Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

it is a new auto meter water temp gauge - electric
    1979 Ford Fairmont Futura "The F Bomb"

Here is an update.

I took the heater hose out of the intake and cranked the car. Coolant gushed out as I was cranking. That tells me the water pump is pumping.

Then I took the other heater hose out. Cranked. Again, water gushed out. That tells me water is pumping thru the heater core. that is good.

So I have come to the conclusion that i have an air pocket, as many of you have said.

I tried to put the car up on a ramp in the front but the ramps kept slipping on my garage floor. I couldn't pull the car outside because its dark and at this point i'm watching my 3 year old and just didnt want to mess with him outdoors. So...

I tried cranking it again and getting it up to normal temp to see if I could get a hot enough radiator to kick the electric fan on. It run for at least 10-15 minutes and the temp got alll the way up to 235 or so (which could be a false reading due to an air pocket) before I shut the engine off. THE UPPER RADIATOR HOSE WAS STILL COLD AND IT NEVER BURPED. argghh!!!! The side of the radiator was just ever so slightly warm, like feeling someones forehead when they're sick.

Still convinced its an air pocket? Or is the thermostat (which I tested to be good) acting up?

I think at this point the only thing I haven't done is to put the nose of the car up and try...
    Last edited by sircrunch; 02-13-2013 at 09:09 PM.

at this point I would try the ramps, had to do that on a couple of cars. But never on a ford. They also make a funnel for coolant systems and it works well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400080285135...84.m1423.l2649

Maybe unhook the upper hose from radiator and fill from there?
    Current buggies

83 Mercury capri Crimson int, 331, TKO
    91 Camaro
    85 Full size Bronco
    00 Buell Cyclone
    76 FX
    86 Yamaha TRI-Z 250
    75 OSSA Super pioneer
    02 CR250

Crack the water temp sender until coolant comes out with the car running! No need to put it on ramps.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

which one marz? the one at the right front of the intake if looking from the front.... or the one that is mounted to the heater hose on the left side of the engine if looking from front?

Plugged radiator??? I would try flushing it out from top to bottom with a garden hose to see if you get any flow through it. Just a thought.
    '67 Shelby GT500 428 4spd. (owned for 32yrs. SOLD 11/26/2011. A sad day $$$$. Pics in my album!

'83 Capri 5.0 4spd. ASC McLaren Sport Pkg.(1983 Indy 500 Speed Week Motorcraft sponsored parade car) Original paint. Pics in my album! (SOLD 11/11/2017)

'79 Capri RS 5.0 52,000mi. Total molestation! (1300 man/hrs.) Build Pics in 3 albums!

if the thermostat was sitting in the bottom of the pot when you boiled the water, the bottom off the pot would be hotter than the water. this could have got the thermostat to open sooner and have tricked you into thinking it was working perfectly when it opened before the water boiled.

i would suggest using a candy thermometer or whatever you have that is suitable, and testing the thermostat again with it suspended off of a string.

what brand is the thermostat you have? you have it installed with the spring facing in towards the engine right?

cale

Look at the Tstat....

Quote Originally Posted by sircrunch View Post
    which one marz? the one at the right front of the intake if looking from the front.... or the one that is mounted to the heater hose on the left side of the engine if looking from front?
    Crack the one on the intake.

I will try that tonight. I noticed last night that back when I installed the radiator, when i tightened the bracket that holds the top of the radiator to the core support, that I tightened it up too tight and the first couple of rows of fins is squished a little bit. Not enough to cause a leak or anything like that but.... could this be causing the problem?

Cant see if youve done anything with the t-stat yet.

Is it possible the thermostat got installed backwards, i,e spring towards the hose? this could cause it to not function properly.

Have you tried removing it all together? 9 times out of 10 a cold hose is the thermostat, regardless if it tested good or not.
    1990 Mazda Miata,
    1985 Mercury Capri RS T-Top. FOr sale as a roller, 1000 OBO

Gone and maybe missed
    2003 Cobra,
    1988 Starion
    1972 240z, stock
    1972 240z, Ls1 t56
    1992 mustang gt.
    1971 chevelle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12