Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Build

FEP User

Default Future Build

Im also planning a build and looking for a little fill in information. 85 svo needs a complete restore, after new shocks, i wanna build the engine so that its all new together. Have a complete 85 and 86 svo engines. Pick one to start, thinkin a bore out possibly? bigger everything that should be bigger, cam ect. (fill in) bigger turbo, some 3" piping. Got dreams of two headers instead of just one..kind of a true duel system. With the fuel pump on the rail i was wondering if anyones ever ran side pipes on an SVO? 3" exiting right behind the front wheels perhaps? manifold, boost control switch...ect ect...really lookin for some fill in advice. Mostly wanted to do a return to stock rebuild with the original motor, but since i have a spare...might as well build a beast..so really looking to make it move pretty fast here..thanks in advance guys!

FEP Senior Member

Are you using 2 turbo's? Just thinking about the separate headers and true dual aspect.
    Neal

FEP User

Never really considered two turbos. Not sure what a twin system requires, my knowledge mechanically is extremely limited. Im lookin to have a very quick svo. But not so fast as that its extremely uncomfprtably to drive on the street. Some of the ideas i have may not be possible. But i like to get all the informatiin beforr i start anything.

FEP Senior Member

i would stick to a standard turbo type header available at the 2.3t retailers, a single turbo and an exhaust that splits to a dual setup. You can make a side exhaust but it would be a custom install. How much power you looking for?
    Neal

FEP User

Looking for the 350hp range. if you split a single is it helping or hurting?

FEP User

Sprang an oil leak yesterday, lots of smoke, coming from somewhere under the intrcooler. Thought id poat a pic to get an idea of the car were discussing. Its an 85 with an 86 motor..i think there was a considerable amount of homemade "wire chopping" to make it work..lots of wires that are cut. Go no where...but still ran and drove perfectly till the oil leak. Still dont overheat, just smokes (oil leaking on something hot!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KDavis; 10-20-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Sounds like the oil feed line has cracked. I had that happen and it blew oil all over the top of the turbo and made a smokey mess.

Mike J.
    80 Capri RS turbo(svo in capri clothing)
    86 SVO
    "Doh, Why do my actions have consequences?"

FEP User

i removed the intercooler and looked at the lines but they seem to be safe and secure. seems to be the overhead cam cover?? little uninformed about these things

FEP Senior Member

350 H.P. is attainable. What is your timeframe/budget like? I would do a Boport stage 3 head, with 2.1 cam. i think you wouldn't even need about 15# boost to acheive your goal, and still have great driveability and power to boot.
    Neal

FEP User

Time frame is quite large as i dont beileve ill be parting with the car anytime soon. Sounds like a decent amount of power while retaining a good drivability to me. AS for budget, rather low, but with having so much time can always save for parts. Would like to get this cam cover gasket replaced tho so i can at least tool around town while im collecting info/parts for this build. BTW. Turbo Gauge never has worked since i bought the car, and its really starting to bother me. Maybe some troubleshooting help with a turbo guage fix? and any parts add/replace while changing the cam gasket. Have to remove quite a bit of top parts to get to it, thought id ask while it was open. Thanks in advance.

Not going to be to deep in the motor while changing the valve cover gasket. You need to pull the upper intake and the valve cover. May be a good time to swap out intakes if you have a plan for that. As for the turbo gauge i would look for a crimped vacume hose going to it or it being a bad gauge. The only other option is a split vacume line but that would cause drivability problems being it would act like a vacume/boost leak.

Mike J.
    86 SVO

FEP User

Better intake examples?

Go Fast and Low budget cant be in same sentence....

Gutted upper and ported and knife edge lower is the popular setup. Also if you were going to have the upper turned to run a front mount. I have seen a few custom built intakes. Just a few examples....

I have to agree with Kiwi here tho there is not much budget stuff for these. I have over 4k in my wifes capri in go fast parts not counting the cost of the car and normal upkeep stuff. Hoping with a few more dollars and a tune i will be north of the 300hp range.

Mike J.
    86 SVO

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Go Fast and Low budget cant be in same sentence....
    Perhaps better worded as a slow budget!

FEP Senior Member

Totally posible if you pace yourself. Look in classifieds and buy used parts as they come available. The way many of us are doing it.
    Neal

Quote Originally Posted by neald View Post
    Totally posible if you pace yourself. Look in classifieds and buy used parts as they come available. The way many of us are doing it.
    Thats how i did it. Bought a few key things new but I took my time and picked up things here and there and did everything at one time.

Mike J.
    86 SVO

Quote Originally Posted by neald View Post
    Virtually every part in my Cobra/2.5 build has been purchased second hand, or swapped for. Some of it is brand new, but second hand. And I payed second hand prices for it, or I traded labor for what I wanted.
    The biggest single expense is going to be the machine shop bill, and that's with me doing everything I can myself, including making my own torque plate (in the process right now) because my machinist doesn't have one for a 2.3.

FEP User

Great advice. I have a family member whos a mustang/ford only mechanic. Around here he's only worked on a couple SVO's (ive got it tracked to about 3, wiithin 200 miles, that i know of) but hes knowledgable, and has access to parts/shop/tools. #DavisPerformanceFords

FEP Member

Good luck on the restoration! Its nice to hear about them being saved.

For the restoration I can tell you from personal experience that the engine stuff is the cheapest part of it all. Once you get into the body/interior and getting your hands on hard to get pieces the bill grows substantially.

Once again good luck, keep your head up and in time your hard work will pay off.
    94 GT vert - GT40's, GT40 lower, KB 1.7@11psi, Aeromotive fuel pump, off road Hpipe, quarterhorse, and much MUCH more.
    86 SVO 9L - Mostly Stock 14.5@98mph

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by cipher View Post
    Gutted upper and ported and knife edge lower is the popular setup. Also if you were going to have the upper turned to run a front mount. I have seen a few custom built intakes. Just a few examples....

I have to agree with Kiwi here tho there is not much budget stuff for these. I have over 4k in my wifes capri in go fast parts not counting the cost of the car and normal upkeep stuff. Hoping with a few more dollars and a tune i will be north of the 300hp range.

Mike J.
    More info on a gutted upper and ported and knife edged lower intakes please

This is for the late model square intake only. In a nut shell it is cutting out the center section of the upper intake and smoothing the sides creating more volume of air in the intake. And the lower intake has the center section intake runners bleded together or "knife edged" to create a more stable air flow. Lots of people do their own when it comes to this or let a local machine shop handel it or there is atleast one vendor i know of sells them out of inventory.

Mike J.
    86 SVO

FEP User

Whats a good price for a gutted upper/knife edged lower intakes? New/used? And anywhere to get one neq, or seen any new secondhand or good shape used. And also got to change out the cam cover gasket, and have secured the 2.3 L T manual, i see that i will need a torque wrench, and to follow the order when putting the bolts back, any other advice/walkthrough help? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KDavis View Post
    Whats a good price for a gutted upper/knife edged lower intakes? New/used? And anywhere to get one neq, or seen any new secondhand or good shape used. And also got to change out the cam cover gasket, and have secured the 2.3 L T manual, i see that i will need a torque wrench, and to follow the order when putting the bolts back, any other advice/walkthrough help? Thanks
    Stinger Performance now sells the intakes.

Make sure you get a Ford gasket for the cam cover. While expensive it seems to be the best one, especially if you are taking it off again to do mods later.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by KDavis View Post
    I bought 3 intakes for under $50 and learned to gut and port them myself. It's not hard, and not THAT time consuming.
    MY MUSTANG SVOS

PREVIOUS MUSTANGS :: 1986 SVO & 2005 GT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast