Close

Default Need part suggestions and opinions!!

I'm new to the 2.3T scene but have been on forums researching like crazy. I have a stock 85 svo that I'm starting to mod. The turbo was smoking so after some research and reading people's feedback I decided to have it rebuilt by Charlie at evergreen. He's going to be doing the t3/t4 hybrid and working some of his other magic on it. I also purchased a stainless header that retains the stock turbo location.

As for suggestions and opinions on other parts I was curious if a manual boost control off of eBay would be fine to use. And any opinions on a boost gauge.(I don't really trust the nearly 30y/o ones accuracy)

I also would like to get a bov and wanted people's opinions and experiences on one bought from eBay.

I'm probably gonna go with a megasquirt DIY kit since im having a difficult time finding an la3 computer for under $100. anyways i was wondering about the injector size I should run if I go with the ms. If I find an la3 ill just go with brown tops. (I'm upgrading the in tank pump to a 255).

Any other suggestion on parts are appreciated.

There's a guy on Ebay with a good reputation, who sells manual boost controllers. Check out item number: 271152153710. At least that's my story... Or I sell them a few dollars cheaper in the classifieds here... http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=140287

I would expect most aftermarket boost gauges are probably fine. I've got an Autometer in my car, and honestly I'm a bit disappointed with it for the cost.

The majority of new car parts on Ebay are the made in China, knock off variety. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you get garbage. If you have a problem, you're probably never getting your money back or any kind of warranty service. The BOV and intercooler on my car are both Chinese, and they're still questionable parts. They seem to work, but they may work better if they weren't reverse engineered copies of the real thing.

If you want an LA3, go to www.car-part.com and search for an engine computer for a 1988 Turbocoupe. Use the search to find one local, or the price you're looking to spend, and most sellers have a contact link where you can email them or call them, and you can just ask them the code on the computer. I think I paid $30 for my LA3, had it in three days.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

Are you sure that it wasn't the valve seals instead of the turbo ?

Try one of these: http://www.boostvalve.com/product.html

Stock boost gauges were never accuurate.
    86' SVO 1C # 17 of 3379 86's #6475 of 9837
    86' SVO 1C #497 of 3379 86's #6955 of 9837
    84' GT Turbo #4 of 3241 GT Turbo HB's #560 of 3935
    87' Thunderbird TC 1 of 10
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...e-of-the-Month

You are probably going to be best served with a bypass valve instead of a blowoff so as not to cause drivability issues.

This is a good read on what and in what order to mod your 2.3 T

http://www.forced4.com/threestages.html
    Last edited by BrianM; 02-08-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    1970 U14 Bronco
    1983 911 SC
    Sold - 1986 SVO 1D #9823

Thanks for yalls input. I ended up having a friend with a new mbc that he gave me. I also bought a boost gauge.

I'm 100% it was the turbo that was smoking as there was oil smoking out of the turbo and it was making a grinding noise.

I have actually been trying to follow the forced4 mods list. I'm gonna go ahead and go with a ms system and eliminate the vam and go with a wbo2. After I get it wired up I'm gonna run a bov.

I still need suggestions on the injector size I should run?

Once parts come in my mod list will be mbc, ssheader, open downpipe, t3/t4 hybrid, ms, vam removed, filter on the turbo, 255lph fp, and a bov.