Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ponch

Default '79 Capri RS Turbo

Posting this for a freind who has it parked at my shop. It's a '79 Mercury Capri RS Turbo. He bought it about a year and a half ago thinking it would be a good, rare car to restore, but has too many other higher-priority projects (as do I), and we have both since lost interest. Anyway, here's what it is.

1979 Capri RS Turbo. Southwest car - VERY solid body. It does have a bullet hole on the top of one fender that went through the engine compartment, but didn't hit anything vital (fan shroud has a hole, etc.). The paint is faded, but I hand-polished one half of it when he first bought it and the it came out pretty good. He got busy & never came over to do his half Still has the original 2.3 carb Turbo and 4-speed manual. He bought a new carb for it (Weber 32/36 or some variation of that, I believe), and I installed it one night & got it to turn over and fire, but never got it running (again, I only spent one night at it, then pulled it out of my shop....also, my timing light broke that night!). Vacuum lines will need re-done and it might run good after that?!?!?!? I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge on these cars could get it running pretty easy. Interior is OK at best. Has a pair of mid '80's grey Mustang front buckets in an otherwise red interior. Has some dash cracks, etc. Also, the clutch doesn't feel like it has any resistance when depressed (possibly needs a clutch cable?). Has a set of 16" Cobra wheels that go with it, but tires are shot. It is what it is. Great project car or? Clear New Mexico title in his name. Located 20 minutes South of Albuquerque, NM. Asking $1000. Again, it has a pretty good body and almost runs That has to be a good buy for somebody!

More pics here:

http://s1022.beta.photobucket.com/us...21705742637341

Thanks!

Last edited by Ponch; 02-13-2013 at 04:26 PM.

This sounds good, I have a rusted out 79 turbo Cobra that could donate parts to the project, looking forward to seeing pictures.

David

Ponch

Pics Added!

did that car have A/C?

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ponch View Post
    Pics Added!

Thank you for adding the pictures. I will pass at this time. Looks like a great project.

David

Ponch

Quote Originally Posted by A FOXY 4EYED CAT View Post
    did that car have A/C?
    Yes, and everything still looks to be intact.

Any pic's of the engine bay?
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Ponch

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    Any pic's of the engine bay?

Ponch

BUMP!

MIGHT consider a trade. Also have an '86 Merkur XR4Ti with a good EFI Turbo drivetrain, but it's an auto (also sitting in my back 40). It runs and drives, but needs work as well. I could probably talk him into selling both as a package, but not sure what he needs out of the Merkur (I think he might have plans for that motor). If anyone's interested, I can find out.
    Last edited by Ponch; 02-22-2013 at 08:31 PM.

sure wish were closer to alabama i would give a grand for it really would like to have a 79-82 capri

Looks like a solid project. GLWS.
    Mike

84 Mustang GT Turbo Vert
    86 Mustang GT T-Top
    95 Mustang GT Vert
    05 Mustang GT

Elvis was not alive in 1979 so I know he didn't shoot it. Nice car with great potential!!!
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Can you post the VIN, and pics of the door tag and buck tag? Thanks.

Wow, I love that car.. Wish it ran, I would come pick it up!

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Its ironic--if you got it to start, then buffed the hell out of it, you could probably get two grand. As it sits, nobody wants to give you a grand.

I'd give him a grand, it would just cost me another $500 to go pick it up haha

I'm really considering it though, especially if it just needs some vacuum hoses and maybe a tune up to run.

Edit: can you email me @ qsgarner @ gmail.com

Hows the condition of the rest of the car, hard to tell other than the bullet hole if there's any rust issues or anything like that.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Got Trq; 02-20-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Ponch

Quote Originally Posted by Got Trq View Post
    I'd give him a grand, it would just cost me another $500 to go pick it up haha

I'm really considering it though, especially if it just needs some vacuum hoses and maybe a tune up to run.

Edit: can you email me @ qsgarner @ gmail.com

Hows the condition of the rest of the car, hard to tell other than the bullet hole if there's any rust issues or anything like that.

Thanks!
    Emailed!

Ponch

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Its ironic--if you got it to start, then buffed the hell out of it, you could probably get two grand. As it sits, nobody wants to give you a grand.
    Yeah, it is what it is. I just don't have the time to spend on it. Being a freind's car, my projects come first. That makes this one number 11 on my list of projects. Rather than let it sit in my back 40, I thought I'd see if anyone else could give it more attention than I can right now.

Ponch

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Can you post the VIN, and pics of the door tag and buck tag? Thanks.
    Pardon my ignorance, but I can't find the buck tag. I've looked all over the core support area and just don't see it. Maybe someone can help me out there?

Here's the door tag and vin plate:

Thanks for posting those. Buck tag is directly behind the driver headlamps. You might be able to see it if you look down there from the top.

Ponch

Thanks for posting those. Buck tag is directly behind the driver headlamps. You might be able to see it if you look down there from the top.
    Couldn't see it from the top, so I pulled buth headlights.....still no joy.

Don't worry about it. On some of those early cars it's hard to find and see. It's behind the headlight bucket, not the headlights themselves. You actually have to look down between the header panel and the radiator, between the hood latch and the L bracket that holds the header panel up, at and angle towards the headlamp buckets.

Here is a bare radiator core support:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...5&d=1345336172

Here is the engine shot you posted, with an arrow pointing to the general location of the tag on the early cars:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Ponch

Don't worry about it. On some of those early cars it's hard to find and see. It's behind the headlight bucket, not the headlights themselves. You actually have to look down between the header panel and the radiator, between the hood latch and the L bracket that holds the header panel up, at and angle towards the headlamp buckets.

Here is a bare radiator core support:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...5&d=1345336172

Here is the engine shot you posted, with an arrow pointing to the general location of the tag on the early cars:
    Ok. I'll check again tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Give you $800 if it is indeed intact. I will be leaving Alamogordo next tuesday headed back home to Las Vegas and am looking for a 1979-80 car so I dont have to smog in my home state of Idaho. You wouldn't be upset if it ended up with a 331 in it would you?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhitebeast View Post
    Give you $800 if it is indeed intact. I will be leaving Alamogordo next tuesday headed back home to Las Vegas and am looking for a 1979-80 car so I dont have to smog in my home state of Idaho. You wouldn't be upset if it ended up with a 331 in it would you?
    Oh boy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast