Close

Thread: Purge valve

Default Purge valve

I actually started this in the general section, not realizing that the SVO was really unique in its EVAP system.

I've looked into the manuals, and I'm wondering ... The SVO didn't have a purge control solenoid, didn't it.

At least not the 85.

I'm beginning to understand why the emissions techs were looking at my car so curiously. I'm sure they were expecting what they find on any other Mustang, but the SVO EVAP is completely unique. The tech didn't even think the cardboard and aluminum hose was factory (on my car its the hose to nowhere that is supposed to hook into the now non-existent air filter can and the vapor canister). The 85 shop manual shows it is correct, but doesn't show where the purge valve is. And the hose is all wrong for what I see offered as a purge solenoid from the auto parts stores. And beside the big hose to the air filter, and the little hose from the tank, I don't see a third option.

Did it really have nothing controlling the fumes from the canister? Or is that hose just an inlet for air, and I'm missing the outlet to the intake (and so did the emission techs)?

Not 100% clear on the question, but the EFI 2.3 turbo stuff had a simple system. The vent line from the tank went to the charcoal canister, then a flex line (I think what you describe as cheap flex) went to an elbow between the stock air filter housing and the VAM meter. Anything coming off the canister was drawn into the VAM then into the engine. No solenoid, no control at all.

I think this is what you was asking about.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137