Close

Default GT-40P setup questions

As run of the mill it is to go with the GT-40P setup with the explorer intake, I have seen a lot of posts about how the valve springs suck. What brand and spec of spring should I look into buying? Also do I need to change the pushrods? What size TB should I run and should I step up to 24lbs injectors? I wasn't planning on swaping cams but I do have a used N61 Anderson cam that I thought of stabbing in but I don't believe there is sufficient valve clearance. INPUT PLEASE!!!

It's popular to use the trickflow spring kit and tfs stage 1 cam.
    There are dozens of combos but that is a common one.
    Current buggies

83 Mercury capri Crimson int, 331, TKO
    91 Camaro
    85 Full size Bronco
    00 Buell Cyclone
    76 FX
    86 Yamaha TRI-Z 250
    75 OSSA Super pioneer
    02 CR250

Quote Originally Posted by cottonbear View Post
    It's popular to use the trickflow spring kit and tfs stage 1 cam.
    There are dozens of combos but that is a common one.
    This is the set up I'm about to put in my car with the heads milled .010 and the block decked .020. Also another good set up is the same spring kit along with the Anderson n41 cam. Depending on what you want to use the car for will depend a lot on which route to go as far as cam wise.

I've got crane dual springs in mine, and with the cam I have (XE274HR), I had to get slightly longer pushrods.

Gixer7502006 used the Alex's spring kit, and he had to get longer pushrods when he put in the XE274HR cam in his setup, but with the stock cam, he had no issues with the stock pushrods.

Quote Originally Posted by capri2race View Post
    As run of the mill it is to go with the GT-40P setup with the explorer intake, I have seen a lot of posts about how the valve springs suck. What brand and spec of spring should I look into buying? Also do I need to change the pushrods? What size TB should I run and should I step up to 24lbs injectors? I wasn't planning on swaping cams but I do have a used N61 Anderson cam that I thought of stabbing in but I don't believe there is sufficient valve clearance. INPUT PLEASE!!!
    You will definately want to change the valve springs out to something that will match your cam specs. Be sure and also install the good blue valve guide seals. That Anderson N-61 cam is too big for those heads...not to mention you will more than likely need to fly cut the pistons, get longer push rods, etc. The other option you may consider is just leaving the stock cam in there and installing a set of 1.72 ratio roller rocker arms. However, if there are a few miles on the engine you may as well inspect the timing chain for wear and at that point a cam change is easy.

I have the GT40p heads on my car with a Ford Racing E-303 cam and a modified stock 4180c carb. If you are staying fuel injection the TFS-1 cam is probably the better cam for you...or something comparable. Just stay around .500" lift on a 112* LSA.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I have the gt40 heads on my 85 gt with a tfs1 cam and the stock modified 4180. It pulls well. But as said, with those heads the tfs1 cam would be perfect. Or, something with a similar lift. My gt has 9.5:1 compression with those heads
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

I have an E-cam in my gt40p, rest of it is stock (pushrods, pistons, etc.). I did swap out the springs with a set of comp cams that required the top of the valve guide outer diameter (inside the springs) to be cut down a bit. They do make a spring that will clear it. Find that one (sorry I forgot who makes it). The Machine shop that cut down my guides screwed it up and now the seal dont stay on so it puffs a bit. Terrible screw up on something that didnt even need to be done!
    - Ed

'85 Capri RS - "1BADMERC" -'00 GT40P motor & heads, Edelbrock RPM/Holley 650, E303 cam, full length BBK ceramics,5spd/flowmaster 2-chambers/373's
    5 Lug conversion, cobra discs on all four corners, 1" drop

My cowl hood thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=131334

Not to hijack, but I've got an 86 GT EFI, and was hoping to do a similar setup: gt40p heads, intake, and TFS cam. However, I've read that the 86 in particular has flat top pistons and therefore won't allow higher lift cams.

Is that pretty much it? Or are there any cam/heads mods that I can do without swapping pistons?

Quote Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
    Not to hijack, but I've got an 86 GT EFI, and was hoping to do a similar setup: gt40p heads, intake, and TFS cam. However, I've read that the 86 in particular has flat top pistons and therefore won't allow higher lift cams.

Is that pretty much it? Or are there any cam/heads mods that I can do without swapping pistons?
    There is a tool you can utilize to fly cut the pistons with the dismantled heads while the engine is still in the car. I think the twisted wedge heads can also be utilized with a moderate cam.
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I was told by a Ford Tech that you can go with 1.7 rockers on the 86 ( I have an 86 GT) making the lift go from stock .444 to .474 and this will give you more power and a little lope. You have to keep the lift under .500 (on the 86 5.0) or you'll need to fly cut the pistons. I plan on going with GT-40P heads this summer and going with the 1.7 rockers. It already has a GT-40 upper and lower. This setup with the other parts I've been hording,.the car should see 13's or high 12s I was told.
    1966 Big Block Sport Fury.

FEP Power Member

That is ONLY true with the factory E6 heads. The valves are more recessed than the E7 heads. If you change heads to GT40 - you are screwed - unless you fly-cut....

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by 85mcLaren View Post
    That is ONLY true with the factory E6 heads. The valves are more recessed than the E7 heads. If you change heads to GT40 - you are screwed - unless you fly-cut....

Jason
    Thanks and yes I read what he said in the PM to me and you are correct! Only with the stock heads. Sorry about that.
    1966 Big Block Sport Fury.

Well, that's a bummer. Thanks for the info and confirming that.

Would it even be worth porting my E6 heads? Has anyone done this, what kind of gains?
    Last edited by poetnprophet; 01-10-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Well, that's a bummer. Thanks for the info and confirming that.

Would it even be worth porting my E6 heads? Has anyone done this, what kind of gains?
    You could, I did it back in the day with the old D8 heads on my 82 given not alot of choices back then...lots and lots of time! It would be much much easier to get the tool, remove the heads, fly cut the pistons, install new GT40p heads.
    HAD

HAVE

FEP Power Member horsepowerjunkie's Avatar

I bought the through the head piston fly cutter from this company(http://www.lindytools.com/) It is a very nice tool & very simple to use!
    11 GT Black, A6,Steeda CAI, SCT X4, Circle D 4C
    89LX Blk Hatch,363 Dart,C4,T76BB,FAST EFI
    86 Black GT, 331 Dart, S-trim aftercooled, 4R70W
    82 Carpi RS, 306, T5, 8.8 4.10's.
    72 Demon 340 4-speed(one of 1667)
    73 Dart Sport 340, 410ci, Indy 230cnc+, bracket brawler
    01 Ram Quad Cab, 5.9L car hauler
    02 Grizzley 660
    03 Honda VTX 1800

Quote Originally Posted by horsepowerjunkie View Post
    I bought the through the head piston fly cutter from this company(http://www.lindytools.com/) It is a very nice tool & very simple to use!
    nice. I looked into getting that exact tool... glad to hear a review on it before my purchase

So, if I am reading this correctly. My GT40P head w/spring upgrade, B-cam and 1.6 RR's isn't going to work on my 86 motor without fly cutting the pistons?
    Current cars:
    1985 GT

Previous cars:
    The 94OpalGT
    1994 GT Vert
    1986 GT Vert x2
    1989 5.0 Notch
    1982 GT T-Top

You do not need to fly cut the pistons.

P heads, e-cam, exploder intake, crane dual springs, 1.7 RR, 19lb injectors, 255FP, 70mm TB, stock pushrods. That's how my 93 was set up and it made 265hp/300tq.

Quote Originally Posted by Digsj7 View Post
    You do not need to fly cut the pistons.

P heads, e-cam, exploder intake, crane dual springs, 1.7 RR, 19lb injectors, 255FP, 70mm TB, stock pushrods. That's how my 93 was set up and it made 265hp/300tq.
    Ya, but this is a motor out of an 86. 86's had flat top pistons, that's why I'm asking. Every other year had valve reliefs in the pistons, 86's do not.
    Current cars:
    1985 GT

Previous cars:
    The 94OpalGT
    1994 GT Vert
    1986 GT Vert x2
    1989 5.0 Notch
    1982 GT T-Top

anyone else have this issue with an 86 shortblock
    84 Mustang GT (needs restored)
    1986 True Blue Vert

Why not buy the heads you want, clay them and see? If you need to cut valve reliefs then do so, it's not that difficult of a job, if you can change the heads on the car you can cut the reliefs, just a little intimidating the first time (but so was a lot of other jobs you do on the car).

North Florida/ "Way Down Yander On the Chattahoochee"

Quote Originally Posted by Wikd331 View Post
    anyone else have this issue with an 86 shortblock
    I had a set of GT40's on an 86 shortblock with 1.6 rockers and stock 86 cam, worked fine. You can run E7's, GT40's, or GT40P's as long as you have 1.6 rockers, not shaved the heads, not decked the block, and have a stock cam.
    69 Mustang Fastback= EXPENSIVE
    84 SVO= project pick up the front wheels
    86 Coupe= project show car
    87 Mark-VII Vortech'd351/T56= TROUBLE
    93 Town&Country= DD/work van
    96 F150 Lightning FlareSide= boat hauler
    99 P71 the "PO-RAUDER"=weekend ride (awaiting built motor)
    00 Excursion 7.3PSD= long distance trips
    05 F250 V10 SCSB= the Hot-Rod pick-up, trailer puller
    Wifes rides: 97 Exploraineer Sport V8= DD, 93 GT 2.3t/T5= backup, 05 F250 SCSB 4X4= toy