Close

Default Fairmont lowering springs

Will after market loweing springs for a 1983 Mustng fit my 1983 Fairmont Futura, I have converted from a 6 cyclinder to a 5.0. Seems I can't find any lowering springs that state they will fit a Fairmont...

The mustang springs will physically fit the Fairmont. The problem is that the rear mustang springs are way too soft.
    The Fleet:

'79 Fairmont Boxtop: The turbo-box
    '79 Fairmont Boxtop: The wife's car. 200/auto, factory sunroof.
    2010 Chevy Silverado: The DD/Tow rig.

Maybe look at some convertible Stang springs?
    They are stiffer, especially in the back.

My son used stock replacement springs for an I6 Fairmont, figuring the v8 would keep it stock height or lower. He was actually hoping for a little lower. It didn't work. The back springs were too low, and the front springs were too high.

We ended up cutting the front springs to get back to stock height, and we are going to try a stock set of 94 convertible rear springs in the back soon to get some support there. Not only is the rear too low, but they sag even if one person sits in the car besides the driver... and those were stock replacements.

The originals that we replaced were better on load capacity, but they were sagging unevenly, so going back wasn't an option. In other words, the back set too low with the springs that came in the car in 81, but you could still put 5 people in the car without it sagging like the new set does with 2 or 3 people.

You might check out the Ford Performance alphabet springs. They are all lowering springs for Foxes, and some have really stiff rear springs. Forgot which one(s) are soft and which are stiff, but I know the ones listed for verts are the stiffest.
    Last edited by ratio411; 01-07-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Default lowering springs

The 1983 Ford Mustang Springs are advertised to lower the front and the back of the Mustang 2 inches..

My question is this will those after market springs work on my 1983 Fairmont with a V8.

After I switched out the I6 for the 5.0 the front end did not drop on bit and the back end looks like it is a little lower. I want to lower the front end 2 inches and the rear 1.5 to two inches. On Ebay there are plenty of spring kits for Mustangs that claim they will lower the Mustang 1.5 to 2.0 inches.

thanks in advance,
    TexasFairmont

My dad and I both used 2" lowering springs from ebay on our fairmonts and they worked out perfectly. I think they were listed for a ('79 to '93) or ('79 to '87) mustang. However if you're looking to lower your fairmont 2 inches be prepared for the front tires to rub on the fenders unless you plan on running smaller tires in the front. 17's don't fit the greatest

I am planning to run 15" wheels all around-just don't know what tires will fit and will not rub front, and what would be the biggest tired I can run on the back--I am running the 15" Turbine wheels. Does anybody know what is the biggest tire I can run on the back wheels??

TEEJAYEE what is the color you painted the engine bay???
    Last edited by texasfairmont; 01-07-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasfairmont View Post
    I am planning to run 15" wheels all around-just don't know what tires will fit and will not rub front, and what would be the biggest tired I can run on the back--I am running the 15" Turbine wheels. Does anybody know what is the biggest tire I can run on the back wheels??

TEEJAYTEE what is the color you painted the engine bay???

The color is 2006 Nissan "smoke" grey with 60% flex-flat clear.

I'm not sure what size tire you can run with a 15" rim, but i fit a 275/40r17 on the back of mine. I think my rims are 8" wide. A 9" rim would maybe fit, but you'd have to trim a lot off the outside lip and possibly beat the inside of the wheel well where it's flush with the shock. We had to cut about a quarter of an inch off the outside lip to make sure they wouldn't rub.

Here's some pics of the back. It's close..

Hope this is helpful..

I also have pictures and specs of the tires my dad ran on the front of his farimont(he's running 15's)

TeeJayTee,
    Thanks for the help and if you do have some time please list the pics of your Dad's 15's tires and spec that he ran on the front of his Fairmont
    thanking U in advance..

Quote Originally Posted by texasfairmont View Post
    TeeJayTee,
    Thanks for the help and if you do have some time please list the pics of your Dad's 15's tires and spec that he ran on the front of his Fairmont
    thanking U in advance..
    He's running a 4.5" rim with 185/60r15 not sure on the backspacing, but it could be a little bigger to tuck the wheel more. The tire is a bit wide for the rim, but he couldn't find anything smaller at the local discount tire haha But i would say you could run a 7" with the right backspacing with no problem. You wont be able to run much of a lip on the front rims (or back for that matter), but a 7" is for sure possible. His fender is also rolled quiet a bit..

(tires are a little flat with the cold weather)

I can get some better pictures too. I didn't notice how dark these ones were

Do you have a picture of the rims you want to run? (PM me if i'm taking up to much of your thread haha i guess this is sorta off topic)

Um... With the right offset you can run up to a 10" wheel in back and 9" in front i dont know where you guys are getting things like a 9" might fit in back and a 7" would be tight in front.
    2013 Focus ST3 2.0 turbo 6 speed

85 LTD, 90k miles, 3.8/c5,For sale... Or restomod if it doesn't sell

87 Conquest TSI widebody 2.6 Turbo/5speed, also maybe for sale

94 Tempo 3.0v6/5speed 92 GLS clone project

90 gmc sierra 2wd short box. 73k showroom condition, fender flares, 31" BFG All terrain. 350ci 4.10 gear

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome_Rush View Post
    Um... With the right offset you can run up to a 10" wheel in back and 9" in front i dont know where you guys are getting things like a 9" might fit in back and a 7" would be tight in front.
    Lowered 2"? Pictures please!!

Just look around here. There are tons of guys running 10" out back and 9" up front with little to no moddifications even lowered. I have had 17x8.5" wheels on all 4 corners on my ltd with no issue and still plenty of room in back for more.
    2013 Focus ST3 2.0 turbo 6 speed

85 LTD, 90k miles, 3.8/c5,For sale... Or restomod if it doesn't sell

87 Conquest TSI widebody 2.6 Turbo/5speed, also maybe for sale

94 Tempo 3.0v6/5speed 92 GLS clone project

90 gmc sierra 2wd short box. 73k showroom condition, fender flares, 31" BFG All terrain. 350ci 4.10 gear

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome_Rush View Post
    Just look around here. There are tons of guys running 10" out back and 9" up front with little to no moddifications even lowered. I have had 17x8.5" wheels on all 4 corners on my ltd with no issue and still plenty of room in back for more.
    That's odd.. I wonder if my rims are 17x9 then? i can barely fit them in the front and as you can see there's not really any room for a bigger wheel in the back.. I'm not an expert. I was just sharing what my experience was. I guess if you fit them then it will work..

I'm running the Mustang 15 " Turbine wheels... FYI just ordered the 2" lowering springs-next I am going to order the front struts...finish up on the interior then off to the paint booth--still have not made my mind up on what color to paint the car..

I would like to point out that the rim/tire widths that fit using one diameter, may not fit using another diameter rim. Just a heads up...

Just because you can fit a 17" x 9" rim, for example, doesn't mean that the same width and/or backspace will work for a 15" rim. It doesn't seem like it would make much difference, but it does.

Oh, and we just put some 8.5" rims/245-40 tires on the front of the 81, and they are doing fine. I know that doesn't help much, because I don't know the backspace, but it's just a confirmation that 9" isn't a stretch if done right.