Close

FEP Power Member

Default Hose in firewall dripping water

What is this? Its the rubber hose sticking out of the passenger side firewall just above the exhaust. Is this some type of drain for the wiper grill area in front of the windshield?

Drain for air conditioner.

That the drain is for the A/C evaporator core/housing.

FEP Power Member

Why is it dripping water with the AC off all of a sudden?

condensation building up, drips out of the heater box when necessary.
    Chris Perry
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0
    1984 Thunderbird TC

FEP Power Member

Should it drip without AC or heat being turned on? Does coolant always flow through heater core? Can this cause it due to colder weather? This doesnt mean heater core is about to explode does it?

It also will drip if you run your defroster. it cycles the air conditioner.

CRAZYHORSE is correct....Running the HVAC system in the defrost position will cycle the A/C system.

And yes, coolant always flow through heater core. If the heater core were leaking and draining out of that tube, the coolant should be the same color as in the rest of the system. If what is leaking is clear and the coolant is not, it's not coolant leaking there.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Power Member

If everything is off, what would make this drip? It was a pretty big puddle of clear water under the car. I haven't driven the car all week. Could the colder weather have caused this much condensation? It seems to have slowed down and wasnt dripping after letting the car run a little bit.

One possibility is that the drain itself is partially clogged and the evaporator case is actually full of water/condensation. I have had this happen before and I will tell you that it's amazing how much fluid the case will actually hold!

I would recommend using a thin screwdriver or coat hanger and make sure that the drain hose is fully open. You don't have to insert either very far to clean out the hose so be careful, but definitely swirl either around and make sure it gets any debri out of there. Another option if you have it is a quick blast of compressed air from an air hose, just make sure that you don't use too much pressure otherwise you might get any debri/water splashed inside the passenger footwell.

The other issue I have seen for cars stored outside or in areas with major trees and leaves/pine needles, etc. is that the cowl gets filled up with the leaves etc. and then doesn't drain off the side down the back side of the fenders when it rains, the car gets washed, etc. This can lead to water actually flowing over into the fresh air opening on the passenger side of the cowl and directly into the evaporator case. This can also cause the leaves, etc. to get into the evaporator case and cause cooling issues as well as the plugged drain hose. So I would at least take a flash light and look through the cowl vent cover at the passenger side and see if you have debri in there that could be causing issues.

If needed remove your cowl vent cover and use a shop vac to clean everything out and again dont' forget to clear out the drain hose too.

Best of luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Most likely a bad heater core
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

You may also want to look at your passenger side footwell. Not uncommom for that area to be wet when heater core is leaking.
    Crystal Lake Illinois
    1986 GT 306 S-trim, M2300k, Bullits 450rwhp

Also, if you turn on the heat and it smells like coolant.

Not always like that. But it happens.

I'll need to buy a FORD heater core and replace the one in my LTD LX soon.

WHEN/IF you do the heater core. make sure to put some form of restrictor in the 'in' tube for the core. Something with 1/4" hole in it.

Oh, and a true sign of a bad heater core is when coolant is coming out of the lower vents!

That is when you bypass the heater core asap!

FEP Power Member

I drove the car to work today. I checked the hose when I parked and it was dry. Went outside intermittently and checked and everything is dry at the hose and on the ground. When I did my base idle reset last week, I let the car run for a bit with the AC on as per the instructions. I really didn't drive the car after that. maybe this was enough to accumulate some water in there. I'll keep an eye on it. Its definitely water and not coolant that I noticed yesterday.

FEP Power Member

Still dripping intermittly. Is there any way to confirm without pulling dash apart?

If what is dripping out is still water and does not have any trace of anti-freeze (that assumes you have anti-freeze in your radiator ) then the fluid must be condensation from the evap core.

If you have run the defrost or the regular A/C then it can be normal for some dripping due to high humidity etc. This is no different than the condensation build up you get on the accumulator itself during the heat of summer with the A/C running in those humid months! I know this first hand from many years of living in central TX!

If you have not run the defrost or the A/C and it's still dripping then most likely you are still partially clogged up inside and there is water stuck in the evap case. Did you do any of the items that I suggested several posts back? If not, I would recommend giving them a try and see what happens.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

Well, to answer your question: I dont know. I havent messed with the cooling system since I got the car last year except fir checking and making sure the overflow reservoir is properly filled with coolant. I took the radiator cap off today and the radiatior looks like it is filled with water. Realistically, if the radiator is full of water, then the drip may potentially be the heater core. I guess I may have to drain the radiator and refill it with coolant to see if coolant starts dripping.

FEP Member

Just drive the car and get it up to full temp. If the water coming out of the air box drain is hot its your heater core!

FEP Power Member

I actually considered that and will stick my finger there the next time I see it drip.

I dont know what the low temperature for ATL is tonight but it's 18 for Charlotte. Tomorrow morning, a small water drip out the AC drain will be the absolute smallest problem you will have all day if your cooling system is filled with only water. Trust me, you won't even think about that drain any longer.

The good news is you will get educated in why they call them "freeze plugs"
    Last edited by homer302; 01-22-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Power Member

Ha! We don't get below freezing and the car is inside a garage. I can't imagine that anyone would ever filla radiator with just water, but as I mentioned above, it just has never occured to me to check this.

Quote Originally Posted by HAD85B4 View Post
    Ha! We don't get below freezing and the car is inside a garage.
    Are you SURE you live in Atlanta GA? I know better than that. The forecast low for tonight is 27. Freezing is 32.

http://www.weather.com/weather/today...+USGA0028:1:US
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Power Member

It doesnt get below 32 inside.