up and executing a project like this, I really admire the just do it attitude and some trial and error/improvise along the way! Seeing others execute and do projects like this inspire me to think bigger and keep learning new skills!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

^ I'll second that, intresting to watch the progression

1986 Ford Mustang GT-

1981 Mustang GT-

In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I like the precision line making Were you drinking?

Kidding Jess. While at this point I do not understand much about the engineering, setting up and executing a project like this, I really admire the just do it attitude and some trial and error/improvise along the way! Seeing others execute and do projects like this inspire me to think bigger and keep learning new skills!
    Ha, ha. No drinking, makes me tired, then I get nothing done.

I was trying to sneak up on how much to cut out. Draw a line, step back and give it the ol' eyeball. It's a bit of a compromise between not wanting to remove any more metal/strength, and making the upper hose fit without having to totally redesign it. I had thought about cutting the thermostat housing and having the hose come straight forward. Simpler is better in this case I think with an unmolested thermostat housing.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Manifold is painted, blower plate is welded up and painted. It looks good but unfortunately it is no longer flat, I'll have to put it in the press and see if I can take the bow out of it.

There have been a couple other hurdles too. Intake gaskets, MS93334 and MS95952(Explorer size), which are regularly available won't work for me. The intake sits too low, top of the intake ports on the heads is almost exposed. I ended up ordering Fel-pro 1262S3 which are the steel reinforced version of the 1262 'race' gasket. I ordered two sets just in case.

Another issue is the belt. The blower is 10 rib. I have a 10 rib crank pulley that I showed the machine work I had done to get it to fit several months ago. Idler pulleys are also 10 rib. I couldn't find a alternator, water pump, or power steering pulley in 10 rib, they would have to be custom made, $$$$.

I'm thinking I could get by with a 8 rib belt, it worked for the 03-04 Cobras and Lightening trucks. I was able to get the power steering, alternator and water pump in 8 rib. Also, many lengths are offered locally in stock at parts stores. After mocking up with a belt I had, I decided that 105" long would be just about right. Off to the store I go. 10 different 8 rib lengths, but, figures the sizes go from 100" to 110.3" Nothing in between. So, I buy a 6 rib in 105" just to make sure that the length is correct. It is. I'll have to order a 8 rib 105" belt. Wish I had know this a couple days ago, could have saved on shipping costs and ordered with the gaskets.

Jess
    Previously owned;

I did my best to flatten out the blower plate with no success. When the manifold, plate, and blower were bolted together the case of the blower distorted enough to make the rotors contact the case of the blower. No good. Plan 'B' was to take the manifold and plate to the shop that has done the other work for me and have them machine the stuff flat. I wasn't expecting the added cost, but I guess it just comes with making custom stuff. I had them true up the blower mounts on the manifold to.

They had to cut the bottom to get everything true.

It was worth it though. After bolting everything together the blower spins over nicely, no rubbing. So, I bolted all the blower stuff together and had my wife help me set the whole thing in place on my motor. As of this evening it's all torqued down. No since in a picture because it looks just like some of the previous pictures.

While I was waiting for my intake and plate to be machined I started on installing my intercooler. I am using some stuff left over from a HP Performance turbo kit I had years ago. The intercooler and some of the charge pipes. I'm about 2/3 way done with that. I'm getting close, maybe by the end of the week I'll get to start the car. I can't wait.

Jess
    Previously owned;

I'm getting close, maybe by the end of the week I'll get to start the car. I can't wait.

Jess
    Take a vid of it?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Sure when it's running.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Mike1157

Sure when it's running.

Jess
    I gotta give it to ya Jess. Not many people with the skills and the drive to step off into a project like this. I think between you and me, we have curbed the market on JB weld. It puzzles me though.
    You had a working turbocharged combination that was waay less of a hassle than the path you are going down now. I understand the reason for the alternative power adder w/ regard to the power curve, but, it's almost like trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

There's another guy on Stangnet that has a M122? on his 5.0 mounted on a plate hanging over one of the sides of the engine. He's a freaking genius. He has worked on, and dealt with every running issue on that combo, and he has a MSII/EDIS running as well. If you have anyquestions, he would be a great source for those answers.

If I've never said it, I like your car. I really like the paint color/scheme. It has the perfect combo of an external attitude, love/hate mods ( which I am an authority on) like the rear wing, and (when you get the huffer going) enough power to give the haters more of a reason to hate it.

Thanks for the kind words. If you were to ask my wife she would say that I just can't leave well enough alone. That and grumble about the money I spend on my projects.

The turbo made plenty of power, but did not really come into the power band til around 3000rpm. Sure I could have changed the hot side pipe sizes and the turbine housing to get into the boost quicker. I wanted something different. It has been probably 15 years sense I had a car with a blower, been doing the turbo thing a long time. The blower should build boost much lower, sound really cool, and it is pretty unique. I have no plans to race the car, so lower RPM is where it's at for this car.

After I removed the turbo stuff I actually really enjoyed driving the car around NA last summer. With 8.5:1 compression I could run 87 octane gas, saved some cash, and with 393 cubic inches there was plenty of power.

I plan to widen the body next year, about 1.5" each side. Probably build fender flares that follow the factory lines. Should just about complete the car. Maybe.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Fuel stuff, done. Fuel rails and crossover.
    Cooling system, just need to tighten upper radiator hose and add coolant.
    Idler pulley and front blower support, done.
    Fancy green heavy duty 8 rib belt, on(Original application is a 12.8L Freightliner).
    Spark plug wires rerouted. I want to replace these with some custom pieces down the road. Some are too long.

Still to do.
    Reroute wires, clean up the mess on the firewall.
    Vacuum lines.
    Make pipe and mount for throttle body.
    Make air inlet/filter mount and bolt to blower.
    Set up crank trigger for ignition.
    Finish plumbing in intercooler.
    Fire it up, scare old ladies and small children.

Jess
    Last edited by Mustang-junky; 03-14-2016 at 08:38 PM.
    Previously owned;

Mike1157

Fuel stuff, done. Fuel rails and crossover.
    Cooling system, just need to tighten upper radiator hose and add coolant.
    Idler pulley and front blower support, done.
    Fancy green heavy duty 8 rib belt, on(Original application is a 12.8L Freightliner).
    Spark plug wires rerouted. I want to replace these with some custom pieces down the road. Some are too long.

Still to do.
    Reroute wires, clean up the mess on the firewall.
    Vacuum lines.
    Make pipe and mount for throttle body.
    Make air inlet/filter mount and bolt to blower.
    Set up crank trigger for ignition.
    Finish plumbing in intercooler.
    Fire it up, scare old ladies and small children.

Jess
    Wheres that big assed tube gonna have to go that was coming out where the distributor was supposed to go? I dont see It.

There is an intercooler in front of the radiator. Cooler has inlet and outlet on the passenger side. So, the blower discharge goes down under the passenger side headlight, through the cooler, then up the passenger side fender, and out just in front of the shock tower to the throttle body.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Ready to fire it up tomorrow. Just need about a half hour to check over things and then turn the key.

I need to tweak the throttle cable bracket a bit, secure several of the wires and other bit.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Jess
    Previously owned;

👍 Good luck, hope it goes better than my first fire up...

1986 Ford Mustang GT-

1981 Mustang GT-

In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Mike1157

Ready to fire it up tomorrow. Just need about a half hour to check over things and then turn the key.

I need to tweak the throttle cable bracket a bit, secure several of the wires and other bit.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Jess
    And I thought my engine compartment was busy. You gotta bunch of stuff going on there.

Mikestang, I had all of the systems up and working before I added the supercharger stuff, so I'm not expecting any fuel or ignition troubles, hopefully. I will be looking out for oil and coolant leaks, setting the manifold and blower on as a unit was a challenge, really heavy and awkward. Belt alignment issues, and clearances will something I'm going to keep my eyes on too.

Mike1157, Yes, in hindsight putting the water and meth tank/pump assembly in the trunk would have been a good idea. There is a lot going on. This morning I wen to charge the battery up, the charger wouldn't work. I guess either the charger or the battery is to cold. I brought both inside the house to let them warm up a bit (my wife is used to me dragging stuff in, she's a trooper). I might have to wait till later this afternoon to try to start the car. It was down in the low 20s last night.

Jess
    Last edited by Mustang-junky; 03-20-2016 at 09:47 AM.
    Previously owned;

After giving up on the battery that was just fine last fall, I grabbed one out of another project. Charged it up, dropped it in, gave everything a quick looking over, turned the key and fired it up. Click on the picture for a video of it running.

I'm going to check for leaks, change the oil, and set the car back on the ground. Next up will be to remove the Pace Car fiberglass hood piece and figure out how much I have to cut on the hood to get it to close. I'll probably have to make another Pace Car 'like' cowl. Not exactly sure what direction I'm going to go at this point.

I'm very happy about the car firing right up with no issues, well, none that I'm aware of so far. Can't wait for the first ride.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Awesome! No mistaking that sound...
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Cool man, what are you tuning it with?

1986 Ford Mustang GT-

1981 Mustang GT-

In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Quote Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
    Cool man, what are you tuning it with?

MegaSquirt II, batch fire, wasted spark. I added EDIS ignition to get rid of the distributor. I'm using the TunerStudio program with the MS.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast