Close

Default 1986 3.8 CFI Engine Ruined??

Happy Holidays fellow four eye enthusiasts!
    Since the summer I have been having tremendous problems with my 1986 Mustang v6 vert. It started overheating so I figured the water pump was at fault so I attempted to replace the original one that was on there. As I was removing and installing the old and new one I managed to bugger up the threads going into the block. some I retapped and are working fine while others I used jb weld to fill in. Everything seems to be working fine for now but I am concerned about the future of the motor. Can anyone help me out?

at the worst couldn't you drill out the holes a hair in the water pump and tap the block again? I mean, in the end, if it doesn't leak, you win. I have had to use water pumps with less than the optimal number of bolts and with luck on my side they didn't leak for years.

Blog Entries

I've cheated by threading the stripped hole the next bigger size, in metric if it was imperial, and in imperial if it was metric. You can usually find a bolt that will fit in the through hole in the water pump but is just slightly larger to enable cutting new threads in the stripped hole by swapping out threads like that.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I couldn't drill and retap one of the holes due to a chunk cracking off block after getting a long tap stuck in the bolt hole

well only one bolt missing might not cause a leak...

... unless it happens to be this one bolt...

(image from Haynes manual)
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 12-14-2017 at 02:21 AM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/